Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 10:20pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 10:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 10:01pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 9:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 6:46pm

I swear on my left and right nut that they are great. High calorie, definitely, but perfect winter evening booze.
Great winter drink. It’s a one and done sort of thing. I put it in the same space as a hot toddy.
Yeah. I had a couple tonight, amping up the rum component, and I'll probably be good until the next cold snap.
In the right climate I would drink nothing but Mount Gay rum, soda water, and a lime. Nothing but and all the time.
Coinky dink, but I bought Mount Gay rum today for making drinks. I hardly ever buy rum—I prefer rye—but picked that as part of a dumb joke with the boss.
I order it loud and proud.

Why is beer from the store so expensive in Canada?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 2:36pm
Why is beer from the store so expensive in Canada?
Taxes, I would expect.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: Thread O'Beer REVIVED!

Post by WestwayKid »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
06 Jan 2009, 5:34pm
rcs wrote:
daredevil wrote:Image
awesome! the champagne of bottled bears!
There's a place in the South End (our gay neighborhood) that serves a 40 of Miller High Life in a champagne bucket of ice and champagne glasses. The waiter comes and shows it to you like it's a nice bottle of wine and then pours it into champagne glasses. Class!
Miller is the last of the major breweries left in Milwaukee (my hometown), but the crazy thing is that back in the day - Miller was the lowest of the low when it came to hometown brew. It was Pabst, Blatz, and Schlitz. My grandpa was a machinist for Miller (he actually worked at several breweries before leaving the trade and working for the Machinist Union), but as my dad tells it - when my grandparents would have a party - my grandpa would never hit up the factory store at Miller for free beer - he’d call up his brother-in-law who worked for Pabst!

People said the clear bottle caused the beer to go bad and so on. It was Miller Lite that turned things around. The other major brewers went under and Miller survived by pumping out bottle after bottle of Lite (which is horrid).

That said - like I mentioned - Miller is the only major brewery left in Brewtown. They’re a great part of the community. Personally, I like High Life, but I prefer it in the full 16 ounce bottle. The little “pony” pictured is what you have with your Bloody Mary in the morning!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Damn Westway, I was out that way last June. Didnt know there were any IMCTers out in Milwaukee.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

WestwayKid wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 6:43pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
rcs wrote:
There's a place in the South End (our gay neighborhood) that serves a 40 of Miller High Life in a champagne bucket of ice and champagne glasses. The waiter comes and shows it to you like it's a nice bottle of wine and then pours it into champagne glasses. Class!
Miller is the last of the major breweries left in Milwaukee (my hometown), but the crazy thing is that back in the day - Miller was the lowest of the low when it came to hometown brew. It was Pabst, Blatz, and Schlitz. My grandpa was a machinist for Miller (he actually worked at several breweries before leaving the trade and working for the Machinist Union), but as my dad tells it - when my grandparents would have a party - my grandpa would never hit up the factory store at Miller for free beer - he’d call up his brother-in-law who worked for Pabst!

People said the clear bottle caused the beer to go bad and so on. It was Miller Lite that turned things around. The other major brewers went under and Miller survived by pumping out bottle after bottle of Lite (which is horrid).

That said - like I mentioned - Miller is the only major brewery left in Brewtown. They’re a great part of the community. Personally, I like High Life, but I prefer it in the full 16 ounce bottle. The little “pony” pictured is what you have with your Bloody Mary in the morning!
Are they still owned by Miller? We still have AB, of course, but they are owned by InBev.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 7:57pm
Damn Westway, I was out that way last June. Didnt know there were any IMCTers out in Milwaukee.
I don't think I joined IMCT until fall! :)

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JennyB wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 11:09am
WestwayKid wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
rcs wrote:

