IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 5:12pm
Sparky wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 4:45pm
How'd you do? Didn't get rained out did you?
Was waiting on having proper time to give a report, but I did two minutes faster than last year - 1:41:52. I went out a lot harder than last year and ultimately averaged 7:46 for the race vs. 7:56 last year. Ultimately finished in the top 15% of my age group (40-44) vs. top 20% of my age group last year (35-39). I honestly thought I was going to bump up higher being the youngest in the age group vs. the oldest, but whatever.

Also some punk like 15 year old kid was running near me the whole time. I finally passed him at mile 10 or so and thought, "phew that was almost embarrassing" only to have him fly by me at mile 13. He even ran over to his dad because he thought the race was over and the dad shooed him back into the race and he took off and still beat me.
Congratulations on finishing and some really good times!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 6:31pm
revbob wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 5:44pm
matedog wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Was waiting on having proper time to give a report, but I did two minutes faster than last year - 1:41:52. I went out a lot harder than last year and ultimately averaged 7:46 for the race vs. 7:56 last year. Ultimately finished in the top 15% of my age group (40-44) vs. top 20% of my age group last year (35-39). I honestly thought I was going to bump up higher being the youngest in the age group vs. the oldest, but whatever.

Also some punk like 15 year old kid was running near me the whole time. I finally passed him at mile 10 or so and thought, "phew that was almost embarrassing" only to have him fly by me at mile 13. He even ran over to his dad because he thought the race was over and the dad shooed him back into the race and he took off and still beat me.
Great work but Im pretty sure I speak for everyone when I ask did this happen??

I felt the urge to purge at mile 7 and thought of you and thought of this post. I clenched and kept going.
So I served as an inspiration for you.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Saw my doctor this morning to review the MRI on my knee, great news, it's not a torn meniscus after all, just arthritis and inflammation. Got a cortisone shot today, go back for some "lubricating" shots in 3 weeks, hope to be running again after that.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
11 Mar 2024, 2:37pm
Saw my doctor this morning to review the MRI on my knee, great news, it's not a torn meniscus after all, just arthritis and inflammation. Got a cortisone shot today, go back for some "lubricating" shots in 3 weeks, hope to be running again after that.
Congratulations, you old goat! ;)
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Sparky wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 8:04pm
matedog wrote:
Sparky wrote:

Congratulations on finishing and some really good times!
Well done, that's a great time.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Thank you gents, I'm not one to sit around, so this down time is very frustrating for me.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Sparky wrote:
11 Mar 2024, 8:58pm
Thank you gents, I'm not one to sit around, so this down time is very frustrating for me.
Hello,

You may want to add more resistance training (body weight stuff, free weight exercises if you belong to a club - join the purple place) or if you have access to an upper body ergometer (UBE - u b exercising). Try body weight exercise to exhaustion/failure - you're training muscular endurance rather than strength. Cycling or stair workouts alsom may accommodate your range of motion.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

gkbill wrote:
11 Mar 2024, 9:54pm
Sparky wrote:
11 Mar 2024, 8:58pm
Hello,

You may want to add more resistance training (body weight stuff, free weight exercises if you belong to a club - join the purple place) or if you have access to an upper body ergometer (UBE - u b exercising). Try body weight exercise to exhaustion/failure - you're training muscular endurance rather than strength. Cycling or stair workouts alsom may accommodate your range of motion.
Thanks for the tips. I have an elliptical but until my knee stops hurting, I'm not using it. I do utilize a weight machine every other day, as well as a rowing machine, so I'm not totally sedentary without running.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Saw my doctor on Monday, he said let pain be your guide, so I did my first run in about 7 weeks today. Ran a much slower pace (9.56/mile) for about half the distance I normally do, my left knee was a little sore, so I iced both knees when I got home, feels good now.

Funny how after not doing a particular exercise for a little while your body feels like it's never done it before. I wasn't winded, but I felt kind of weak about half way in to the run, but I told myself it was all in my head and pushed on. Hopefully I'll be back to running every other day, again, at a slower pace and not quite as far for a while, working my way back up to my previous distance.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Sparky wrote:
03 Apr 2024, 1:05pm
Saw my doctor on Monday, he said let pain be your guide, so I did my first run in about 7 weeks today. Ran a much slower pace (9.56/mile) for about half the distance I normally do, my left knee was a little sore, so I iced both knees when I got home, feels good now.

Funny how after not doing a particular exercise for a little while your body feels like it's never done it before. I wasn't winded, but I felt kind of weak about half way in to the run, but I told myself it was all in my head and pushed on. Hopefully I'll be back to running every other day, again, at a slower pace and not quite as far for a while, working my way back up to my previous distance.
Hello,

I'd suggest adding time/distance before increasing your pace. "Let pain be your guide" sounds awkward but it's good advice.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
That was always such a striking thing for me when I still rode outside. I’d ride a trainer in the basement all winter, keeping strong and all that, and yet the first few rides outside my stamina would be terrible. Bafflingly bad given that I rode the same distance/time all winter long inside. Every single year. I guess riding a spin bike exclusively now means I get to avoid that frustrating transition.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

gkbill wrote:
03 Apr 2024, 1:11pm
Sparky wrote:

Hello,

I'd suggest adding time/distance before increasing your pace. "Let pain be your guide" sounds awkward but it's good advice.
Agreed, thanks. As tempted as I was to try to push it, I could feel a little discomfort in my knee, so I looped back and headed for home. My former pace was in the 9/9:20 mile range, today was closer to 10/mile but that's fine by me, at least I'm doing it. Friday I'm planning on doing another run, but I may cut it back to 3 miles until it feels "easy" then go from there.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Sparky wrote:
03 Apr 2024, 5:27pm
gkbill wrote:
Sparky wrote:

Hello,

Agreed, thanks. As tempted as I was to try to push it, I could feel a little discomfort in my knee, so I looped back and headed for home. My former pace was in the 9/9:20 mile range, today was closer to 10/mile but that's fine by me, at least I'm doing it. Friday I'm planning on doing another run, but I may cut it back to 3 miles until it feels "easy" then go from there.
Hello,

If you can find trails, you may want to opt for them as the packed dirt will be kinder to your knees (softer impact). Additionally, trail pace is slower than road pace.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

gkbill wrote:
03 Apr 2024, 5:31pm
Sparky wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Sparky wrote:

Hello,

Hello,

If you can find trails, you may want to opt for them as the packed dirt will be kinder to your knees (softer impact). Additionally, trail pace is slower than road pace.
Years ago I used to run on my lunch breaks in the canyons on trails, really enjoyed it. Unfortunately where I live its asphalt or concrete. Haven't forgotten about your tips for running on sand, we live near the beach, so that my be in the cards if "paved" running proves to impactful.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Sparky wrote:
03 Apr 2024, 5:34pm
gkbill wrote:
03 Apr 2024, 5:31pm
Sparky wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Sparky wrote:

Hello,

Hello,

Years ago I used to run on my lunch breaks in the canyons on trails, really enjoyed it. Unfortunately where I live its asphalt or concrete. Haven't forgotten about your tips for running on sand, we live near the beach, so that my be in the cards if "paved" running proves to impactful.
Hello,

Asphalt/macadam (road) is softer than concrete (sidewalk).