Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Post by BostonBeaneater »

JennyB wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 9:53am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 10:54pm
I've been on a sake kick. I enjoy drinking from tiny glasses.
I love sake. Do you prefer hot or cold?
I like the cold stuff for the most part. I've been picking up this Nigroni at the Asian liquor store for $9 a bottle. It's the perfect size for the two of us to have with dinner. Booze wise it tunes out to be a beer and a half each.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

This is beautiful and less than £2 in Aldi. Wish I bought more.

Good old happy juice!
Attachments
20190427_210458.jpg

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 11:15am
JennyB wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
I like the cold stuff for the most part. I've been picking up this Nigroni at the Asian liquor store for $9 a bottle. It's the perfect size for the two of us to have with dinner. Booze wise it tunes out to be a beer and a half each.

I got into sake years ago after spending time in Japan but I've not had any in quite some time. I'd brought home a few milk cartons of it at the time.

But today it hit 70 degrees so I celebrated with some nice local beer while I did some grilling. Finally sitting outside while the food cooks as opposed to running inside while the food cooks.

BostonBeaneater

revbob wrote:
05 May 2019, 6:07pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 11:15am
JennyB wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:

I got into sake years ago after spending time in Japan but I've not had any in quite some time. I'd brought home a few milk cartons of it at the time.

But today it hit 70 degrees so I celebrated with some nice local beer while I did some grilling. Finally sitting outside while the food cooks as opposed to running inside while the food cooks.
Lucky you, it’s a raw 50 degrees here in Boston.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Thought I'd treat myself to some Guinness tonight, 4 cans which will hardly touch the side, cheers!

BostonBeaneater

BitterTom wrote:
10 May 2019, 2:12pm
Thought I'd treat myself to some Guinness tonight, 4 cans which will hardly touch the side, cheers!
I just had two at the public.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
10 May 2019, 3:15pm
BitterTom wrote:
A lot of beers on draught there! Makes our pubs shaming! We mostly just have Carling (drinkable, but pissy lager), Fosters (tastes the same, also never once drunk in Oz), Guinness and a weak, fairly flavourless bitter like John Smith's. The 'proper' beer with a pump has gone off and tastes like vinegar.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BitterTom wrote:
10 May 2019, 3:30pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
A lot of beers on draught there! Makes our pubs shaming! We mostly just have Carling (drinkable, but pissy lager), Fosters (tastes the same, also never once drunk in Oz), Guinness and a weak, fairly flavourless bitter like John Smith's. The 'proper' beer with a pump has gone off and tastes like vinegar.
This is a very common thing in the US. Lots of places will have that many taps of their own brews. The only places I've been disappointed in the beer selections has been Florida, rural Texas, and eastern desert areas of California. My only complaint (stated many times here I think) is the over abundance of IPA styles with ridiculous levels of hops. Which I think some brewers have gotten lazy with as there are those who will go for anything classified as an IPA or double IPA. I've gone into a few places that were just IPAs and your basic Bud, Miller, Coors crap.

BostonBeaneater

revbob wrote:
11 May 2019, 1:08pm
BitterTom wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
This is a very common thing in the US. Lots of places will have that many taps of their own brews. The only places I've been disappointed in the beer selections has been Florida, rural Texas, and eastern desert areas of California. My only complaint (stated many times here I think) is the over abundance of IPA styles with ridiculous levels of hops. Which I think some brewers have gotten lazy with as there are those who will go for anything classified as an IPA or double IPA. I've gone into a few places that were just IPAs and your basic Bud, Miller, Coors crap.
I feel like the tide has turned on that a little bit. Unfortunately it's been replaced by the hazy IPA craze which I find too damn heavy for having more than one of. And dammit do those beers give me the winds something fierce.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
11 May 2019, 1:20pm
revbob wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
I feel like the tide has turned on that a little bit. Unfortunately it's been replaced by the hazy IPA craze which I find too damn heavy for having more than one of. And dammit do those beers give me the winds something fierce.
I cant say I've tried a hazy one. I find high hopes beers kill my desire to drink beer. I'll politely have one at someone's offering at a party but haven't ordered one at a bar in many years. Nothing worse than plunking down good money for a beer you don't even want to finish.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

revbob wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
That sounds fantastic, a great excuse to try more brews!

I also agree heartily about too hoppy IPAs. It just is too much for me. Or the ridiculously fruity/zesty whatever you want to name it brews, makes my stomach turn just thinking about it. Love the sound of the majority of American bars though!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BitterTom wrote:
11 May 2019, 4:46pm
revbob wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
That sounds fantastic, a great excuse to try more brews!

I also agree heartily about too hoppy IPAs. It just is too much for me. Or the ridiculously fruity/zesty whatever you want to name it brews, makes my stomach turn just thinking about it. Love the sound of the majority of American bars though!
There's plenty of shit bars to avoid but its very easy in most places to find some good choices. Where I live most bars and restaurants will have at least one or two local beers on tap.
This is one of my favorite local brews
20190511_164943.jpg

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
The missus said she liked that place. You could drink there after 2am and they lock you in or something.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

BostonBeaneater

matedog wrote:
11 May 2019, 5:13pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
The missus said she liked that place. You could drink there after 2am and they lock you in or something.
It’s my favorite bar. As long as you’re not an asshole anything goes.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

After one shitty week done with, I fucking deserve this. Vodka from the freezer, no mixer required...
Attachments
20190525_224110.jpg