Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 50577
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Wolter » 02 Jan 2009, 3:50pm

Last week I found 3 Jonathan Lethem books that I hadn't read at a used bookstore. I started Amnesia Moon first. It's very Philip K. Dick-esque. With maybe a dash of Pynchon and a tiny bit of the Fallout video game series.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 77354
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 02 Jan 2009, 3:52pm

Silent Majority wrote:The thread title keeps bringing Bill Hicks to mind. "Whutchoo readin' for?"
My regular summer job when I was an undergrad was at a shitty tourist booth in my hometown. Basically sitting on my ass handing out maps and info to people passing thru. It did, however, give me eight hours a day to read, which was pretty fucking marvelous. Anyway, on my days off, someone from the larger tourist info place at the other end of town would fill in. One year it was a high school girl. She came around to see how the operation ran and asked what I did to keep from being bored? I said that I read. Her response: "Why?" Why indeed. It might also be worth noting that the evidence suggests that during her days at the booth, she brought a tv and vcr from home and watched movies, and wrote her name over and over with her boyfriend's surname as her own. Awwww, punch, bang.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 16955
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by JennyB » 02 Jan 2009, 3:54pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:The thread title keeps bringing Bill Hicks to mind. "Whutchoo readin' for?"
My regular summer job when I was an undergrad was at a shitty tourist booth in my hometown. Basically sitting on my ass handing out maps and info to people passing thru. It did, however, give me eight hours a day to read, which was pretty fucking marvelous. Anyway, on my days off, someone from the larger tourist info place at the other end of town would fill in. One year it was a high school girl. She came around to see how the operation ran and asked what I did to keep from being bored? I said that I read. Her response: "Why?" Why indeed. It might also be worth noting that the evidence suggests that during her days at the booth, she brought a tv and vcr from home and watched movies, and wrote her name over and over with her boyfriend's surname as her own. Awwww, punch, bang.
Jesus Fucking Christ. I can't believe she didn't at least bring in her Comso and US Weekly.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 23266
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: outer space

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by eumaas » 02 Jan 2009, 3:55pm

Wolter wrote:Last week I found 3 Jonathan Lethem books that I hadn't read at a used bookstore. I started Amnesia Moon first. It's very Philip K. Dick-esque. With maybe a dash of Pynchon and a tiny bit of the Fallout video game series.
Ah, I gave that one to my dad. He said it was very strange. Haven't read it yet but brought it back with me from Maine.
I feel that there is a fascistic element, for example, in the Rolling Stones . . .
— Morton Feldman

I've studied the phenomenon of neo-provincialism in self-isolating online communities but this place takes the fucking cake.
— Clashy

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 77354
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 02 Jan 2009, 4:00pm

JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:The thread title keeps bringing Bill Hicks to mind. "Whutchoo readin' for?"
My regular summer job when I was an undergrad was at a shitty tourist booth in my hometown. Basically sitting on my ass handing out maps and info to people passing thru. It did, however, give me eight hours a day to read, which was pretty fucking marvelous. Anyway, on my days off, someone from the larger tourist info place at the other end of town would fill in. One year it was a high school girl. She came around to see how the operation ran and asked what I did to keep from being bored? I said that I read. Her response: "Why?" Why indeed. It might also be worth noting that the evidence suggests that during her days at the booth, she brought a tv and vcr from home and watched movies, and wrote her name over and over with her boyfriend's surname as her own. Awwww, punch, bang.
Jesus Fucking Christ. I can't believe she didn't at least bring in her Comso and US Weekly.
Too many words, not enough pigsures.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 13702
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Silent Majority » 03 Jan 2009, 10:37am

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:The thread title keeps bringing Bill Hicks to mind. "Whutchoo readin' for?"
My regular summer job when I was an undergrad was at a shitty tourist booth in my hometown. Basically sitting on my ass handing out maps and info to people passing thru. It did, however, give me eight hours a day to read, which was pretty fucking marvelous. Anyway, on my days off, someone from the larger tourist info place at the other end of town would fill in. One year it was a high school girl. She came around to see how the operation ran and asked what I did to keep from being bored? I said that I read. Her response: "Why?" Why indeed. It might also be worth noting that the evidence suggests that during her days at the booth, she brought a tv and vcr from home and watched movies, and wrote her name over and over with her boyfriend's surname as her own. Awwww, punch, bang.
Looks like we got ourselves a reader.
Ain't no man in this land
Who gets up and works for fifty grand


