Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I like how passive-aggressive that headline is.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Been revisiting Morrison’s JLA run, which meant stopping to take in DC One Million. I think, in hindsight, this might be my favorite Big Crossover Event in comics. It mostly works, it doesn’t even really upset any of the storylines in the company line, since the issues are mostly one-shots that don’t affect continuity outside the event, and it has an acceptably satisfying wrap-up. Shame that a lot if the art/coloring are in that very much 1998 style, but that’s true of the entire era.

Also, it’s amazing how many seeds planted in it offhand come up in All-Star Superman like what...8 years later?
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Inder wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 6:44pm
Damn, Bill.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I never venture to the Den, but is it common knowledge that Vermont Senator Patrick Leahy has cameos in Schumacher AND Nolan Batman movies? Also the 90s animated series and one of the Affleck Batman movies? It was news to me.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 7:07pm
I never venture to the Den, but is it common knowledge that Vermont Senator Patrick Leahy has cameos in Schumacher AND Nolan Batman movies? Also the 90s animated series and one of the Affleck Batman movies? It was news to me.
Common knowledge for us Vermonters.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

revbob wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 8:10pm
matedog wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 7:07pm
Common knowledge for us Vermonters.
I was aware of it. It’s one of those weird trivia moments where I forget it until I’m reminded.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

So, I’ve been rereading Amazing Spider-Man lately from the beginning. I’m up to the late 60s, trying to ride it out until at least the initial McFarlane run.

Anyway, there’s a scene where Jonah offers a desperate Peter 5 bucks a photo for some Spider-Man pics. It’s rightly showing him as cheap, but adjusted for inflation and based on some cursory searches of freelance rates, it’s comparable to a lot of modern papers’ payments. Which is less of a defense of JJJ and more an indictment of the gig economy.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 12:46pm
So, I’ve been rereading Amazing Spider-Man lately from the beginning. I’m up to the late 60s, trying to ride it out until at least the initial McFarlane run.

Anyway, there’s a scene where Jonah offers a desperate Peter 5 bucks a photo for some Spider-Man pics. It’s rightly showing him as cheap, but adjusted for inflation and based on some cursory searches of freelance rates, it’s comparable to a lot of modern papers’ payments. Which is less of a defense of JJJ and more an indictment of the gig economy.
Oof. So JJJ's cartoonish miserliness has achieved the mainstream.

A couple days ago, I was think of doing a partial re-read of "my" Spider-man—the Conway/Andru and Wein/Andru issues that I started with. They'll always be absolutely perfect. Maybe let me know when you get up to there and we can annoy people here drooling about Hammerhead's ghost.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 1:25pm
Wolter wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 12:46pm

Oof. So JJJ's cartoonish miserliness has achieved the mainstream.

A couple days ago, I was think of doing a partial re-read of "my" Spider-man—the Conway/Andru and Wein/Andru issues that I started with. They'll always be absolutely perfect. Maybe let me know when you get up to there and we can annoy people here drooling about Hammerhead's ghost.
It probably won’t be too long. I’m very close to the dawn of the 70s. I think I’m 14 issues from the weird “six arms” storyline and the first appearance of Morbius.

EDIT: well, I think I just crossed the 70s line. The Black Widow updated her costume for “The Swingy Seventies.”

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Spider-Man has always been in the pocket of Big Jim Murphy.
Attachments
1E94BE34-BBCD-499E-BC09-0B4A762D94D6.jpeg

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Wolter wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 1:32pm
The Silent Majority would have made a good Nixon voting flag fuckin' buzzcut sporting Punisher style villain.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 1:34pm
Wolter wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 1:32pm
The Silent Majority would have made a good Nixon voting flag fuckin' buzzcut sporting Punisher style villain.
I’m surprised Englehart’s Cap run didn’t have that.