IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 May 2018, 6:57pm
revbob wrote:
02 May 2018, 6:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 May 2018, 4:23pm
revbob wrote:
02 May 2018, 2:52pm
I increased my distance by a few miles but kept the same pace for the first half. I bit off a little more than I could chew.
Stamina is the toughest thing to build up. Far harder than basic speed. So that pace aspect is solid.
Yeah, it sucks when you always had it and seemingly suddenly you dont. I probably need to eat a little better too.
Maybe. I eat horribly, but I don't eat a whole lot. The main thing I have going for me is being pathologically addicted to routines and once I incorporated lots of exercise into the daily routine, things improved greatly.
I eat ok, could have more veggies for sure though. I cut back on how much I was eating because I wasn't as active but sometimes I don't eat enough to fuel my body to do the exercise and I think today was one of those days. I could use routine but most of my adult life has been devoid of routine for various reasons (rotating work schedules, travelling for work, kids, wife's illnesses). I don't know how to do routine something is bound to upset it

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
02 May 2018, 7:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 May 2018, 6:57pm
revbob wrote:
02 May 2018, 6:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
I increased my distance by a few miles but kept the same pace for the first half. I bit off a little more than I could chew.
Stamina is the toughest thing to build up. Far harder than basic speed. So that pace aspect is solid.
Yeah, it sucks when you always had it and seemingly suddenly you dont. I probably need to eat a little better too.
Maybe. I eat horribly, but I don't eat a whole lot. The main thing I have going for me is being pathologically addicted to routines and once I incorporated lots of exercise into the daily routine, things improved greatly.
I eat ok, could have more veggies for sure though. I cut back on how much I was eating because I wasn't as active but sometimes I don't eat enough to fuel my body to do the exercise and I think today was one of those days. I could use routine but most of my adult life has been devoid of routine for various reasons (rotating work schedules, travelling for work, kids, wife's illnesses). I don't know how to do routine something is bound to upset it
Sometimes I forget I have that luxury of creating these fairly rigid routines. A lot of my life is pretty fluid, so I'm able to institute those other structures.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Very true and also the reason a lot of people don't like or don't stick to running (or other exercise regimes presumably).
If you go for a run when you aren't fit it is not a pleasant experience. It hurts, it is painful while you are running and it is painful after. The next day probably even more so. Even those that want to stick at it and keep going often quit before they have built up enough stamina to be running fit.
Going for a run when you are fit is completely different and is a very pleasant experience. It isn't painful while you are running or after.
Problem is getting to the point where going for a run is a pleasant experience is very unpleasant and takes a lot of pain so many don't get to experience that feeling.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Helluva ride today. It was hot and humid—always a good combination for me because it limbers up the muscles—with modest wind. I broke my best time by fifteen seconds, hitting an average speed of 34.69 kph. I was in the zone from start to finish, going at a good pace but never feeling I was exhausting myself. It was also my twelfth straight day of riding, which matches a high (and the next two days look good for riding). And I'm already well past last year's average speed for the season. Best shape of my life is a cliche and all that, but it is actually true (tho that's also an indictment of the previous several, slothful decades).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The ride of my fucking life this morning. Perfect conditions—warm, a bit humid, hardly any wind. I sliced 20 seconds off my previous best and averaged 35 kph on the nose.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I took out the bike for Bike to Work Day for the first time in, oh, 2+years. Only a 2 mile ride, but it's basically nothing but elevation gain so it was still a nice little workout to start the morning. Fun way to wake up a bit. I think I still prefer being on my feet, tho.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Flex wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 10:46am
I took out the bike for Bike to Work Day for the first time in, oh, 2+years. Only a 2 mile ride, but it's basically nothing but elevation gain so it was still a nice little workout to start the morning. Fun way to wake up a bit. I think I still prefer being on my feet, tho.
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 10:25am
The ride of my fucking life this morning. Perfect conditions—warm, a bit humid, hardly any wind. I sliced 20 seconds off my previous best and averaged 35 kph on the nose.
Just stop at the crosswalks and stay off the sidewalks and I won't swear at you.

Flex

Post by Flex »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 11:23am
Just stop at the crosswalks and stay off the sidewalks and I won't swear at you.
I'm a very passive biker. In town, I always (well, did always, when I was commuting by bike) dismount and walk across sidewalks and such. Partly because I'd rather have the superior right-of-way-rules as a pedestrian at street crossings, partially not to muck up flow-of-traffic when there are gobs of people out.

Pex Lives!

