Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by tepista »

Is this what Hooks means when he says "bathtub book"?

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 5:44pm
Is this what Hooks means when he says "bathtub book"?

On the advice of my attorney, I can neither confirm nor deny this.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

The man looks like Cleopatra, bathing in milk.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Kory wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 4:41pm
101Walterton wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 4:00pm
Just read Horace Panter Ska'd For Life and now reading Neville Staple Borstal To Rude Boy.
Interesting to read the same story from two different perspective (actually two different universe the gulf between these two personalities).
Let's just say Neville's version is more colourful!!
Holy SHIT that's creepy. I was just coming here to say that I was halfway through Horace's book. It's interesting to find out that Horace wasn't really into Jamaican music growing up like a lot of other people in the scene were.
Haha. It's a great read and gives a lot of insight into what happened however for entertainment value of all 7 members of the band Horace should have been the last to write a book!!! I guess he is probably the only one that remembers what happened as he was tucked up in bed at 9pm with his coco writing his diary.
Neville's book equally good , worlds apart though.
Despite their 'differences' (to put it mildly) the band members speak highly of each other including Jerry.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

101Walterton wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 7:03pm
Kory wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Just read Horace Panter Ska'd For Life and now reading Neville Staple Borstal To Rude Boy.
Interesting to read the same story from two different perspective (actually two different universe the gulf between these two personalities).
Holy SHIT that's creepy. I was just coming here to say that I was halfway through Horace's book. It's interesting to find out that Horace wasn't really into Jamaican music growing up like a lot of other people in the scene were.
Haha. It's a great read and gives a lot of insight into what happened however for entertainment value of all 7 members of the band Horace should have been the last to write a book!!! I guess he is probably the only one that remembers what happened as he was tucked up in bed at 9pm with his coco writing his diary.
Despite their 'differences' (to put it mildly) the band members speak highly of each other including Jerry.
It's been a little bit of a disappointment finding that Horace was such a goody two-shoes, as he's one of my favorite bassists. I was hoping he'd have a little more edge.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Kory wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 8:17pm
101Walterton wrote:
Kory wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
It's been a little bit of a disappointment finding that Horace was such a goody two-shoes, as he's one of my favorite bassists. I was hoping he'd have a little more edge.
Neville more than makes up for it 😊

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 6:20pm
The man looks like Cleopatra, bathing in milk.
Unwanted vision warning here woulda been useful. :scared:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
Kory wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Got them both and both enjoyable reads.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 11:42pm
101Walterton wrote:
Kory wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Yes they are. Their versions of events are remarkebly similar however their views on what happened are very different.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 12:26am
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Kory wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Yes they are. Their versions of events are remarkebly similar however their views on what happened are very different.
Yeah agreed mate, I think Neville being more extrovert is more a fun read but you need a guy who is down to earth and level headed in every band to give a bit of stabillity.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 1:55am
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Kory wrote:

Yeah agreed mate, I think Neville being more extrovert is more a fun read but you need a guy who is down to earth and level headed in every band to give a bit of stabillity.
The Clash look round for the stable on in vain.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Silent Majority wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 5:25am
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

In his book Horace goes on (a bit too much) about how hard they worked on the road and the touring schedule being the end of them. Really?????

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

101Walterton wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 5:30am
Silent Majority wrote:
20 Sep 2017, 5:25am
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

In his book Horace goes on (a bit too much) about how hard they worked on the road and the touring schedule being the end of them. Really?????
It was the end of him at least.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Finished that book on the '47 World Series over lunch. Overly long—a good third is about lives of certain figures afterwards—but it is always a bit shocking how much the players cared about the games, that it was about personal honour as much as anything, and moments of failure haunted some of these guys to the grave. The gut-choice decisions by managers would also drive the modern fan loopy. Hmm, I've got a good feeling about my .175 utility player—go pinch hit at this crucial time. You, the guy with the 8.00 ERA, you're starting the do-or-die game because my ace has a weird look in his eye.

Starting this tonight. Currie's novel Everything Matters is one of my favourite novels from the last decade. I read his follow-up but I honestly don't recall a damned thing about it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

23) Utopia by Thomas More. A man from the sixteenth century, who spent the bulk of his professional career doing anything Henry VIII wanted before being ordered dead by the good prince, writes his fantasy society. As someone who was such a strict Catholic - he railed scatologically against the coming Lutheran tide - I was surprised to see a relaxed attitude to religious toleration amongst the Utopians. I enjoy the language of the book, the country is imaginatively sketched, but it slumps at the end as though he had to hurry to finish to arrange the importation of some tapas for the Queen or something.

24) Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race - Reni Eddo-Lodge. Audiobook as read by the author, in a very comforting South London accent. I thought this book was by an American, which continues my long held tradtion of underestimating the issue of race in the modern UK. I like the book, a wake up call in many ways for me and lead to a few epiphanies in regard to my own conduct but I would still have appreciated some more depth. Like More above, we've got a short essay on a huge topic. But I get that this is a polemic and has a specific audience in mind and wants to make its points quickly. Lodge is a blogger and about my age and some of the things that are wrong with my writing have echoes in hers. 100% recommended nonetheless.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/