IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71105
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Dr. Medulla » 23 Oct 2017, 2:26pm

101Walterton wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 2:20pm
Good work and excellent use of the training diary.
Thanks! And it's the archivist in me. I need to record and make order from these activities. Honestly, I'd probably bike a lot less if I weren't keeping track of things, to spur me on and chastise me when I'm slipping. No one else will ever see the spreadsheet but me, but I just have to do it to stay honest.
When you are winter training don’t all those teenagers chained to the wall put you off?
Nah, it inspires me. Look at this old man staying in shape, you damned punk kids!
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14807
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by 101Walterton » 23 Oct 2017, 2:30pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 2:26pm
101Walterton wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 2:20pm
Good work and excellent use of the training diary.
Thanks! And it's the archivist in me. I need to record and make order from these activities. Honestly, I'd probably bike a lot less if I weren't keeping track of things, to spur me on and chastise me when I'm slipping. No one else will ever see the spreadsheet but me, but I just have to do it to stay honest.
When you are winter training don’t all those teenagers chained to the wall put you off?
Nah, it inspires me. Look at this old man staying in shape, you damned punk kids!
I keep a training diary and have notebooks going 10 years of every run and every time I go to the gym. It is as much OCD as anything else, I can’t stop doing it.

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19892
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by matedog » 23 Oct 2017, 2:34pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 2:04pm
matedog wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 12:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 12:06pm
Aaaaaand I just had my last outdoor ride of the year. The last three days were warm enough and mostly favourable enough winds that I was able push up my average speed for the year. Personal bests in every category—total kilometres, average speed, single ride, number of rides. Ended up knocking off 21 seconds from an average ride time from last year. If I can knock off another 5 lbs and maintain a solid biking routine in the basement this winter, I think I can improve on average pace next year, but everything else is going to be tough to match.

My goal this winter in basement riding is to focus less on average speed than on upping the distance for each ride from 16km to 20km. I'm hoping that'll be better for my stamina for when I get back to it next spring. It's the first month or so readjusting to outside riding that compromises my overall pace, so I want to be able to go in with better stamina right off the bat. If I can do somewhere between 2500 and 3000 km this winter, I'll be satisfied on that front.
Oof, how long is indoor season?
Minimum six months. I don't know if I've ever started the outdoor riding season before 1 May (this year it was especially late, 15 May). So I can figure on November to April, plus the remainder of this month and probably some into May. If I can average 23 days of basement riding a month, that gets me over 2500 km with plenty to spare.
Man, Canada really is a frozen tundra most of time.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14807
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by 101Walterton » 23 Oct 2017, 2:38pm

matedog wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 2:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 2:04pm
matedog wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 12:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 12:06pm
Aaaaaand I just had my last outdoor ride of the year. The last three days were warm enough and mostly favourable enough winds that I was able push up my average speed for the year. Personal bests in every category—total kilometres, average speed, single ride, number of rides. Ended up knocking off 21 seconds from an average ride time from last year. If I can knock off another 5 lbs and maintain a solid biking routine in the basement this winter, I think I can improve on average pace next year, but everything else is going to be tough to match.

My goal this winter in basement riding is to focus less on average speed than on upping the distance for each ride from 16km to 20km. I'm hoping that'll be better for my stamina for when I get back to it next spring. It's the first month or so readjusting to outside riding that compromises my overall pace, so I want to be able to go in with better stamina right off the bat. If I can do somewhere between 2500 and 3000 km this winter, I'll be satisfied on that front.
Oof, how long is indoor season?
Minimum six months. I don't know if I've ever started the outdoor riding season before 1 May (this year it was especially late, 15 May). So I can figure on November to April, plus the remainder of this month and probably some into May. If I can average 23 days of basement riding a month, that gets me over 2500 km with plenty to spare.
Man, Canada really is a frozen tundra most of time.
That is why you need a suit made from teenagers skin.
It all happens in the basement away from prying eyes!!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71105
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Dr. Medulla » 23 Oct 2017, 2:44pm

matedog wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 2:34pm
Man, Canada really is a frozen tundra most of time.
And we're only an hour from the New York border—it was much worse when we were in Saskatoon. It'd be better if I were a jogger, but cycling generates a lot of air movement, so the effect of cool air gets magnified. There is such a difference between 15º and 20º and 25º in terms of my leg strength and stamina. I really hate cycling in anything under 15º because my legs feel leaden. Hot and humid and no wind is ideal.
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19892
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by matedog » 23 Oct 2017, 3:10pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 2:44pm
matedog wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 2:34pm
Man, Canada really is a frozen tundra most of time.
And we're only an hour from the New York border—it was much worse when we were in Saskatoon. It'd be better if I were a jogger, but cycling generates a lot of air movement, so the effect of cool air gets magnified. There is such a difference between 15º and 20º and 25º in terms of my leg strength and stamina. I really hate cycling in anything under 15º because my legs feel leaden. Hot and humid and no wind is ideal.
Ah that makes sense. Running, I just start off fast to warm my body up. Haven't done too many sub-freezing runs, but I do remember the cold air hurting a bit.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25006
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Flex » 16 Nov 2017, 6:41pm

Signed up for the 2018 Napa to Sonoma Wine Country Half Marathon :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 19892
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by matedog » 16 Nov 2017, 6:46pm

Flex wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 6:41pm
Signed up for the 2018 Napa to Sonoma Wine Country Half Marathon :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
When is it? (I don't feel like looking it up). I know you got kin over there, but you should pay a visit to da dog. We could watch Papa Roach videos.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25006
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Flex » 16 Nov 2017, 10:57pm

matedog wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 6:46pm
Flex wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 6:41pm
Signed up for the 2018 Napa to Sonoma Wine Country Half Marathon :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
When is it? (I don't feel like looking it up). I know you got kin over there, but you should pay a visit to da dog. We could watch Papa Roach videos.
July 15. I'll try to be out for a few days, so for sure let's try to have 90s jamboree
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests