IMCT Running Club

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: IMCT Running Club

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The bigger the city, the better the pedestrians. People who walk with purpose and don't fucking stop in the middle of the sidewalk because a tiny idea popped in their brain. I've never felt so at home as a pedestrian as in New York.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Almost as annoying as people who walk out of shops then stand in the doorway trying to decide whether to go left or right whilst in the meantime no one can get in or out the shop!!!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 1:51pm
The bigger the city, the better the pedestrians. People who walk with purpose and don't fucking stop in the middle of the sidewalk because a tiny idea popped in their brain. I've never felt so at home as a pedestrian as in New York.
That's one thing that I absolutely still have instilled in me from my eastern roots. I am not a lackadaisical walker in any sense. Gotta get from Point A to Point B. There are plenty of beautiful hikes, trails, overlooks, etc. right in our backyard to take your time and enjoy the scenery. No reason not to just hurry up and get on with it when you're surrounded by brick and mortar.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Holy fudge, I matched yesterday's time. Totally overcast, humid as fuck, pretty warm, almost no wind. Just perfect.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 10:51am
Holy fudge, I matched yesterday's time. Totally overcast, humid as fuck, pretty warm, almost no wind. Just perfect.
I just ate a handful of m&ms whilst sitting on my ass.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 11:52am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 11:23am
Just stop at the crosswalks and stay off the sidewalks and I won't swear at you.
I never bike in downtown areas. I have a couple kilometres of residential to get to my main cycling spot, which is a parkway that isn't heavily used during non-rush hour. I end up yelling at drivers who try to get me to violate the rules of the road. I'm stopped at a stop sign, they have the through, and they stop and wave me on. Jesus Christ, that's how accidents happen! Everybody follow the damned rules of the road and pay attention to what's going on, and we're all fine.
Jogging in urban areas is obnoxious too if only because lights aren't generally timed for joggers. Where I lived in SF was great because I was really close to the Golden Gate Park panhandle which lead to the park itself. I could do ten mile jogs without encountering a single stop light. Once I got to the beach, I could extend the jog another 5-6 miles with minimal stopping. But yeah, whenever I had to go through the heart of the city, it would be jog a block, stop, jog a block, stop, etc.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 10:54am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 10:51am
I just ate a handful of m&ms whilst sitting on my ass.
Success is measured in diverse ways. :cool:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 11:07am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 11:52am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
27 Jun 2018, 11:23am
Just stop at the crosswalks and stay off the sidewalks and I won't swear at you.
I never bike in downtown areas. I have a couple kilometres of residential to get to my main cycling spot, which is a parkway that isn't heavily used during non-rush hour. I end up yelling at drivers who try to get me to violate the rules of the road. I'm stopped at a stop sign, they have the through, and they stop and wave me on. Jesus Christ, that's how accidents happen! Everybody follow the damned rules of the road and pay attention to what's going on, and we're all fine.
Jogging in urban areas is obnoxious too if only because lights aren't generally timed for joggers. Where I lived in SF was great because I was really close to the Golden Gate Park panhandle which lead to the park itself. I could do ten mile jogs without encountering a single stop light. Once I got to the beach, I could extend the jog another 5-6 miles with minimal stopping. But yeah, whenever I had to go through the heart of the city, it would be jog a block, stop, jog a block, stop, etc.
If we move back to Saskatoon, I know my outdoor biking days are over. There just isn't the reasonably safe locations for me to ride the way I want—to just push myself with few spots where I might have to pause. There are no parkways there, so I'd have to go out on the highway, and I ain't that brave/foolish. So I'll be pretty much indoor year round. Or I might try jogging if I find I need the fresh air too much to develop a reliable routine.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Running at sea level rules. Ran the Napa to Sonoma half marathon in a cool 01:55:13, easily a personal best. Haven't double checked, but I think I shaved 15 minutes off from last year. Fantastic race too, exceptionally beautiful countryside to run in and then unlimited wine tasting at the finish.

Off to Bouchon to cap off the trip and gain some pounds back.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Awesome job, man. That sense of accomplishment and improvement is a drug.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
15 Jul 2018, 7:57pm
Running at sea level rules. Ran the Napa to Sonoma half marathon in a cool 01:55:13, easily a personal best. Haven't double checked, but I think I shaved 15 minutes off from last year. Fantastic race too, exceptionally beautiful countryside to run in and then unlimited wine tasting at the finish.

I saw the pics and they were great - fantastic job!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
15 Jul 2018, 7:57pm

I should try it next time I get the urge. You had great weather this weekend too.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

With today's ride, I cracked an average speed for the season of 34 kph. Since June, most of my rides are in the low-to-mid 34 kph+. If this is my last year of biking here, I feel pretty good about the results. Now my goal is to build up enough allowance so I stay above 34 kph overall once the weather cools and my times start to slip again.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Let's review today's bike ride:
1) I got caught in a sudden downpour that the weather radar said wasn't going to happen.
2) I got a flat tire after the downpour ended, leading to a 35 min walk home.
3) My new iPod armband started to rip, meaning I have some sewing to do (for those who don't recall, I have no sewing skills).
4) My headphones (not the crappy ones I just received) seem to have died in the rain, so I have to go and, like, pay for real ones now.

In sum, this is not what Doug Ford promised me would be my life.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 11:40am
Let's review today's bike ride:
1) I got caught in a sudden downpour that the weather radar said wasn't going to happen.
2) I got a flat tire after the downpour ended, leading to a 35 min walk home.
3) My new iPod armband started to rip, meaning I have some sewing to do (for those who don't recall, I have no sewing skills).
4) My headphones (not the crappy ones I just received) seem to have died in the rain, so I have to go and, like, pay for real ones now.

In sum, this is not what Doug Ford promised me would be my life.
Seems its tough being white in Canada too.