Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Post by Dr. Medulla »

It is wonderfully coloured. It's white. And black. And I guess the bill counts as yellow or orange. Rusty's choking as he's trying to impress this girl.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mark is wary about this "lost temple"—how can someone lose a whole temple?—until lasers are mentioned. Now he's all in!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I've started reading Reed Tucker's Slugfest, about the competition between DC and Marvel. Tucker includes a likely apocryphal story about the funeral of the legendary asshole editor of the Superman titles, Mort Weisinger:
As is the tradition at Jewish farewells, the attendees were invited to stand and speak about the good qualities of the deceased. The offer was greeted with silence. Finally someone in the back of the room stood and said, “His brother was worse.”

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Reading through all the X-titles from ANAD to current, and noticing how often Claremont spells "yeah" as "yah." For all his vaunted skill as a writer, I'd think he'd know how to spell that. Is it perhaps Orzechowski's preference?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Finished reading Slugfest this evening. It's pretty slight and voyeuristic, but would likely entertain the people here. It's a neat story of how the upstart Marvel took on and took out the conservative, corporate DC, and then fundamentally became it. While I'm definitely a Marvel person, I don't get the ardent division myself. I attribute my preference to imprinting. Marvel captured my imagination as a kid and so that's where I lean. But at the same time, in terms of short, mini series blasts, DC has impressed adult me more. Watchmen, Red Son, Cat Woman, All-Star Superman, New Frontier, and White Knight all stand out more to me than Marvel's stuff, tho I still follow Marvel series but no DC. I care(?) about Marvel's characters more mainly because of that childhood connection (tho stuff like Waid's FF, Brubaker's Cap, and Bendis' DD were really good), but DC has produced better confined narratives with their characters.
Last edited by Dr. Medulla on 07 Jun 2018, 9:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 9:31pm
Reading through all the X-titles from ANAD to current, and noticing how often Claremont spells "yeah" as "yah." For all his vaunted skill as a writer, I'd think he'd know how to spell that. Is it perhaps Orzechowski's preference?
That makes me think of Raymond Chandler, who spelled okay as okey. Which I can never not pronounce in my head as okie.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 8:26pm
Kory wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 9:31pm
That makes me think of Raymond Chandler, who spelled okay as okey. Which I can never not pronounce in my head as okie.
Another thing I'm noticing is that Walt Simonson draws huge hips on people. He likes them pear shapes.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 8:22pm
Finished reading Slugfest this evening. It's pretty slight and voyeuristic, but would likely entertain the people here. It's a neat story of how the upstart Marvel took on and took out the conservative, corporate DC, and then fundamentally became it. While I'm definitely a Marvel person, I don't get the ardent division myself. I attribute my preference to imprinting. Marvel captured my imagination as a kid and so that's where I lean. But at the same time, in terms of short, mini series blasts, DC has impressed adult me more. Watchmen, Red Son, Cat Woman, All-Star Superman, New Frontier, and White Knight all stand out more to me than Marvel's stuff, tho I still follow Marvel series but no DC. I care(?) about Marvel's characters more mainly because of that childhood connection (tho stuff like Waid's FF, Brubaker's Cap, and Bendis' DD were really good), but DC has produced better confined narratives with their characters.
I thought you didn't like the Bendis DD because it perpetuated the whole "let's fuck up Murdock's life" trend.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 1:17pm
I thought you didn't like the Bendis DD because it perpetuated the whole "let's fuck up Murdock's life" trend.
Yeah, I am critical of that aspect if only because it makes me kind of hope that MM will die and finally be released of his torment. Is that the response a hero should generate? It also seems a bit of a crutch for writers—hey, how much more misery can we dump on DD? But, on the whole and with those caveats, I still found his DD one where I wanted to see the next issue (which is my quick and dirty way of determining whether I like a take on a character).

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I may get slammed for this, but I just got to X-Factor in my re-read. After jamming on Claremont for so long, Weezie is just so grating. Every sentence ends with an exclamation mark and she's even worse at writing teenagers than Claremont was with Jubilee. I'm hoping I'll enjoy her work more when I get to NM #55, but she isn't making X-Factor much fun.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mark Trail will not tolerate a child's enthusiasm and wonder!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jun 2018, 10:34am
I like this

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 7:41am
Mark Trail will not tolerate a child's enthusiasm and wonder!
He's like Ben Shapiro with African Americans.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

😍😍😍