Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Post by Wolter »

BitterTom wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 1:50pm
WestwayKid wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 12:17pm
9e88f0beda7bffab395f9b396d327e2d_640x640.jpg

I bought a sixer of this swill last weekend at Trader Joe's. It was cheap - which isn't typically how I choose my beer - but I was curious to see how a cheap beer from a place like Trader Joe's would taste. They're famous for their "Two Buck Chuck" which is surprisingly decent (at least some varieties) for a cheap wine.

This beer was not good. It was water and had a weird "fruity" taste to it. It did pack a decent punch and I finished off all six cans (waste not, want not)...but I will never purchase it again.
8.4%, an alcohol percentage that gets the job done.
I genuinely expect that’s the reason IPAs have gotten big.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

BitterTom wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 1:50pm
WestwayKid wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 12:17pm
9e88f0beda7bffab395f9b396d327e2d_640x640.jpg

I bought a sixer of this swill last weekend at Trader Joe's. It was cheap - which isn't typically how I choose my beer - but I was curious to see how a cheap beer from a place like Trader Joe's would taste. They're famous for their "Two Buck Chuck" which is surprisingly decent (at least some varieties) for a cheap wine.

This beer was not good. It was water and had a weird "fruity" taste to it. It did pack a decent punch and I finished off all six cans (waste not, want not)...but I will never purchase it again.
8.4%, an alcohol percentage that gets the job done.
It did indeed. Good for generating and maintaining a nice buzz.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

i know it's an unpopular opinion in this thread, but i actually enjoy the taste of (most) IPAs. I just drink them sparingly these days as I try to manage my caloric intake.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 2:24pm
i know it's an unpopular opinion in this thread, but i actually enjoy the taste of (most) IPAs. I just drink them sparingly these days as I try to manage my caloric intake.
I like them, but they are 95% of the shelves lately.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
To be fair, there is a glut of older, unbalanced IPAs. Very reminiscent of what was popular 10-15 years ago. As a rule of thumb, I generally don't buy IPAs on the shelf. Ideally, I'll get it directly from the brewery as a growler, crowler, or in house pour.

And because I'm such a trendchaser, I really really love the aromatic hop approach of the hazy IPAs (as opposed to the boil hop addition bitter forward traditional IPAs). If I see an IPA that looks like this, I know I'll be in good shape:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

IPAs are usually too fruity for me, I'm not generally a fan. Give me a standard lager or even better, stout or porter and I'm happy. It's the zestiness of so many modern IPAs that ruin a good drink for me.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Wolter wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 12:11am
revbob wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 10:24pm
BitterTom wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 4:41pm
£2.99 for 4 quality beers, bargain. Great for these summer evenings. Highly recommend to UK IMCTers, Aldi is your place to go.

In comparison and out of interest USAers, how much would 4x500ml cans cost you over there?
It would depend on the beer. My local store sells some good beers for 8 to 9 dollars fo9r a 4x16oz.

Also the weather means nothing lpllto me .as far as what I
Save it for the shamerd thread.
I literally dozed off as I was typing this.

My original point was the weather doesn't affect my beer drinking habits for the most part. I'll still drink a good stout or porter on a hot summer day.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Wolter wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 3:09pm
Flex wrote:
And taps too. This is what really bugs me. Can we get some variety again?

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 7:47pm
Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:
You should move to summit county. They're not quite as rare as they used to be, but it can still be tough to find an IPA around here. I'd say they make up about 1/6th to 1/8th of tap offerings. A little more representation at the liquor stores, but hardly the only offering.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 8:05pm
revbob wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 7:47pm
Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:
You should move to summit county. They're not quite as rare as they used to be, but it can still be tough to find an IPA around here. I'd say they make up about 1/6th to 1/8th of tap offerings. A little more representation at the liquor stores, but hardly the only offering.
Vermont is pretty good for the most part although the more hipster places are IPAs, double IPAs, some other IPA variation, saisons and sours.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

This tastes exactly like those little stubby beers your parents used to get in and 12 year old you would try and take a couple when your mates were round.

Really nice lager.
Attachments
20190719_213430.jpg

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I picked up a 4 pack of 16oz Switchback for 5.99. Thats a fucking steal. Great grilling beer. Grilling peppers and onions first.
20190719_183221.jpg

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Guinness id good for me

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

As Brendan Behan wrote, after demanding, then consuming crates of Guinness to come up with a new slogan for the company, "Guinness gets you drunk."
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

matedog wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 3:34pm
Flex wrote:
To be fair, there is a glut of older, unbalanced IPAs. Very reminiscent of what was popular 10-15 years ago. As a rule of thumb, I generally don't buy IPAs on the shelf. Ideally, I'll get it directly from the brewery as a growler, crowler, or in house pour.

And because I'm such a trendchaser, I really really love the aromatic hop approach of the hazy IPAs (as opposed to the boil hop addition bitter forward traditional IPAs). If I see an IPA that looks like this, I know I'll be in good shape:
Hazy IPAs = paint peeling farts.