Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Flex and Wolter's Den of Nerdly Awesomeness

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 8:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 8:28pm
Wolter wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 8:23pm
Kory wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 8:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 7:59pm

I've never checked out the latter, but when I listened to Morrison's book on superheroes I was curious. Would you recommend?
I'm only six issues in but it's quite interesting. Wolt may have more info than me. I've heard that the more recent Lemire run is really good.
The only Animal Man stuff I know is Morrison’s run (which is great) and 52, which is also great for different reasons.
If I dip my toe at the beginning, will that work? Or is it something that you have to chug thru, like, a dozen issues before it clicks?
Yeah, Lemire is the 52 run.

Regarding dipping your toe in—it could be said that I'm at that point now, having only read the first collection, and I really like it. But from what I understand, it starts to get a lot more "meta" after that—the artist making himself known through the pages of the book. I don't know much, but take the cover of the second collection as maybe a clue:

Apparently this "meta" stuff ends as Morrison's run does, but I'm interested because Jamie Delano comes on board after a short run each by Peter Milligan (who I traditionally don't like) and Tom Veitch (relation to Rick, I assume), and I really like his work on Hellblazer.
Yeah, it's the meta aspect that Morrison discussed in his book that interested me. I'm generally not into that kind of stuff—I don't like the fantasy to be broken—but Morrison is a self-aware and talented enough writer that I was intrigued. I'm pretty sure it was Wolter and Flex both who encouraged me to check out his All-Star Superman series, which is, without a doubt, the most satisfying interpretation of the character I've read.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Okay, I laughed.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Can you spray for tigers?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Feb 2018, 8:56am
I love how its eating a cooked turkey leg.

Hey Mark, If you keep feeding it, it will keep coming around.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
17 Feb 2018, 9:42am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Feb 2018, 8:56am
I love how its eating a cooked turkey leg.

Hey Mark, If you keep feeding it, it will keep coming around.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Stan on Ditko leaving Marvel:
“I had a big argument with Steve Ditko, who was drawing the strip at the time. When we had to reveal the identity of the Green Goblin, I wanted him to turn out to be the father of Harry Osborn, and Steve didn’t like that idea,” Lee explained. “He said, ‘no, I don’t think he should be anybody we’ve seen before.’ I said ‘Why?’ He said ‘Well, in real life, the bad guy doesn’t always turn out to be someone you’ve known.’ And I said, ‘Steve, people have been reading this book for months, for years, waiting to see who the Green Goblin really is. If we make him somebody that they’ve never seen before, I think they’ll be disappointed — but if he turns out to be Harry’s father, I think that’s an unusual dramatic twist that we can play with in future stories.’ And Steve said ‘Yeah, well, that’s not the way it would be in real life.’ And I said ‘In real life, there’s nobody called The Green Goblin.’ And so Steve was never happy about that, but since I was the editor, we did it my way."
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/09/12/ ... en-goblin/

Ditko was/is undeniably immensely talented, but a total weirdo.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 8:43am
This confirms what I’ve been unsure about for a while: whether Mark Trail is unintentionally ridiculous or whether the creators are leaning in.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 2:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
This confirms what I’ve been unsure about for a while: whether Mark Trail is unintentionally ridiculous or whether the creators are leaning in.
Definitely intentional. The original strip, as I understand it, was very pro-environmentalist (or at least conservationist) and gosh-shucks adventurism, and the Sunday big panel strips are still just informational pieces, but the regular narrative has a very winking attitude toward adventure strips. It's not an outright humour strip like Beetle Bailey, but it's got light satire to it.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 2:35pm
Wolter wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 2:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Definitely intentional. The original strip, as I understand it, was very pro-environmentalist (or at least conservationist) and gosh-shucks adventurism, and the Sunday big panel strips are still just informational pieces, but the regular narrative has a very winking attitude toward adventure strips. It's not an outright humour strip like Beetle Bailey, but it's got light satire to it.
It's starting to remind me of Red Meat.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mark desperately wants for there to be clown casualties. Because he is an Everyman.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

After almost three months (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28&start=7140#p481095) the stories link up. That's the Mark Trail Guarantee.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

My god, I'm dying here.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mark can't help but betray a grin …