Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 12:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 12:00pm
I won't say I outright hated Dr. Sleep, but it was so blah that I couldn't imagine why he felt the need to return to that character. It was the kind of dumb sequel that you'd think Hollywood would make of his stuff.
I think it's fair to say that some of my lukewarm approval springs from my affection for the original.
A former friend of mine who is a massive King fan—he actually got me into reading King—rates The Shining as his favourite book of all time. Reads it once a year. And I'm sure that's why he outright despised Dr. Sleep. That it sullies the original by association with its mediocrity. I've never taken to The Shining like him or others. It's solid but it never spoke to me like it does others.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 12:19pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I won't say I outright hated Dr. Sleep, but it was so blah that I couldn't imagine why he felt the need to return to that character. It was the kind of dumb sequel that you'd think Hollywood would make of his stuff.
I think it's fair to say that some of my lukewarm approval springs from my affection for the original.
A former friend of mine who is a massive King fan—he actually got me into reading King—rates The Shining as his favourite book of all time. Reads it once a year. And I'm sure that's why he outright despised Dr. Sleep. That it sullies the original by association with its mediocrity. I've never taken to The Shining like him or others. It's solid but it never spoke to me like it does others.
i'm pretty sure there's a movie on the way
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

oh, so Goofy Dracula Part 2 was about the pre-nazis were making hybrid vampires into "fighter planes" so the Red Baron was a 16 foot tall bat-creature with a machine gun harness. Then they hinted twice that vampire Edgar Allen Poe had a fear of being buried alive, then he WASN'T buried alive! Too obvious?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 3:34pm
oh, so Goofy Dracula Part 2

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 3:52pm
tepista wrote:
I spent some time yesterday looking for a pic of Godzilla making out with Mothra, so kinda the same.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 3:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 12:19pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
i'm pretty sure there's a movie on the way
Wikipedia says November this year. I'm intrigued how Kubrick reveals the truth behind 9/11 in this one.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 3:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
I spent some time yesterday looking for a pic of Godzilla making out with Mothra, so kinda the same.

Everything about everything has been created.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 3:56pm
tepista wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 3:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:

Everything about everything has been created.
That's why I've basically given up on being creative comedically. Every idea I ever have has already been done at least 5 times as a look at Google will prove.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 4:00pm
That's why I've basically given up on being creative comedically. Every idea I ever have has already been done at least 5 times as a look at Google will prove.
It just means our standards for "originality" have to be constantly re-evaluated. Better yet, abandon altogether the notion of originality in favour of interpretation and being part of a mostly unconscious conversation with other creators and audiences.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 4:12pm
Kory wrote:
It just means our standards for "originality" have to be constantly re-evaluated. Better yet, abandon altogether the notion of originality in favour of interpretation and being part of a mostly unconscious conversation with other creators and audiences.
my wife and I's favorite line from Russian Doll was "I'm into plagiarism as an art form."

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Sure, but it doesn't help that the way I was going to interpret something is the same as 5 other people. It's just a waste of time.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 5:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Sure, but it doesn't help that the way I was going to interpret something is the same as 5 other people. It's just a waste of time.
I disagree that it'll be the same. It's a matter of whether you're looking for the similarities or distinctions.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 5:35pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I disagree that it'll be the same. It's a matter of whether you're looking for the similarities or distinctions.
Well let's say for example that I come up with a parody of Jurassic Park called "Giraffic Park." The different ways you could create that logo are pretty limited (the only variable is what giraffe image you use as the basis for the silhouette), so why bother? It's been done.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 5:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 5:35pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Well let's say for example that I come up with a parody of Jurassic Park called "Giraffic Park." The different ways you could create that logo are pretty limited (the only variable is what giraffe image you use as the basis for the silhouette), so why bother? It's been done.
If it's just a one-off parody logo or whatever, yeah, it's limited, but more in the sense that it's a limited gag no matter what unless there a deeper satire going on. But even at that, some versions are going to resonate or draw bigger laughs than others. Art should be about challenge in some respect, so the challenge here is finding that distinction that catches the eye/brain in ways that others don't.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Case in point: I defy anyone to make a funnier “Gorillion Dollars” joke.
Attachments
2AE552A7-20FE-4F68-BDC1-10D21CA98981.jpeg
2AE552A7-20FE-4F68-BDC1-10D21CA98981.jpeg (78.47 KiB) Viewed 2388 times
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"