Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Post by Wolter »

eumaas wrote:
Wolter wrote:This article is a pretty good look at how bar culture where and when I came of age was like no other place.

http://charleston.eater.com/2015/10/16/ ... -cocktails
One of my earliest memories of you was you explaining the mini-bottles shit.
The first time I came to Chicago to apartment hunt, I saw a liquor sample table in the middle of a supermarket and said, "I have made the right choice."
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

State liquor stores in Vermont too although it has loosened up. The used to be separate entities now they can exist within the same store where beer and wine is sold... but there is a separate register for liquor.

I lived in NJ for a few years and at the time you had to go to "package stores" for beer wine and liquor. They were usually just a store attached to a bar. That's changed though now too.

We all make fun of the south but New England has a lot of crazy liquor laws too (don't know about RI and Maine).

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Could go under the mlb thread, but I'm going to a Giants game tonight for the first time in two seasons. Going to stop by Public House to get beers I can lawfully bring in (it's attached to the stadium). Are there any ballparks with a comparable beer list?: http://www.publichousesf.com/menu/

I already know I'm going for the Almanac pluot sour and Russian River's simcoe pale ale Row 2, Hill 56. :cool:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:Could go under the mlb thread, but I'm going to a Giants game tonight for the first time in two seasons. Going to stop by Public House to get beers I can lawfully bring in (it's attached to the stadium). Are there any ballparks with a comparable beer list?: http://www.publichousesf.com/menu/

I already know I'm going for the Almanac pluot sour and Russian River's simcoe pale ale Row 2, Hill 56. :cool:
Pretty nice selection. Do they let you bring bottles inside

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:Could go under the mlb thread, but I'm going to a Giants game tonight for the first time in two seasons. Going to stop by Public House to get beers I can lawfully bring in (it's attached to the stadium). Are there any ballparks with a comparable beer list?: http://www.publichousesf.com/menu/

I'm...intrigued. I do love a sour beer.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Switchback, One of the local brewers recently started offering their beers in 12oz bottles.. previously it was draught or bomber. I like being able to pick up a 6 pack of moderately priced fresh/local beer.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A friend just came back from the UK and as a gift brought with her a bottle of The One, a blended whiskey. I've only had a couple glasses a few nights ago. The most obvious thing about it was a smoky taste, but otherwise it doesn't surpass my preference for a good glass of Canadian rye.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:A friend just came back from the UK and as a gift brought with her a bottle of The One, a blended whiskey. I've only had a couple glasses a few nights ago. The most obvious thing about it was a smoky taste, but otherwise it doesn't surpass my preference for a good glass of Canadian rye.
Was it peet-y? Or smokey in another way? Never been able to get into the peety scotch myself.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:A friend just came back from the UK and as a gift brought with her a bottle of The One, a blended whiskey. I've only had a couple glasses a few nights ago. The most obvious thing about it was a smoky taste, but otherwise it doesn't surpass my preference for a good glass of Canadian rye.
Was it peet-y? Or smokey in another way? Never been able to get into the peety scotch myself.
Sorry, I have no experience to compare peet-y from smokey. All I can say is that I got a distinct taste of smoke.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Peaty.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Image
Pete Peeters name makes me happy.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Image
Pete Peeters name makes me happy.

Two PP stories that come to mind (at least I think it was Pete). One was him taking a slapshot in the forehead and, almost in slow motion, falling backwards like a redwood. Pretty sure he was unconscious. The other was the marathon playoff game between the Islanders and Capitals in the mid-80s. Four OTs, some crazy shit like that. Islanders won—Lafontaine got the winner, I believe—and PP didn't even get one of the three stars.

edit: I'm completely wrong on the latter. PP wasn't in net for the Caps. Some schmuck I've never heard of, Bob Mason.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote: One was him taking a slapshot in the forehead and, almost in slow motion, falling backwards like a redwood. Pretty sure he was unconscious.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: One was him taking a slapshot in the forehead and, almost in slow motion, falling backwards like a redwood. Pretty sure he was unconscious.
Jesus fuck, that seems even scarier now than at the time. It's madness to think that goalies didn't wear masks from the start.