Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
31 Jan 2021, 6:28am
5) Echoes from the Macabre - Daphne Du Maurier. Audiobook. 1976. A collection of masterful suspenseful short stories, including the ones that became Don't Look Now (audacious twist) and the Birds (far better than the Hitchcock film). Read with a bohemian upper class irony by a very old fashioned voice actor, this was a brilliant collection of fine story telling well read. I'm going to have to read her Rebecca, I think.
If you've never read KIng's Bag of Bones, it's directly inspired by Du Maurier, esp. Rebecca. The audio version has an extra bit with King explaining the inspiration.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2021, 7:38am
Silent Majority wrote:
5) Echoes from the Macabre - Daphne Du Maurier. Audiobook. 1976. A collection of masterful suspenseful short stories, including the ones that became Don't Look Now (audacious twist) and the Birds (far better than the Hitchcock film). Read with a bohemian upper class irony by a very old fashioned voice actor, this was a brilliant collection of fine story telling well read. I'm going to have to read her Rebecca, I think.
If you've never read KIng's Bag of Bones, it's directly inspired by Du Maurier, esp. Rebecca. The audio version has an extra bit with King explaining the inspiration.
I'm going to slowly read all of the King I haven't got to yet in order, with Cujo being his next one at the bottom of my to-be-read pile. I imagine I'll reach Bag of Bones around 2035, should I live.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
31 Jan 2021, 7:42am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
I'm going to slowly read all of the King I haven't got to yet in order, with Cujo being his next one at the bottom of my to-be-read pile. I imagine I'll reach Bag of Bones around 2035, should I live.
I encourage you to be convicted a serious crime to give you the time you'll need to push thru that much King.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2021, 8:26am
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
I encourage you to be convicted a serious crime to give you the time you'll need to push thru that much King.
"I didn't think much of Silent Majority when he walked into Shawshank, grinning ear to ear, carrying a pile of books as big as himself. Seemed like a real ass hole, as a matter of fact."

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
31 Jan 2021, 9:04am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2021, 8:26am
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
"I didn't think much of Silent Majority when he walked into Shawshank, grinning ear to ear, carrying a pile of books as big as himself. Seemed like a real ass hole, as a matter of fact."
Get busy reading or get busy tunneling out of jail.

A former friend of mine, a writer inspired by King, was basically on a permanent re-read of King's works. That's not all he read, of course, but as part of his habit he was regularly re-reading King's stuff in chronological order. I'm sure he's read The Shining more than three dozen times now.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

6)...And It's Goodnight From Him: The Autobiography of the Two Ronnies by Ronnie Corbett. Paperback. 2007. I've never really enjoyed Corbett. I think Barker was a master, with Porridge maybe the best British sitcom of all time. Together, they're just not particularly funny, I find, though there are examples of admirable wordplay amongst the drag and blackface of 70s light entertainment. I love that world and the laid back good time stories that springs from it and even if there's considerably less sparkle than Morecambe and Wise, this was still an entertaining and amusing read. It's a shame the talented one died first, leaving Corbett to write the autobiography. What I found charming was the portrait of a mutually supportive male friendship, something you don't read about very often.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Audiobook started today. Partly a history of American germ warfare, partly a memoir of trying to construct that history against government secrecy. Plenty to be appalled by!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Rebecca is one of my alltime fave movies, I oughtta read the book.
As for King, I'm about 2/3 through Salem's Lot, fucking LOVE LOVE it.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

tepista wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 8:51pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Rebecca is one of my alltime fave movies, I oughtta read the book.
As for King, I'm about 2/3 through Salem's Lot, fucking LOVE LOVE it.
One of his best, no doubt

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Fuck this moron.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 10:18am
Fuck this moron.

Yay! Cultural segregation!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

What does MC mean?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Flex wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 1:05pm
What does MC mean?
I'l go even further and say I don't know what ANY of that means!
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

tepista wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 1:21pm
I'l go even further and say I don't know what ANY of that means!
bear with him tep, it's gonna be a THREAD
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Flex wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 1:05pm