Page 1 of 116

Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Posted: 06 Jan 2009, 12:44pm
by matedog
I have been getting into this local brew lately:
Image

And when I was down south, I managed to pick up one of my favorite San Diego brews:
Image

Re: Thread O'Beer REVIVED!

Posted: 06 Jan 2009, 2:32pm
by tosh
I actually had a bottle of the Anderson Valley Amber over the weekend - was surprised and mildly impressed. even considering making it a six pack this weekend.

I'm on a new kick and trying to sample as many different beers as possible Over the last few months. Mainly been confined to Belgian ales so far (including a couple of surprisingly good American versions of Belgian beer’s.)

In no particular order some of the ones I can recall the names of that I’ve been enjoying….

Russian River’s – a good few of their brew have been rather good, Damnation and Temptation spring to mind
Anderson Valley – Amber
Tanner's Jack - clear bottle never had one that wasn't skunk flavored
Bluebird Bitter - I remember drinking this in Coniston a few years ago and so had to get a couple of bottles
Wexford Irish Cream Ale - hard to not fall back on this as often as possible
Tetleys in a can - great to make a steak pie with
Murphy's Red ale
Anderson Valley – The Brothers Double and Tripel varieties
Anchor Steam
Pranqster - – not the best version of a Belgian beer I’ve had
New Belgium’s Trippel Belgian bottles– I wasn’t expecting to like this as I don’t care for their other offerings but this went down well
Eye of the Hawk - forget the actual brewery (Medicinno maybe?) but their larger and a couple of the other ale's are okay as well
Affigem Bonde – one of my favorites
Affigem Trippel – actually I think this is top of the list at the moment
Pirrat – another good Belgian beer
Unibroe – too many odd names to recall but another brewery I was VERY surprised by and have been back more than once to sample more of there efforts.
Grimbergen – I’ve had the blonde and the Double I believe, although the blonde pushes the Affigem Trippel for No.1 spot in recent weeks…erm I mean months

And Trader Joe’s sell this Organic Scottish Pale Ale that goes down rather easily

I’m off to spend some time with my new friend beeradvocate.com to start planning my weekend’s beer intake. It is my new favorite site. This week I’m looking for some new German beer’s I haven’t tried, trying to get away from the Belgian beer’s for a few weeks and hid some bocks and doublebocks up that I saw in the local offy last week. I'm not a big fan of the overly hoppy american micro brews, not sure I have had to many IPA's that I could drink on a regular occasion, but other than that I'm goig to carry on working through the world and sampling as many as possible instead of the past few years being stuck in the world of lager and the few imported English ale you can get over here

Re: Thread O'Beer REVIVED!

Posted: 06 Jan 2009, 2:35pm
by Wolter
Unibroue hasn't let me down yet. Although it's hard for me to move beyond La Fin du Monde. I love that stuff.

Re: Thread O'Beer REVIVED!

Posted: 06 Jan 2009, 2:46pm
by matedog
tosh wrote:I actually had a bottle of the Anderson Valley Amber over the weekend - was surprised and mildly impressed. even considering making it a six pack this weekend.

I'm on a new kick and trying to sample as many different beers as possible Over the last few months. Mainly been confined to Belgian ales so far (including a couple of surprisingly good American versions of Belgian beer’s.)

In no particular order some of the ones I can recall the names of that I’ve been enjoying….

Russian River’s – a good few of their brew have been rather good, Damnation and Temptation spring to mind
Anderson Valley – Amber
Tanner's Jack - clear bottle never had one that wasn't skunk flavored
Bluebird Bitter - I remember drinking this in Coniston a few years ago and so had to get a couple of bottles
Wexford Irish Cream Ale - hard to not fall back on this as often as possible
Tetleys in a can - great to make a steak pie with
Murphy's Red ale
Anderson Valley – The Brothers Double and Tripel varieties
Anchor Steam
Pranqster - – not the best version of a Belgian beer I’ve had
New Belgium’s Trippel Belgian bottles– I wasn’t expecting to like this as I don’t care for their other offerings but this went down well
Eye of the Hawk - forget the actual brewery (Medicinno maybe?) but their larger and a couple of the other ale's are okay as well
Affigem Bonde – one of my favorites
Affigem Trippel – actually I think this is top of the list at the moment
Pirrat – another good Belgian beer
Unibroe – too many odd names to recall but another brewery I was VERY surprised by and have been back more than once to sample more of there efforts.
Grimbergen – I’ve had the blonde and the Double I believe, although the blonde pushes the Affigem Trippel for No.1 spot in recent weeks…erm I mean months

And Trader Joe’s sell this Organic Scottish Pale Ale that goes down rather easily