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Suzanne H.
User avatar
The Cheese
Posts: 1926
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 10:31pm
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact:

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Suzanne H. » 03 Jan 2009, 6:53pm

I'm reading this again:
Image
Image
Image

mcnugget
User avatar
Junco Partner
Posts: 441
Joined: 14 Sep 2008, 11:37am

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by mcnugget » 03 Jan 2009, 9:26pm

i am reading one of my brothers books he had to read for a u.s. history class...
Image

and this for the past couple months (bed time reading)...
Image

both are good. now that i'm not taking 18 credit hours this spring, i'll have a WHOLE lot more time to read my own stuff.
Last edited by mcnugget on 03 Jan 2009, 9:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 13702
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Silent Majority » 03 Jan 2009, 9:27pm

mcnugget wrote:i am reading one of my brothers books he had to read for a u.s. history class...
Image
A very good read. Tails off a little bit in the late-eighties, but I really enjoyed it.
Ain't no man in this land
Who gets up and works for fifty grand


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

mcnugget
User avatar
Junco Partner
Posts: 441
Joined: 14 Sep 2008, 11:37am

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by mcnugget » 03 Jan 2009, 9:31pm

yea, it's better then i thought. i like the pictures included and the history he tells that builds up to the hip hop bang (blues, soul, reggae, the lot).

oh and this book is one i'll probably be continuously reading for the rest of my life...seriously.

Image

Mimi
User avatar
Goddess of the Underworld
Posts: 5317
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:36pm
Location: Down in the pit

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Mimi » 03 Jan 2009, 9:36pm

I'm reading an historical fiction called Miss Spitfire, Reaching Helen Keller by Sarah Miller. And I'm listening to All's Well That Ends Well by that Shakespeare fella. I plan on listening to all of 'em, if I can.

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 20604
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by matedog » 04 Jan 2009, 1:12pm

Image

I just started this after finishing A Crack in the Edge of the World and it is great thus far.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Karen
Dirty Punk
Posts: 98
Joined: 05 Dec 2008, 1:31pm

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Karen » 04 Jan 2009, 2:25pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:Took a few highway trips in December, and listened to:
Chuck Palahniuk's Survivor. When I read it, I ranked it among CP's lesser books, but the audio version has caused me to re-evaluate and rank it much higher. Typical CP black comedy about the last survivor of a religious cult from Nebraska that committed mass suicide. It's a post-modern story of expectations, obligations, and celebrity. (BTW, I got another autographed CP novel for Christmas, this time Fight Club. He refers to me, oddly, as a lovely snowflake. :shifty: )
i didn't like survivor that much when i read it either...but when i think back on stuff in it i kind of feel like i should've liked it more...like i'd never even heard of houses that get transported places on trucks before...so it was kind of exciting seeing them when i went to iowa...

what's your fave CP book? mines invisible monsters, by far, but i haven't read them all yet...i think someone could probably make a really amazing movie out of it if done right...

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 77354
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Dr. Medulla » 04 Jan 2009, 2:29pm

Karen wrote:what's your fave CP book? mines invisible monsters, by far, but i haven't read them all yet...i think someone could probably make a really amazing movie out of it if done right...
Invisible Monsters was optioned and I understood that Jessica Biel was going to star, but that was a couple years ago. Far and away, by favourite is Choke, followed by Snuff and Haunted (both as a short story collection and the linking structure). There aren't any Chuck books that I dislike, but Rant left me shrugging my shoulders.
Endut! Hoch Hech!

Karen
Dirty Punk
Posts: 98
Joined: 05 Dec 2008, 1:31pm

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Karen » 04 Jan 2009, 2:38pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Karen wrote:what's your fave CP book? mines invisible monsters, by far, but i haven't read them all yet...i think someone could probably make a really amazing movie out of it if done right...
Invisible Monsters was optioned and I understood that Jessica Biel was going to star, but that was a couple years ago. Far and away, by favourite is Choke, followed by Snuff and Haunted (both as a short story collection and the linking structure). There aren't any Chuck books that I dislike, but Rant left me shrugging my shoulders.
yea, choke's probably second for me...i've only read those three and fight club so far, and i read guts from haunted online, i lent my friend lullaby before i read it and haven't gotten it back yet...

and i think i'd heard that about the movie and wasn't too impressed with jessica biel getting cast, mainly because she annoys me, i don't think i've even seen her in anything...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests