IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 12:49pm
I am, I love it now. Going to take your advice and sign up for a 5K with other people. And if I like being surrounded by a bunch of losers who like to run, I'll train for the 10k.
I look forward to the possibility that next time I see you we can participate in a no-holds-barred underground "street race" where the difference between winning and losing is the difference between life... and death! Starring David Carradine.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Silent Majority wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 12:36pm
Just broke last week's personal record and ran for 28 minutes. Next week it'll be 30 minutes of nonstop running which brings my Couch to 5K programme to a close. Feeling so well for it - getting pretty addicted and proud of having come this far from not being able to run for more than three minutes. Improvement in my concentration and general state of mind has been huge.
So can you recommend a good program for this? My endurance for running has gone way down in recent years. It doesnt help that I tend to hate running but I think it would be a good thing for me to do and perhaps drag the wife along too. She always asks me to go to zumba class with her. And well Im not doing zumba

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

revbob wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 7:48pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Just broke last week's personal record and ran for 28 minutes. Next week it'll be 30 minutes of nonstop running which brings my Couch to 5K programme to a close. Feeling so well for it - getting pretty addicted and proud of having come this far from not being able to run for more than three minutes. Improvement in my concentration and general state of mind has been huge.
So can you recommend a good program for this? My endurance for running has gone way down in recent years. It doesnt help that I tend to hate running but I think it would be a good thing for me to do and perhaps drag the wife along too. She always asks me to go to zumba class with her. And well Im not doing zumba
https://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

Hopefully you can access this in the US. If not, let me know & I'll rip and upload the podcasts for you.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Silent Majority wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 3:45am
revbob wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 7:48pm
Silent Majority wrote:
https://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

Hopefully you can access this in the US. If not, let me know & I'll rip and upload the podcasts for you.
Ok, podcasts downloaded. Thanks for the link. Next job is to get my ass moving.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Silent Majority wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 12:49pm
Flex wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 12:42pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Good on ya man. It's great feeling like you broke a barrier or got to the next level in effort. You gonna keep at it?
I am, I love it now. Going to take your advice and sign up for a 5K with other people. And if I like being surrounded by a bunch of losers who like to run, I'll train for the 10k.
Well done mate good effort. You’ve seriously cracked the hardest part it only gets better from here on in.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Im hoping the weather improves and maybe then Ill run out of excuses but right now its fucking snowing.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

First ride of my summer season, more than two weeks earlier than last year. My more intense winter biking routine—2800 km total, average speed around 39.8 kph—seems to have borne early fruit as my first outside ride was only around ten seconds off last year's average time. It normally take a couple weeks for me to get back into outdoor riding shape, so this is promising. The boss observed that I still have my post-ride throbbing forehead vein, so all must be well.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Apr 2018, 2:09pm
First ride of my summer season, more than two weeks earlier than last year. My more intense winter biking routine—2800 km total, average speed around 39.8 kph—seems to have borne early fruit as my first outside ride was only around ten seconds off last year's average time. It normally take a couple weeks for me to get back into outdoor riding shape, so this is promising. The boss observed that I still have my post-ride throbbing forehead vein, so all must be well.
That's pretty impressive, I'm less than half that. Although I'm on a Mt bike. I wonder if I should get a road bike now that I mainly ride on paved surfaces.

I got my second ride of the year in today (about 10 miles) and didn't succumb to my desire to stop for a beer.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
28 Apr 2018, 7:24pm
That's pretty impressive, I'm less than half that. Although I'm on a Mt bike. I wonder if I should get a road bike now that I mainly ride on paved surfaces.
Indoor riding is always easier for pace, so don't read too much into that speed (tho it was an improvement of a couple kph over the previous winter). My outdoor biking speed, once I've got my legs back, is around 33.5 to 34.5 kph. And a road bike vs. mountain bike makes a ton of difference. I gained several kph from the switch. Thin tires, much lighter frame. Going up hills was really noticeable because I no longer felt like I was fighting the bike.
I got my second ride of the year in today (about 10 miles) and didn't succumb to my desire to stop for a beer.
That's excellent. Once the temperature goes up, my usual routine is to drink a beer after my ride because several years ago I read that it's better than water for rehydrating after intense exercise. I'm skeptical, but I choose to believe that beer is better than water.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Apr 2018, 7:36pm
revbob wrote:
28 Apr 2018, 7:24pm
Indoor riding is always easier for pace, so don't read too much into that speed (tho it was an improvement of a couple kph over the previous winter). My outdoor biking speed, once I've got my legs back, is around 33.5 to 34.5 kph. And a road bike vs. mountain bike makes a ton of difference. I gained several kph from the switch. Thin tires, much lighter frame. Going up hills was really noticeable because I no longer felt like I was fighting the bike.
That's excellent. Once the temperature goes up, my usual routine is to drink a beer after my ride because several years ago I read that it's better than water for rehydrating after intense exercise. I'm skeptical, but I choose to believe that beer is better than water.
33 kph is still impressive to me that's over 20 mph for Americans.

I bought my current bike over 20 years ago. Like I said its a mt bike and I mostly bike in top gear unless Im climbing hills. I haven't had a road bike since high school it might be good to get one that isnt too expensive

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
28 Apr 2018, 8:47pm
33 kph is still impressive to me that's over 20 mph for Americans.
I feel pretty good about it as an old bugger and I pass more people than who pass me, but serious young riders have no problem zipping by me.
I bought my current bike over 20 years ago. Like I said its a mt bike and I mostly bike in top gear unless Im climbing hills. I haven't had a road bike since high school it might be good to get one that isnt too expensive
Kijiji is always excellent for overly hopeful people selling exercise equipment. So you should be able to find a decent road bike for a good price. I found mine on Reddit, when a guy was selling everything he owned to bum around the world. I got a $2700 bike for $700. I've put well over 20,000 km on it since.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I increased my distance by a few miles but kept the same pace for the first half. I bit off a little more than I could chew.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
02 May 2018, 2:52pm
I increased my distance by a few miles but kept the same pace for the first half. I bit off a little more than I could chew.
Stamina is the toughest thing to build up. Far harder than basic speed. So that pace aspect is solid.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 May 2018, 4:23pm
revbob wrote:
Stamina is the toughest thing to build up. Far harder than basic speed. So that pace aspect is solid.
Yeah, it sucks when you always had it and seemingly suddenly you dont. I probably need to eat a little better too.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
02 May 2018, 6:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 May 2018, 4:23pm
revbob wrote:
Yeah, it sucks when you always had it and seemingly suddenly you dont. I probably need to eat a little better too.
Maybe. I eat horribly, but I don't eat a whole lot. The main thing I have going for me is being pathologically addicted to routines and once I incorporated lots of exercise into the daily routine, things improved greatly.