Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 10:54am
People working in a medium seemingly hate that medium so they use the language of a more popular medium, even if it makes no sense.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/marvels-adding- ... 1820638852
I kind of want to stop reading Marvel comics but I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS IN X-MEN
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 1:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
People working in a medium seemingly hate that medium so they use the language of a more popular medium, even if it makes no sense.
I kind of want to stop reading Marvel comics but I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS IN X-MEN
People die, they come back to life, except much more convoluted.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

i canceled all my digital comic book subscriptions earlier this year and haven't looked back. I might catch up on some of the Archie titles at some point, but I could not give less of a fuck about anything happening in superhero world these days.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 1:48pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I don't want to pick it up in 5 years and have to figure out whatever the new status quo is.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 1:50pm
i canceled all my digital comic book subscriptions earlier this year and haven't looked back. I might catch up on some of the Archie titles at some point, but I could not give less of a fuck about anything happening in superhero world these days.
That's why you should be subscribing to Image titles.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 1:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I don't want to pick it up in 5 years and have to figure out whatever the new status quo is.
In hindsight, X-Men started going to fuck with the Dark Phoenix story. Sure, some good stories here and there, but as a trajectory it piled on the ridiculous to the point of total bafflement.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
Shittiness of superhero comics aside, I just don't have the time or mental bandwidth to keep up. For example, I enjoyed SexCrims, Saga and WicDiv but I don't have the time or energy to follow it month after month. When I have free time to read, I'd rather just read a goddamned book.

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

I've found that what I used to consider a strength of comics (and other Nerd Shit) - labyrinthine and layered continuity and history - has become a total turn-off now. I just don't have time to care. That doesn't mean I'm reading, uh, Tom Clancy novels and watching Big Bang Theory or whatever, but I find it's easier for my brain to latch onto, say, The Americans than The Punisher. Same with why I still find Archie comics kinda appealing but have jettisoned almost everything else.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 2:04pm
I've found that what I used to consider a strength of comics (and other Nerd Shit) - labyrinthine and layered continuity and history - has become a total turn-off now. I just don't have time to care. That doesn't mean I'm reading, uh, Tom Clancy novels and watching Big Bang Theory or whatever, but I find it's easier for my brain to latch onto, say, The Americans than The Punisher. Same with why I still find Archie comics kinda appealing but have jettisoned almost everything else.
In it's own way, it's like the scholar's burden—there's just so much history loaded onto comic book characters that it's a chore to feel competent to read (and write) stories about them. it was easier in the past to read Spider-man or study American slavery because there wasn't as much stuff to read to feel like you had a handle on things.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 2:36pm
Flex wrote:
In it's own way, it's like the scholar's burden—there's just so much history loaded onto comic book characters that it's a chore to feel competent to read (and write) stories about them. it was easier in the past to read Spider-man or study American slavery because there wasn't as much stuff to read to feel like you had a handle on things.
Spider-Man did a great job trapping Jefferson Davis in his web.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 2:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 2:36pm
Flex wrote:
Spider-Man did a great job trapping Jefferson Davis in his web.
Yeah, but he failed to stop the Green Goblin from knocking Abe Lincoln off the Brooklyn Bridge.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I mainly go back and read Bronze Age stuff.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 3:04pm
I mainly go back and read Bronze Age stuff.
In a way, that's me, too. The comics I love the most were the ones I read or discovered before I was around 14. They worked the continuity game but things weren't as complex then. Even more, tho, they activate in me the thrill I had when I was kid and read them for the first time. Plenty of new comics that I dig, but I can never approach them the way I did when I was 10. Gerry Conway's and Len Wein's Spider-man comics in the mid-70s are perfect to me now because they were perfect when I was a kid.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 1:59pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
In hindsight, X-Men started going to fuck with the Dark Phoenix story. Sure, some good stories here and there, but as a trajectory it piled on the ridiculous to the point of total bafflement.
I don't think I can agree with that. That's way too early on.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 2:00pm
Kory wrote:
Shittiness of superhero comics aside, I just don't have the time or mental bandwidth to keep up. For example, I enjoyed SexCrims, Saga and WicDiv but I don't have the time or energy to follow it month after month. When I have free time to read, I'd rather just read a goddamned book.
Trades are good for that, you can read 5 (or more if you wait for a couple volumes) issues at once and get a sense of the larger story.