Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 1:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 9:24am
This is like a comedian fucking up a joke. The first two panels are the set-up and the last panel the punchline, but they got their notecards mixed up with another joke.
I dunno, it makes sense to me. Clearly there's some fucking dinosaurs out there, and Mark feels like he needs to remind his young ward not to get eaten, but he really can't contain his pleasure at the thought.
Living on the Left Coast has really confused you about reality.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 1:49pm
Well, I've finished my Cerebus re-read and decided to re-read Uncanny X-Men, adjectiveless X-Men, New Mutants (dropping off after Weezy comes on board), Excalibur (dropping off when Ellis comes on board) from Claremont to current. Wish me luck.
Your challenge is to identify the exact moment the X titles became a complete clusterfuck.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 1:51pm
Kory wrote:
Well, I've finished my Cerebus re-read and decided to re-read Uncanny X-Men, adjectiveless X-Men, New Mutants (dropping off after Weezy comes on board), Excalibur (dropping off when Ellis comes on board) from Claremont to current. Wish me luck.
Your challenge is to identify the exact moment the X titles became a complete clusterfuck.
Inferno. Still like it though.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 2:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I just read the Wikipedia summary. That's like a distillation of why I abandoned the X-Men (mostly—I did like Grant Morrison's run).

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 2:30pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I just read the Wikipedia summary. That's like a distillation of why I abandoned the X-Men (mostly—I did like Grant Morrison's run).
I didn't care much for Morrison on first read but I may change my mind this time. I really like a large chunk from House of M onward, mostly because it pulled off the impossible task of making Cyclops interesting.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 2:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 2:30pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I didn't care much for Morrison on first read but I may change my mind this time. I really like a large chunk from House of M onward, mostly because it pulled off the impossible task of making Cyclops interesting.
So much of my snarky conception of X-Men is driven from the 90s cartoon. All Cyclops ever does is shout, "Jean!" and Wolverine calls everyone a dirtbag. That and my favourite line: "I love you, Cyclops." That's pretty much it.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I love Inferno and I loved the Morrison run. I bailed for a decade in the early 90s at the proper point: Trevor Fucking Fitzroy.

Cyclops is a LOT better if you ignore the 90s cartoon 100%. Hes the fucking worst in that.

EDIT: also love Weezy’s New Mutants. Brett Blevins makes me happy.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 7:24pm
I love Inferno and I loved the Morrison run. I bailed for a decade in the early 90s at the proper point: Trevor Fucking Fitzroy.

Cyclops is a LOT better if you ignore the 90s cartoon 100%. Hes the fucking worst in that.

I might the NM back 50 another spin. I don't have easy access to them, so my view is tainted by my cynical teenage years reading that one where Sam tries to leather it up for Lila Cheney, and then anything with fuckin Birdbrain.

I agree about Fitzroy.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 9:33pm
Wolter wrote:

I might the NM back 50 another spin. I don't have easy access to them, so my view is tainted by my cynical teenage years reading that one where Sam tries to leather it up for Lila Cheney, and then anything with fuckin Birdbrain.

I agree about Fitzroy.
Birdbrain isn’t a high point, but Sam leathering it up for Lila is so damn funny.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
This is like a comedian fucking up a joke. The first two panels are the set-up and the last panel the punchline, but they got their notecards mixed up with another joke.
I think Mark Trail is operating on a much higher level.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 9:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I think Mark Trail is operating on a much higher level.
It's hard not to think that it's avant garde infiltration into mass circulation.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 9:44pm
Kory wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 9:33pm
Wolter wrote:

I agree about Fitzroy.
Birdbrain isn’t a high point, but Sam leathering it up for Lila is so damn funny.
I think at the time (I must have been 11 or 12) I was angry that he hadn't grown a spine yet, but I think I might enjoy it more now. I wish they were collected in book form like the Claremont stuff.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

The thing I really dig about Claremont's run is that it's so long. Allowing a spandex team to grow and develop under one writer's vision for 17 years is super rare if not unheard of, especially at the time.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

tumblr_ozef75OHDa1wsbn2ao1_1280.jpg
tumblr_ozef75OHDa1wsbn2ao1_1280.jpg (110.89 KiB) Viewed 907 times

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 10:27pm
The thing I really dig about Claremont's run is that it's so long. Allowing a spandex team to grow and develop under one writer's vision for 17 years is super rare if not unheard of, especially at the time.
I agree. It’s cool to see him have the time to seed things in and let them breathe.