I’m off to spend some time with my new friend beeradvocate.com to start planning my weekend’s beer intake. It is my new favorite site. This week I’m looking for some new German beer’s I haven’t tried, trying to get away from the Belgian beer’s for a few weeks and hid some bocks and doublebocks up that I saw in the local offy last week. I'm not a big fan of the overly hoppy american micro brews, not sure I have had to many IPA's that I could drink on a regular occasion, but other than that I'm goig to carry on working through the world and sampling as many as possible instead of the past few years being stuck in the world of lager and the few imported English ale you can get over here
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of California IPAs either. I'm not sure if it is an acquired taste or what. Anyway, those American ones you listed "Russian River" and "Anchor Steam (very local, not a big fan though)" are pretty available to me and that's usually what I try. I'd have to do research on those other ones although there is a killer beer bar near me that does a Belgian beer month.

I haven't checked out that site (I will this evening) but I usually use ratebeer.com

Re: Thread O'Beer REVIVED!

Posted: 06 Jan 2009, 3:07pm
by BostonBeaneater
mmm, Beamish!

Image

Re: Thread O'Beer REVIVED!

Posted: 06 Jan 2009, 3:08pm
by tosh
Wolter wrote:Unibroue hasn't let me down yet. Although it's hard for me to move beyond La Fin du Monde. I love that stuff.
I agree that is my favourite of their's.
matedog wrote:
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of California IPAs either. I'm not sure if it is an acquired taste or what. Anyway, those American ones you listed "Russian River" and "Anchor Steam (very local, not a big fan though)"
I admit it was a struggle to get through the big bottle of Anchor Steam the other Saturday night. Another one just came to mind a Chez black beer that was a litlte too much, they make a Pilsner that is not to shabby but the black beer was another that I only just managed to get down (Krušovice Imperial or something like that). It's amazing even if I don't really like the beer I will still have every last sip rather than pour it away.

This morning I spotted Firestone Walker Double Barrell anyone know if it is worth it?

Re: Thread O'Beer REVIVED!

Posted: 06 Jan 2009, 3:11pm
by tosh
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1489/10302

thats the black beer - a tough drink to swallow (but it was only $2 so I can't really complain)

Re: Thread O'Beer REVIVED!

Posted: 06 Jan 2009, 3:12pm
by matedog
tosh wrote:This morning I spotted Firestone Walker Double Barrell anyone know if it is worth it?
That's the one that all my friends that went to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo were into. I have had it a bunch and I don't remember it as being special. Then again, I haven't really got into beer until the last year or two.

Re: Thread O'Beer REVIVED!

Posted: 06 Jan 2009, 3:27pm
by tosh
matedog wrote: Then again, I haven't really got into beer until the last year or two.
thats where I am as well I think these last few years my tastes have changed a lot and I don't think I could drink what I was drinking when I first arrived here anymore. I've already retried a lot of beers I dismissed years ago as swill and found a distinct change in what I consider decent ale.

Know I look back on the drunken trips to European away games and wonder what the hell I was drinking - I'll bet i drank a few great beers that 1) can't recall and 2) thought were crap.

Re: Thread O'Beer REVIVED!

Posted: 06 Jan 2009, 3:58pm
by JennyB
Bellhaven Scottish Ale is my fave, but alas, I cannot drink it now as I do not wish to have a child with eyes on the side of its head and missing that thing above the lip that I want to say is called the perenium but I know that it's not.

Re: Thread O'Beer REVIVED!

Posted: 06 Jan 2009, 4:03pm
by matedog
JennyB wrote:Bellhaven Scottish Ale is my fave, but alas, I cannot drink it now as I do not wish to have a child with eyes on the side of its head and missing that thing above the lip that I want to say is called the perenium but I know that it's not.
Probably mentioned before, but my birthmark is on my perenium. I haven't seen it in years.

Re: Thread O'Beer REVIVED!

Posted: 06 Jan 2009, 4:15pm
by daredevil
Image

Re: Thread O'Beer REVIVED!

Posted: 06 Jan 2009, 4:17pm
by rcs
daredevil wrote:Image
awesome! the champagne of bottled bears!

Re: Thread O'Beer REVIVED!

Posted: 06 Jan 2009, 4:25pm
by eumaas
daredevil wrote:Image
I serve it in a champagne glass.

Re: Thread O'Beer REVIVED!

Posted: 06 Jan 2009, 5:34pm
by BostonBeaneater
rcs wrote:
daredevil wrote:Image
awesome! the champagne of bottled bears!
There's a place in the South End (our gay neighborhood) that serves a 40 of Miller High Life in a champagne bucket of ice and champagne glasses. The waiter comes and shows it to you like it's a nice bottle of wine and then pours it into champagne glasses. Class!