Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Post by Wolter »

eumaas wrote:
05 Dec 2017, 9:39am
Wolter wrote:
05 Dec 2017, 9:36am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Dec 2017, 8:57am
Mark Trail has become the most fascinating strip for strange, seemingly unconnected panels.
Oh my god.
what is this fucking thing about anyway?
Walruses and clowns, man.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://io9.gizmodo.com/professor-x-is- ... 1821100260
Prof. X was dead? Huh.
Prof. X isn't dead? Of course.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 7:47am
Prof. X was dead? Huh.
Yeah, Cyke killed him while possessed by the Phoenix force during Avengers vs. X-Men a few years ago. It kickstarted Cyclops being rad as hell.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 2:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Prof. X was dead? Huh.
Yeah, Cyke killed him while possessed by the Phoenix force during Avengers vs. X-Men a few years ago. It kickstarted Cyclops being rad as hell.
Did he yell out “Jean!” like he seemed to do all the time in the X-men cartoon?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 2:44pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Prof. X was dead? Huh.
Nah, it was more a personal thing between the two of them—Scott resenting Xavier's father-figure status in his life, and the Phoenix pushing him much farther than he would have gone otherwise. Besides, Jean has impressively remained dead since the Morrisson run. Scott had Emma to help him "heal."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 2:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Prof. X was dead? Huh.
Nah, it was more a personal thing between the two of them—Scott resenting Xavier's father-figure status in his life, and the Phoenix pushing him much farther than he would have gone otherwise. Besides, Jean has impressively remained dead since the Morrisson run. Scott had Emma to help him "heal."
I understand that a younger time-traveling version is alive and well in the present. Because X-Men stuff is utterly crazy.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 3:45pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Prof. X was dead? Huh.
I understand that a younger time-traveling version is alive and well in the present. Because X-Men stuff is utterly crazy.
Yeah, Hank went back to get the young X-Men to try and remind Scott of the kind of guy he used to be and get him off this whole "mutant terrorist" thing he was on. It didn't work, and now they're stuck here.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 7:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Yeah, Hank went back to get the young X-Men to try and remind Scott of the kind of guy he used to be and get him off this whole "mutant terrorist" thing he was on. It didn't work, and now they're stuck here.
Isn't that kind of an admission that the X-universe is really fucked up and convoluted and desiring the simplicity of the past? Of course, bringing the past into the future just adds to the fuckedupedness, but whatever.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 8:15pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Isn't that kind of an admission that the X-universe is really fucked up and convoluted and desiring the simplicity of the past? Of course, bringing the past into the future just adds to the fuckedupedness, but whatever.
I would say it's only an admission of fucked-upedness if the admitter thinks that way about it. I don't mind it. It hasn't been my favorite aspect of the recent stuff, but there was some interesting writing revolving around young Scott trying to come to terms with everyone around him thinking he would turn out like older Scott. Jean is now the leader of the team, so it's also cool to see Scott in the backseat a bit.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 8:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

I would say it's only an admission of fucked-upedness if the admitter thinks that way about it. I don't mind it. It hasn't been my favorite aspect of the recent stuff, but there was some interesting writing revolving around young Scott trying to come to terms with everyone around him thinking he would turn out like older Scott. Jean is now the leader of the team, so it's also cool to see Scott in the backseat a bit.
Fair enough. I have, of course, not read any of it. But it sounds like a gimmick to get out of a trap (in the same way that the second clone saga was a gimmick to get rid of a married Spider-man and then the eventual deal with the devil to do the same).

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 8:54pm
Kory wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 8:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Fair enough. I have, of course, not read any of it. But it sounds like a gimmick to get out of a trap (in the same way that the second clone saga was a gimmick to get rid of a married Spider-man and then the eventual deal with the devil to do the same).
These kinds of tricks are pretty par for the course these days. One writer (or editor) gets a bug up their butt to make a sweeping change then the next team has to come up with some convoluted way to get back to the status quo or something like it. I think as a spandex reader these days you just have to take it in stride or give up reading. I've often asserted that all these titles should just end finally. I mean how many TV shows last this long? They all Simpson out, eventually. How many stories can you tell with these characters? The problem of course is that coming up with new characters that anyone is going to care about is literally impossible.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

There was a promising series about the young Scott flying off with his father and the Starjammers to be a space pirate. But the writer changed about 5-6 issues in and it pestered out.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Every time I see you guys chatting enthusiastically about some Marvel bullshit while no one ever replies to my "HEY GUYS, DC'S GOT SOME REAL COOL STUFF HAPPENING" posts, I die a little inside.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Inder wrote:
09 Dec 2017, 12:58am
Every time I see you guys chatting enthusiastically about some Marvel bullshit while no one ever replies to my "HEY GUYS, DC'S GOT SOME REAL COOL STUFF HAPPENING" posts, I die a little inside.

It’s not my fault DC is for nerds.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
09 Dec 2017, 12:58am

Has DC rebooted its entire universe again this year? Or was that last year? Anyway, I can wait until it reboots next year.