Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 9:53am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 9:30am
revbob wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 9:20am
Not a guy, tho, so she'd be insufficient.
I guess Homelander works in that scenario.
I remember reading something a few years back that many right-wing viewers didn't realize that Homelander was actually a villain.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 9:59am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
I remember reading something a few years back that many right-wing viewers didn't realize that Homelander was actually a villain.
Yeah, I imagine that number has probably grown.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 10:23am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 9:59am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Yeah, I imagine that number has probably grown.
Like those who watched Colbert's old show and thought he was a straight up O'Reilly type. Which is remarkably dense on so many levels. But then Archie Bunker proved to be appealing to a lot of viewers, to the surprise of the writers.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

There's something very creepy about Jeffy's observation. Maybe it's that I hear him speaking without inflection, like Regan telling the astronaut he's going to die up in space.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

When in doubt, always go for the monsters.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

The 60s were truly amazing.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1709801933484.jpg
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

So since the X-Men '97 cartoon premiered (and well before, really), online X-fandom has been overtaken by a (perhaps not so) baffling influx of dudes complaining about how the X-Men have become woke, people that largely think (or at least claim to think) that the comic/cartoon was only ever about fighting robots and nothing deeper (never mind what the robots were built for), and very recently, people cheering on the X-Cutioner in his bid to kill mutants in order to preserve humanity. It's been weird.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
25 Mar 2024, 2:30pm
So since the X-Men '97 cartoon premiered (and well before, really), online X-fandom has been overtaken by a (perhaps not so) baffling influx of dudes complaining about how the X-Men have become woke, people that largely think (or at least claim to think) that the comic/cartoon was only ever about fighting robots and nothing deeper (never mind what the robots were built for), and very recently, people cheering on the X-Cutioner in his bid to kill mutants in order to preserve humanity. It's been weird.
I can't believe comic book fans are that oblivious, but I can buy that the Very Online kind are. Like, Christ, the X-Men was never subtle about it social commentary almost from the start. Yes, and Planet of the Apes is just about talking gorillas on horses.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Mar 2024, 5:10pm
Kory wrote:
I can't believe comic book fans are that oblivious, but I can buy that the Very Online kind are. Like, Christ, the X-Men was never subtle about it social commentary almost from the start. Yes, and Planet of the Apes is just about talking gorillas on horses.
I think there's probably a large number of Comicsgate people whose adherence to EVS and his ilk might have made their brains melt enough that they forgot the entire point of X-Men, but I agree it's probably mostly people who watched the cartoon and didn't think much about what they were looking at.

Now, this Apes thing...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
25 Mar 2024, 6:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I think there's probably a large number of Comicsgate people whose adherence to EVS and his ilk might have made their brains melt enough that they forgot the entire point of X-Men, but I agree it's probably mostly people who watched the cartoon and didn't think much about what they were looking at.

Now, this Apes thing...
Aside: My favourite odd dialogue from the original cartoon:
Scott: I love you, Jean.
Jean: I love you, too, Cyclops.

I love you so much, I'll use your superhero name, even tho you used my real name.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Mar 2024, 6:50pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Now, this Apes thing...

I love you so much, I'll use your superhero name, even tho you used my real name.
To be fair, her superhero name at the time was "Jean Grey."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
25 Mar 2024, 7:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Mar 2024, 6:50pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Now, this Apes thing...

To be fair, her superhero name at the time was "Jean Grey."
Then he should have said "Jean Grey." Which would have added to the awkwardness of two people who claimed to love each other, but would have added some consistency.

I remember, tho, back in the 90s, The Boss always laughed at Wolverine's rather desperate cries of "Jean!"