Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 7:43pm
Fuck me I'm hitting it hard tonight. Beer aint gonna be enough.
Fergit what he said. Go down deep and have the creme de la creme of cheap American whiskey. It’s gotten me through a little blizzard down here.
Attachments
4789C6C1-FD08-4ED2-9033-CA43E50097F8.jpeg
4789C6C1-FD08-4ED2-9033-CA43E50097F8.jpeg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 4538 times

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I'm going to try to take a month off (or at least severely curtail) drinking as I've been overdoing it lately and I want to make sure I can stop if I need to.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 12:59pm
I'm going to try to take a month off (or at least severely curtail) drinking as I've been overdoing it lately and I want to make sure I can stop if I need to.
Always good to be cautious with this shit. Take care of yourself.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 1:36pm
Kory wrote:
It's already giving me anxiety. I'm much more of a binge drinker than a consistent, every day drinker. So with this first dry weekend coming up it's bumming me out in advance.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 2:08pm
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
It's already giving me anxiety. I'm much more of a binge drinker than a consistent, every day drinker. So with this first dry weekend coming up it's bumming me out in advance.
To echo what Andrew said, good to be cautious, and if you have even an inkling of a problem, it's good to test out the hypothesis. Generally speaking, tho, if drinking necessarily means binging, that ain't a good thing (file under: duh, really?).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 2:18pm
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
To echo what Andrew said, good to be cautious, and if you have even an inkling of a problem, it's good to test out the hypothesis. Generally speaking, tho, if drinking necessarily means binging, that ain't a good thing (file under: duh, really?).
Sure, but it's not like gin tastes good or anything. Why else would you drink except to get drunk? Some beer, wine and whiskies are the only things that I could see drinking for the taste.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 2:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
Sure, but it's not like gin tastes good or anything. Why else would you drink except to get drunk? Some beer, wine and whiskies are the only things that I could see drinking for the taste.
As I've mentioned before, I only drink to relax in the evening, as well as for the actual taste. So, yeah, I could have a couple stiff glasses of gin to relax and then stop. Actually, shitty tasting booze is ideal for that because there isn't that "just one more" temptation based on flavour.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 2:38pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:

As I've mentioned before, I only drink to relax in the evening, as well as for the actual taste. So, yeah, I could have a couple stiff glasses of gin to relax and then stop. Actually, shitty tasting booze is ideal for that because there isn't that "just one more" temptation based on flavour.
For me, the shitty taste is gone after a couple drinks if you know what I mean. It makes it easier to have more.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 3:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

For me, the shitty taste is gone after a couple drinks if you know what I mean. It makes it easier to have more.
Oh yeah, of course, but it's not like it starts to taste good; the shitty taste just isn't noticeable.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 3:15pm
Kory wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 3:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Oh yeah, of course, but it's not like it starts to taste good; the shitty taste just isn't noticeable.
Exactly.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Speaking of shitty tasting alcohol, we had a bottle of sherry laying around forever. I finally decided to dump it last night, but tried some in the process and oof was it gross. I had a little bit of Woodford Reserve after, straight, and that went down so much easier.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I get what Kory is saying. And its why I rarely drink anything but beer (last night not withstanding). When I drink the hard stuff it usually leads to blackout drunk and at least an entire day of feeling like total shit.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
I live in a really bad state for binge drinking (#1 by many reports). It's sadly become part of the culture and even a source of pride for many people. I can admit I've been one of those people from time to time. The stuff can wreck lives (also file under: duh, really?) and I'm both seconding what Doc says about testing out the hypothesis and also considering testing it on myself. A month off might be a good idea - especially when I consider how much I consume on a daily basis. I've always felt I could quit whenever I wanted to and I still feel like I could - but yeah - maybe I should also find out.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

New 'Keytar Bear' beer from Trillium will raise money for injured performer

https://www.masslive.com/entertainment/ ... _tril.html

matedog

Post by matedog »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 2:45pm
New 'Keytar Bear' beer from Trillium will raise money for injured performer

https://www.masslive.com/entertainment/ ... _tril.html

Trillium is good shit.