BostonBeaneater

Flex wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 11:27am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
I'm a very passive biker. In town, I always (well, did always, when I was commuting by bike) dismount and walk across sidewalks and such. Partly because I'd rather have the superior right-of-way-rules as a pedestrian at street crossings, partially not to muck up flow-of-traffic when there are gobs of people out.
I threw a Snapple bottle at a guy once. I got him square in the back and told him to go back to Cambridge. I find many on bikes n the city to be menacing.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
I never bike in downtown areas. I have a couple kilometres of residential to get to my main cycling spot, which is a parkway that isn't heavily used during non-rush hour. I end up yelling at drivers who try to get me to violate the rules of the road. I'm stopped at a stop sign, they have the through, and they stop and wave me on. Jesus Christ, that's how accidents happen! Everybody follow the damned rules of the road and pay attention to what's going on, and we're all fine.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 11:52am
I never bike in downtown areas. I have a couple kilometres of residential to get to my main cycling spot, which is a parkway that isn't heavily used during non-rush hour. I end up yelling at drivers who try to get me to violate the rules of the road. I'm stopped at a stop sign, they have the through, and they stop and wave me on. Jesus Christ, that's how accidents happen! Everybody follow the damned rules of the road and pay attention to what's going on, and we're all fine.
We have the "Idaho Stop" law here locally, which allows bikers to treat Stop signs as yield signs if there is no traffic. In practice, what that means is that bikers never obey any street signage at all. I've actually gotten into arguments with bikers who think the law means they always have the right of way. it's insane. But that also means that, in practice, if you're a driver at an intersection with some bikes you just have to assume they're going to barrel through no matter what - and 95% of the time, you'll be right. I supported the law change and helped pass it in Dillon myself, but it's pretty much driven me insane ever since. The law is it's pretty ubiquitous in Colorado now, so repealing it in one or two towns would do nothing to change anyone's behavior.

Now, drivers act like complete shits too towards bikers, so it's not all one direction at all - but a little less sense of entitlement all around would do wonders for the shared roadway experience.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 12:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 11:52am
We have the "Idaho Stop" law here locally, which allows bikers to treat Stop signs as yield signs if there is no traffic. In practice, what that means is that bikers never obey any street signage at all. I've actually gotten into arguments with bikers who think the law means they always have the right of way. it's insane. But that also means that, in practice, if you're a driver at an intersection with some bikes you just have to assume they're going to barrel through no matter what - and 95% of the time, you'll be right. I supported the law change and helped pass it in Dillon myself, but it's pretty much driven me insane ever since. The law is it's pretty ubiquitous in Colorado now, so repealing it in one or two towns would do nothing to change anyone's behavior.

Now, drivers act like complete shits too towards bikers, so it's not all one direction at all - but a little less sense of entitlement all around would do wonders for the shared roadway experience.
I'm gonna sound like a complete lazy moderate, but on the topic of cyclists and drivers, both sides are dominated by assholes who treat the other with contempt. If there's no traffic, I treat stop signs as yields because the toughest part of cycling is that first bit when you have no momentum, so there's an interest in not stopping completely. But if there's pedestrians or cars that could smack me or me them, I'm totally in accord with the rules. Fundamentally, I know that in any collision, I'm going to get the worst of it, so I don't get pushy. And I always make sure I know who's around me. Between regular should checking and my side mirror, it's exceedingly rare that anyone sneaks up on me. Again, it's just a matter of paying attention to your surroundings and accepting it's a shared space. Duh, but it's not a common perspective.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 12:13pm
I'm gonna sound like a complete lazy moderate, but on the topic of cyclists and drivers, both sides are dominated by assholes who treat the other with contempt. If there's no traffic, I treat stop signs as yields because the toughest part of cycling is that first bit when you have no momentum, so there's an interest in not stopping completely. But if there's pedestrians or cars that could smack me or me them, I'm totally in accord with the rules. Fundamentally, I know that in any collision, I'm going to get the worst of it, so I don't get pushy. And I always make sure I know who's around me. Between regular should checking and my side mirror, it's exceedingly rare that anyone sneaks up on me. Again, it's just a matter of paying attention to your surroundings and accepting it's a shared space. Duh, but it's not a common perspective.
You know Doc, you're a good egg. I'd consider only maiming you if I came across you while I was driving.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 12:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 12:13pm
You know Doc, you're a good egg. I'd consider only maiming you if I came across you while I was driving.
I'd like to think I wouldn't swear at you when you brush too close to me because you think you're steering a yacht, but for you I'll at least try not to.

BostonBeaneater