Are they still owned by Miller? We still have AB, of course, but they are owned by InBev.
It’s complicated. South African Breweries purchased Miller Brewing Company in 2002, creating something called SABMiller. In 2005, Molson and Coors merged to create Molson Coors Brewing Company. A few years later, SABMiller and Molson Coors came together to create MillerCoors. In 2016, Anheuser-Busch InBev purchased South African Breweries and part of the sale stated SABMiller had to divest their half of MillerCoors. So, what this all means is that Miller Brewing Company now exists as a subsidiary of Molson Coors, but Miller Brewing is still based in Milwaukee. It’s basically been business as usual for the most part – I think the biggest change is that they took a lot of corporate jobs down to Chicago.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

An interesting fact is that Pabst still exists - but they don't own any physical breweries. Miller produces most of their beer for them on a contract basis, but what is cool is that Pabst owns most of the classic Milwaukee brands (Pabst, Schlitz, and Blatz) and they're still produced.

They've taken the Pabst complex and redeveloped a lot of it, but much of the historical "flavor" has been retained. They operate a very cool bar/restaurant and they even have a small "craft" brewery on site where they make small batches of some of Pabst's more obscure/retro brands. It's a good example of making something out of nothing. They could have simply bulldozed the entire complex, but the current owner recognized that there is value in saving history - while still being able to turn a profit.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

WestwayKid wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 11:51am
JennyB wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 11:09am
WestwayKid wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
rcs wrote: awesome! the champagne of bottled bears!

It’s complicated. South African Breweries purchased Miller Brewing Company in 2002, creating something called SABMiller. In 2005, Molson and Coors merged to create Molson Coors Brewing Company. A few years later, SABMiller and Molson Coors came together to create MillerCoors. In 2016, Anheuser-Busch InBev purchased South African Breweries and part of the sale stated SABMiller had to divest their half of MillerCoors. So, what this all means is that Miller Brewing Company now exists as a subsidiary of Molson Coors, but Miller Brewing is still based in Milwaukee. It’s basically been business as usual for the most part – I think the biggest change is that they took a lot of corporate jobs down to Chicago.
Very similar to AB then.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

IMG_0104.JPG
IMG_0104.JPG (1.58 MiB) Viewed 2456 times
My contribution to preserving the history of brewing in Wisconsin! :mrgreen:

They're all from independent Wisconsin breweries. The only thing I've ever really collected (other than music).

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 11:37am
revbob wrote:
Then it IS your fault. I just missed the summerfest thing too.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

WestwayKid wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 12:56pm
IMG_0104.JPG

They're all from independent Wisconsin breweries. The only thing I've ever really collected (other than music).
Wow. You're not a curator in a modern art gallery are you? Nice work :mrgreen:
All together now: '99 bottles (literally) hanging on the wall...'
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

WestwayKid wrote:
IMG_0104.JPG

Any New Glarus on there? I try to get that every time I cross the border, since you can’t get that in Chicago unless you’re lucky.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Wolter wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 10:38pm
WestwayKid wrote:
IMG_0104.JPG

Any New Glarus on there? I try to get that every time I cross the border, since you can’t get that in Chicago unless you’re lucky.
Yup! Top shelf on the right! Ever stopped at the Mars Cheese Castle on 94? Always a fun place to stop in general - but it is always full of Illinois plates and many of them are just there to pick up Spotted Cow!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 9:57pm
WestwayKid wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 11:37am
revbob wrote:
Then it IS your fault. I just missed the summerfest thing too.
Summerfest is a so-so thing for me. Because it is 10 days long - you always get at least a couple of intriguing concerts - sometimes even ones that you are really excited about. I just hate going down there. It is so insanely crowded that just moving from one point to the next is sometimes impossible and while I love a good time - I hate the "amateur hour" drunken behavior that is on display. I've seen enough middle aged suburban moms puking in flower planters to last me the rest of my days...as well as large, drunken biker types who think it is cool to knock people out of the way...and overflowing toilets...people puking on city buses and so on.

That said - I've seen a lot of really great shows over the years. In fact, I saw my very first concert at Summerfest in 1987: Duran Duran with Erasure as the opening act! Ha!