Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Took a break from writing to (re)read this. When I was a kid, my public library had a whole bunch of the Tintin (and Asterix) books, which I'd sign out over and over again. There's a lot of European racist imperialist fantasy at work—the white man in peril amongst the savages—but the combination of nostalgia and the awe-filled adventure still succeeds for me.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

True story:
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 2:42pm
Took a break from writing to (re)read this. When I was a kid, my public library had a whole bunch of the Tintin (and Asterix) books, which I'd sign out over and over again. There's a lot of European racist imperialist fantasy at work—the white man in peril amongst the savages—but the combination of nostalgia and the awe-filled adventure still succeeds for me.
Yeah thats pretty much my take on this stuff. Someone bought a book for my kid and I hated it. He wanted me to read it and I was constantly trying to neutralize the bullshit while reading it to him.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 7:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 2:42pm
Yeah thats pretty much my take on this stuff. Someone bought a book for my kid and I hated it. He wanted me to read it and I was constantly trying to neutralize the bullshit while reading it to him.
There are some Tintin stories that stay away from that crap. Still, it's a bit shocking at times realizing the stuff that I glossed over as a kid.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Oh yeah. The good Tintin stories are excellent but the bad ones. WHOO BOY.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 4:44pm
True story:
But what would we do without Dark Avengers?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

If true, this is kind of sad — in the same sort of way if the Simpsons quietly disappeared one day without any announcement or fanfare. I don't know anyone who's read a new MAD issue since like the early 90s, but it feels like the end of something.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 8:57pm
If true, this is kind of sad — in the same sort of way if the Simpsons quietly disappeared one day without any announcement or fanfare. I don't know anyone who's read a new MAD issue since like the early 90s, but it feels like the end of something.

Ultimately it was a victim of its own success. It guided a certain cynical and snarky view of celebrity and traditional morality to such a degree that it's commonplace. So much so that what it specialized in felt too meh. I adored it in the 70s and esrly 80s, but even when looking at old issues, there's a certain shrug now, a cynicism applied to the teacher.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Lived the mag as a kid, sad both that it's shutting down and how much of a shadow of its former self it became.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I just picked up a lovingly hardbound and slipcased collection of the magazine Humbug, which came after Mad and Trump. Looks to be the height of satire, despite only running for (I think) 12 issues.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 1:31pm
I just picked up a lovingly hardbound and slipcased collection of the magazine Humbug, which came after Mad and Trump. Looks to be the height of satire, despite only running for (I think) 12 issues.
I've never heard of this but wish I'd known about it when I was researching for my diss, as it looks quite rich.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 1:35pm
Kory wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 1:31pm
I've never heard of this but wish I'd known about it when I was researching for my diss, as it looks quite rich.
Yeah, I couldn't NOT pick it up after flipping through it. Have yet to read it though.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

For those who don't read Mark Trail—i.e., everyone except me and revbob—the search for Doc's gold has been like real gold prospecting: fucking dull and tedious. But gold-mining lore expert JJ, seemingly killed in a flash flood, has reappeared to explain the perils of entrepreneurship:

Tomorrow: Mark recommends buying municipal bonds as both a solid financial investment and an investment in civic culture.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

see folks? capitalism doesn't work!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

How are they not gazing in wonder at that wolf hunt behind them?