IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 6:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 6:03pm
revbob wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 5:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 5:36pm
revbob wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 5:29pm
Just did the same ride 12.5 miles in a little under an hour with a 5 min break at the half way. It felt much harder and I would have thought it took me 15 min more than it did. Was gassed near the end and my knees were aching.
Even tho I bike indoor in the off-season, it's never quite the same as biking outdoors in terms of muscles, so the first 5 or 6 rides out on the road would always be a fucking grind. I'd begin thinking, fuck yeah, I've kept myself in good shape, and by the end of the ride feel like I'd done nothing for conditioning since last fall. Within a couple weeks, tho, the stamina improves.
My problem is consistency. I need to keep at it. I got home from work changed and then laid on the bed for a few minutes and started dozing off. I managed to get my ass up and out though. Tomorrow is a softball day so I probably wont ride. Im thinkg if I can do every other day that will be pretty good.
Four days a week is a solid schedule, especially if there's other exercise in there. It gives your legs a chance to recover. Also, when you get back from your ride, drink a beer to rehydrate. Supposedly it's legit good for you and it's inducement to ride.
I got that part down, very consistently.
I respect your commitment to the program. :ugeek:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

I'm off to Heston land shortly for the Great North Run tomorrow. Looking forward to it but also apprehensive because it is my return to the distance (it is a half marathon) after long term injury and I haven't run more than 4 miles in training. Hoping to see Panic Report playing by the side of the course!

I'm running in aid of the Alzheimer's Society (sadly my mum has it and it is a cruel illness). If anyone would like to sponsor me then I would be hugely grateful. I won't put the link here, it somehow doesn't feel right, so please PM me. Thanks very much.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
07 Sep 2019, 6:55am
I'm off to Heston land shortly for the Great North Run tomorrow. Looking forward to it but also apprehensive because it is my return to the distance (it is a half marathon) after long term injury and I haven't run more than 4 miles in training. Hoping to see Panic Report playing by the side of the course!

I'm running in aid of the Alzheimer's Society (sadly my mum has it and it is a cruel illness). If anyone would like to sponsor me then I would be hugely grateful. I won't put the link here, it somehow doesn't feel right, so please PM me. Thanks very much.
Great cause and best of luck. I'll PM you shortly.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Sep 2019, 7:01am
laxman wrote:

Great cause and best of luck. I'll PM you shortly.
Thanks very much Marky. Managed to get round in 1 hour 54 mins. Way off what I used to be able to do but I knew I would be in trouble after about 8 miles because I simply don’t have the mileage in my legs (plus I am an old git!) but fantastic to get round in one piece without any problems with my back. Gives me the confidence to try to keep my running momentum going. Don’t think I will get back to sub 90 mins but I can dream.

The fish and chips in South Shields were fantastic. The sea was freezing so I just paddled.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Great work mate good to hear your back held out. That's still a decent time. A very worthy cause so good on you.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Hey Lax bizarrely I watched part of the race on TV looked like a good day for it 😎

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Big respect mate, great thing you've done there.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Thanks guys. 101W it was indeed a nice day, probably a bit too nice for running that far. I saw a few people needing medical assistance, hopefully they were all fine and it was just heat exhaustion. BitterTom it stopped me having a go at your quiz, I’ll be back next week.

I hope this is true but I was told that next year Mo Farah is going to be assisting a blind runner around the course, rather than running with the elite. I saw quite a few pairs of assisted runners, what a brilliant thing to do.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

laxman wrote:

We were offered a gig in a pub near the end of the course (The Marsden Rattler) but I couldn't do it due to work commitments. That's still a decent time mate, and glad you enjoyed the fish and chips, did you go to Colmans?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

laxman wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 4:57pm
Thanks guys. 101W it was indeed a nice day, probably a bit too nice for running that far. I saw a few people needing medical assistance, hopefully they were all fine and it was just heat exhaustion. BitterTom it stopped me having a go at your quiz, I’ll be back next week.

I hope this is true but I was told that next year Mo Farah is going to be assisting a blind runner around the course, rather than running with the elite. I saw quite a few pairs of assisted runners, what a brilliant thing to do.
A friend of 50.5W did that at the U20 World Champs in Finland last year, cost him any chance of success.
What comes around goes around as it looks like he will be selected for Tokyo Olympics squad.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Heston wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 5:28pm
laxman wrote:

We were offered a gig in a pub near the end of the course (The Marsden Rattler) but I couldn't do it due to work commitments. That's still a decent time mate, and glad you enjoyed the fish and chips, did you go to Colmans?
The bands on the course are great, they really give the runners a boost. Next year, I hope?

The fish and chips were from a place near the amusement arcade, called something like the Log Cabin? That isn’t quite right. I’m told there is a place called Smiths really close to there that is really good.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

laxman wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 12:18pm
Heston wrote:
laxman wrote:

The bands on the course are great, they really give the runners a boost. Next year, I hope?

The fish and chips were from a place near the amusement arcade, called something like the Log Cabin? That isn’t quite right. I’m told there is a place called Smiths really close to there that is really good.
Hopefully next year but my job usually entails working on GNR day. If you get here on the Saturday next year we will most likely be on somewhere local. Though I know you will probably be having an early night. ;)

I think it is called the Log Cabin but Colmans is the place to go for fish and chips, even Sting's been there.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Heston wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 2:24pm
laxman wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 12:18pm
Heston wrote:
laxman wrote:

Hopefully next year but my job usually entails working on GNR day. If you get here on the Saturday next year we will most likely be on somewhere local. Though I know you will probably be having an early night. ;)

I think it is called the Log Cabin but Colmans is the place to go for fish and chips, even Sting's been there.
See you next year! I'll look out for Colmans.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

101Walterton wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 9:10pm
laxman wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 4:57pm

A friend of 50.5W did that at the U20 World Champs in Finland last year, cost him any chance of success.
What comes around goes around as it looks like he will be selected for Tokyo Olympics squad.
Good to hear.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Boss decided she wants to do more exercising at home, so that gave me an opening to suggest buying a rowing machine, which I've long been kinda interested in. Hoo doggies, that fucker does generate a sweat. I don't really feel much stress in my legs (perhaps because of all my cycling) but definitely in my shoulders and arms. The chief issue is that the seat on the machine ain't well padded, so I'll be liberating one of my bike's old gel seats and sit on that.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft