Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 2:20pm
Soule's Daredevil run was a bit of a downer after Waid's.
Haven't especially been taken by any DD since Waid. It all seems warmed-over Miller without much purpose beyond "Daredevil exists to suffer."
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 2:39pm
Kory wrote:
Haven't especially been taken by any DD since Waid. It all seems warmed-over Miller without much purpose beyond "Daredevil exists to suffer."
I hear the current Zdarsky run has been pretty good, but I haven't finished the Soule run yet.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 3:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I hear the current Zdarsky run has been pretty good, but I haven't finished the Soule run yet.
I find it pretty boring, frankly. Matt gives up DD-ing after he accidentally kills someone and then it's a big ol' search for internal truth to find his way back to being a champion of justice, etc. These stories could be good if they weren't one after the other of putting Matt thru some kind of existential wringer.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 4:01pm
Kory wrote:
31 Jan 2020, 3:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I find it pretty boring, frankly. Matt gives up DD-ing after he accidentally kills someone and then it's a big ol' search for internal truth to find his way back to being a champion of justice, etc. These stories could be good if they weren't one after the other of putting Matt thru some kind of existential wringer.
Zdarsky's Spider-man ltd series that ages him in real time from the 1960s was really good, tho.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

5) For Your Eyes Only - Ian Fleming. Audiobook. Didn't get as much out of this one as I did the previous collection of Bond short stories. I don't see how professional reviewers manage. "I just wasn't in the mood, no idea if it was good or bad."
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
04 Feb 2020, 1:58pm
5) For Your Eyes Only - Ian Fleming. Audiobook. Didn't get as much out of this one as I did the previous collection of Bond short stories. I don't see how professional reviewers manage. "I just wasn't in the mood, no idea if it was good or bad."
They have a big file of boilerplate reviews to insert titles and authors and the like. Or they just pretend they read it go from the imagined text.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Finished Rip It Up and Start Again today and I'm more charitable this time around. That is, I found individual chapters (essays, really) fairly compelling, tho the book as a whole lacks a cohesive argument or sensible connecting tissue. Yeah, he says post-punk is defined by its vanguardism, a quest for moving forward, and I generally agree. But it involves ignoring a lot of stuff that involves looking backwards. And the inclusion of bands like Orange Juice or New Pop groups like ABC are headscratchers if vanguardism is the argument. Plus the claim that after 1984 music became more retro than futurist again requires selectiveness to fit the claim. Very much a mixed bag, but, as I said, I liked it more this time.

New tub book:
Following up my rewatching of The Exorcist, I'm re-reading one of my favourite novels, Blatty's sequel (and the basis for Exorcist III, itself a strong flick).

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

6)Leninism Under Lenin - Marcel Liebman. Paperback. An argument that Leninism was pretty decent for a little while, but that outside the eight months or so after 1917 there was an immediate degradation of of events. A mass invasion by Western capitalist powers and counter revolutionary elements within are given as the reasons for the authoritarian moves. It was always within him, this sympathetic book proves. He railed against the bureaucracy his bureaucratic mind created while despising the anarchists and left communists who pointed towards a freer society. I've got the guy now, I don't have a need to read any more. Brilliant research, well written.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 12:58pm
Finished Rip It Up and Start Again today and I'm more charitable this time around. That is, I found individual chapters (essays, really) fairly compelling, tho the book as a whole lacks a cohesive argument or sensible connecting tissue. Yeah, he says post-punk is defined by its vanguardism, a quest for moving forward, and I generally agree. But it involves ignoring a lot of stuff that involves looking backwards. And the inclusion of bands like Orange Juice or New Pop groups like ABC are headscratchers if vanguardism is the argument. Plus the claim that after 1984 music became more retro than futurist again requires selectiveness to fit the claim. Very much a mixed bag, but, as I said, I liked it more this time.

New tub book:
Following up my rewatching of The Exorcist, I'm re-reading one of my favourite novels, Blatty's sequel (and the basis for Exorcist III, itself a strong flick).
In Spanish? Bueno!
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

I finished ear-reading Dracula and now started on the novella, Carmilla, but I didn't realize this one is a "dramatization" and it's kinda like a play. Lame? or OK? I don't know, I don't like it as much though. Only 3 hours.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 8:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 12:58pm

New tub book:
https://horrornovelreviews.files.wordpr ... 142812.jpg
In Spanish? Bueno!
This the actual cover of my copy:

Fuck-ton of effort on that design.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

:shifty:
Attachments
20200206_144114.jpg
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
06 Feb 2020, 9:44am
You wrote a book about Vikings fighting Raccoons?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Feb 2020, 10:01am
Olaf wrote:
Yes. In my heart.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Olaf wrote:
06 Feb 2020, 11:48am
Marky Dread wrote:
06 Feb 2020, 10:01am
Olaf wrote:
Yes. In my heart.
:mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia