Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 1:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Oct 2019, 8:59am
The trip is being funded on the assumption they're going to find a yeti? There'll be no Christmas party this year because of dumb-ass expenditures that lead to no stories. Also, Mark seems to suggest that he's going to murder Dr. Camel, as he well should.
If he can hold out, the yeti will do it for him and his hands will be clean.
And then create a brand new strip, Trail and Yeti, about a mysterious pair of assassins.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

So with the new Joker movie, there's been a shit-ton of stuff comparing/ranking the various portrayals over the years. The one that surprises me for praise is Jack Nicholson. I could never buy him as a character—everything about his portrayal was "that Jack Nicholson character." I never forgot for a second who the actor was. Heath Ledger sold me on the Joker as an absolute violent lunatic, while Mark Hamill's animated version captured so well the comic version up until the comics went super dark. But Nicholson? He may as well have been watching a Laker's game.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 5:14pm
So with the new Joker movie, there's been a shit-ton of stuff comparing/ranking the various portrayals over the years. The one that surprises me for praise is Jack Nicholson. I could never buy him as a character—everything about his portrayal was "that Jack Nicholson character." I never forgot for a second who the actor was. Heath Ledger sold me on the Joker as an absolute violent lunatic, while Mark Hamill's animated version captured so well the comic version up until the comics went super dark. But Nicholson? He may as well have been watching a Laker's game.
It's all nostalgia for those Burton films, which—let's be honest—are not quality viewing as an adult.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 6:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 5:14pm
It's all nostalgia for those Burton films, which—let's be honest—are not quality viewing as an adult.
What I remember most (favourably) about the Burton films is the sets. No real interest in seeing them again, tho.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Ive never taken to any of the Batman movies. Granted I haven't seen them all. I find hype ruins things so when there is so much hype I usually dont bother but the ones I have sort of watched didn't do much for me.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 7:16pm
Ive never taken to any of the Batman movies. Granted I haven't seen them all. I find hype ruins things so when there is so much hype I usually dont bother but the ones I have sort of watched didn't do much for me.
I like the Nolan ones mostly, but the animated series from the 90s best captures my Batman.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 8:03pm
revbob wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 7:16pm
I like the Nolan ones mostly, but the animated series from the 90s best captures my Batman.
I just watched the Nolan ones again a couple of weeks ago and the dialogue does not age well. These are very corny films. TAS is the proper Batman.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Bruce Timm Batman > Batman '66 > Burton Batman > Nolan Batman > Shumacher Batman

TAS and its affiliated shows are obviously the gold standard. The perfect balance. Batman '66 is utter delight and Batman should dance. Burton's Batman films are funnier and more whimsical and ridiculous than they get credit for. Nolan's Batman is utterly humorless, which isn't an interpretation of Batman (or any Comics Books Superheroes really) that I have much time for these days. As a trilogy, the story plotting is still pretty good with Nolan, tho. Shumacher Bats has its moments - at least it doesn't act like being sourced from comics is a shameful thing - but there's too much 90s in it to really rate it much.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

All this Batman stuff is great but what about Mark Trail and the Yeti?

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I came across this page again recently and remembered I will forever post screens of this Flintstones run to this thread:

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Inder wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 11:20pm
I came across this page again recently and remembered I will forever post screens of this Flintstones run to this thread:

That fucking comic is so damn good.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

revbob wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 3:48pm
All this Batman stuff is great but what about Mark Trail and the Yeti?
Word.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Wolter wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 11:58pm
Inder wrote:

Looks interesting. What is it?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Olaf wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 9:30am
Wolter wrote:
Inder wrote:

DC did/is doing a series of modernized Hanna-Barbera comic runs, of which this Flintstones 12-issue run is the best. More info here: https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-flintstones ... 1795933097

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Kory wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 3:43pm
Olaf wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 9:30am
Wolter wrote:
Inder wrote:

DC did/is doing a series of modernized Hanna-Barbera comic runs, of which this Flintstones 12-issue run is the best. More info here: https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-flintstones ... 1795933097
Thanks, I'll check it out.