Rock n Roll Headstone

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Rock n Roll Headstone

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: Lame name, lame music, lame band, all representing a lame generation.
Look, I offered you an olive branch, but now I see I have to point out: lame country.
Olive branch? That'd be like me saying I like Peter Cetera as an olive branch offering to you.
The difference is, the US doesn't have to prove to the world it can make good music. Canada clearly does.
No, the difference is that the US doesn't think it has to prove to the world that it can make good music, whereas Canada admits as much.
Yeah. Uh huh. Name one awesome genre of pop music with Canadian roots. One.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote: Look, I offered you an olive branch, but now I see I have to point out: lame country.
Olive branch? That'd be like me saying I like Peter Cetera as an olive branch offering to you.
The difference is, the US doesn't have to prove to the world it can make good music. Canada clearly does.
No, the difference is that the US doesn't think it has to prove to the world that it can make good music, whereas Canada admits as much.
Comedy Goof Music?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: Olive branch? That'd be like me saying I like Peter Cetera as an olive branch offering to you.
Comedy Goof Music?
Nope. That genre's been around at least a century, dating back when Canada's currency was an ACTUAL loon.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote: Look, I offered you an olive branch, but now I see I have to point out: lame country.
I don't think there is any. Maybe some kind of Maritime hideous fiddle crap. Which was my point about Canada having to prove itself.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:I will admit that the greatest hits of the Guess Who are actually pretty good. So, I will not be making fun of Burton Cummings.

See, Canada? I'm meeting you halfway!
Since you brought up the Guess Who, I will use it as an opportunity to say how much I loathe Lenny Kravitz with every fiber of my being and that he should be exiled to Siberia for ruining American Woman. Then again, I usually can use any opportunity to bash Lenny Kravitz.
JennyB, we hate much of the same things.
But seriously, who doesn't hate Lenny Kravitz?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
revbob wrote: Just matedog being wrong, AGAIN!
I don't have a problem with him as a person or a songwriter, it's just his voice that ruins everything. It's so whiny and shrill
Actually, NY would probably concede this last point. Back in the 80s when everyone was doing their starving African songs, Canada's musicians did one, "Tears Are Not Enough" under the name Northern Lights. There was a small documentary that was shown about the creation of song and video. I recall a scene where the producer(?) kept getting NY to redo his part, saying that he's off-key or something like that. Finally, NY says, "Hey man, that's my style." And that's that—the off-key bit is left in the song.
Wow, I had never heard of this:
[youtube][/youtube]

It's so Canadian and so...lame.
Lame, definitely. I don't know if its lameness is especially Canadian. Looks like all those other way crappy assuage our celebrity guilt-fests.
I only recognized four of the people - NY, Geddy Lee, Bryan Adams, and the sunglasses at night guy. Was that a minor league hockey team at the end??? Thank you so much for sharing that.
The hockey players at the end were NHL all-stars—that part must have been shot after an all-star game. Apart from who you spotted, I recognized: Burton Cummings, Anne Murray, Joni Mitchell, Dan Hill(?), Mike Reno of Loverboy, Bruce Cockburn, Paul Hyde, and the singer from Platinum Blonde.
I thought the Joni Mitchell character looked familiar. I originally thought it was like an 80's era Mia Farrow. You know the one that wasn't making movies, but hadn't started complaining about her husband doing their children yet.

I believe it exemplifies Canadian lameness because they are clearly trying to be as important as the US and the UK, but they fail miserably. Instead of Springsteen, you have Bryan Adams trying to do his best Boss voice and instead of Michael Jackson in the pivotal moment, you have...Geddy Lee. And then you have to throw a hockey team in there to show, in case you forgot, this is a Canadian thing.
Last edited by matedog on 27 Jun 2008, 11:28am, edited 1 time in total.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:I will admit that the greatest hits of the Guess Who are actually pretty good. So, I will not be making fun of Burton Cummings.

Since you brought up the Guess Who, I will use it as an opportunity to say how much I loathe Lenny Kravitz with every fiber of my being and that he should be exiled to Siberia for ruining American Woman. Then again, I usually can use any opportunity to bash Lenny Kravitz.
I have a friend who's favorite singer is (or at least was for a while) Lenny Kravitz. I find it hilarious. I can barely accept anyone would like him let alone declare him their favorite. And this is the only person I know who likes Kravitz. Obviously not a friend I can discuss music with.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:I believe it exemplifies Canadian lameness because they are clearly trying to be as important as the US and the UK, but they fail miserably. Instead of Springsteen, you have Bryan Adams trying to do his best Boss voice and instead of Michael Jackson in the pivotal moment, you have...Geddy Lee. And then you have to throw a hockey team in there to show, in case you forgot, this is a Canadian thing.
I could be wrong (really?), but I think the Canadian one was actually done before the American, but both were definitely after Band Aid. And, in general, both look like they're ripping off Band Aid.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:
matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:

I have a friend who's favorite singer is (or at least was for a while) Lenny Kravitz. I find it hilarious. I can barely accept anyone would like him let alone declare him their favorite. And this is the only person I know who likes Kravitz. Obviously not a friend I can discuss music with.
Are You Gonna Go My Way? seemed cool when I was ten. It Ain't Over Til It's Over has a decent melody. Fly Away, American Woman (ugh!), Again, etc. all did nothing for me. He's kind of a waste of my time almost to Nealon proportions. He just shows up with some single every three years that has tons of cross over appeal and so I have to hear it a bunch eventhough the song is never very good and then he goes away for a bit. It's during these dulls that I try to be the most productive in my life.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:I believe it exemplifies Canadian lameness because they are clearly trying to be as important as the US and the UK, but they fail miserably. Instead of Springsteen, you have Bryan Adams trying to do his best Boss voice and instead of Michael Jackson in the pivotal moment, you have...Geddy Lee. And then you have to throw a hockey team in there to show, in case you forgot, this is a Canadian thing.
I could be wrong (really?), but I think the Canadian one was actually done before the American, but both were definitely after Band Aid. And, in general, both look like they're ripping off Band Aid.
Well of course they were both Band Aid-inspired, but they lowest we stooped was Huey Lewis and I'd put him around Bryan Adams level.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:Worm: I don't see how liking the occasional Guess Who tune when listening to the oldies station makes me a Boomer. It's not like I use "Undone" to self-actualize or some shit. It's just decent pop.
Lame name, lame music, lame band, all representing a lame generation.
There's about a billion bands worse than the Guess Who. Come on, No Time? These Eyes? Those are good songs. Plus they spawned BTO!
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I think Lenny Kravitz is too much of a non-entity to hate. It's not like he's ubiquitous these days, and his music is the epitomy of "easy to ignore."

I'm having an increasingly difficult time hating musicians since, with the likes of satellite radio and mp3 players, I'm having an increasingly easy time minimizing my exposure to the ones I don't like.

P.S. I think The Guess Who are pretty decent. "American Woman" is a fairly scathing attack of American foreign policy and catchy tune.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:Plus they spawned BTO!
I'll give you that. But the Guess Who were lame. Even worse was that it was like they were continuing Townshend's band's overplayed joke.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:but they lowest we stooped was Huey Lewis and I'd put him around Bryan Adams level.
It's a bit like comparing whose turkey farts smell worse, but I'd rather listen to early Bryan Adams than Huey Lewis any day of the week. I might actually prefer being deaf after a couple days, but that's conjecture.

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

tepista wrote:Image
Something's missing here - where's the Eternal Bucket of Dry Ice?
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/