Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Dec 2018, 7:28am
Silent Majority wrote:
18 Dec 2018, 6:05am
Millard Fillmore - Paul Finkelman. Paul Finkelman's book sings with a breezy contempt for Fillmore, comparing him with Lincoln so as not to excuse Millard's bigotry as "of its time."Just a book built on the case that this racist weakling was a piece of shit. Now straight onto a book about Franklin Pierce.
The truly insane part of your project is well underway. :lol:
Going to revisit Lincoln again after these doughfaced sons of bitches. A guy who actually believed in things and did stuff will be a relief, whatever his flaws.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
18 Dec 2018, 10:03am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Millard Fillmore - Paul Finkelman. Paul Finkelman's book sings with a breezy contempt for Fillmore, comparing him with Lincoln so as not to excuse Millard's bigotry as "of its time."Just a book built on the case that this racist weakling was a piece of shit. Now straight onto a book about Franklin Pierce.
Going to revisit Lincoln again after these doughfaced sons of bitches. A guy who actually believed in things and did stuff will be a relief, whatever his flaws.
How much of Lincoln's reputation as the greatest president owes to being bracketed by several decades of placeholding boobs?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Dec 2018, 10:31am
Silent Majority wrote:
18 Dec 2018, 10:03am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
How much of Lincoln's reputation as the greatest president owes to being bracketed by several decades of placeholding boobs?
That, and also just our general low expectations of people who seek and achieve power. Like, working hard and having a genuine interest in the common good is way beyond the pale for a lot of leaders. Those who leap that bar, whatever their ideology, are often lauded.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Starting this today:

I expect to be wistful and sad and a kid all over again. Fuck Rick Monday till the universe collapses.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Franklin Pierce - Michael F Holt. A fairly sympathetic race through a guy who believed the unity of the Democratic Party was the most important thing in the world, but still one which ends up condemning him based on his deeds.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
23 Dec 2018, 6:13pm
Franklin Pierce - Michael F Holt. A fairly sympathetic race through a guy who believed the unity of the Democratic Party was the most important thing in the world, but still one which ends up condemning him based on his deeds.
I don't know of Holt's work, but he's had a long, presumably successful career. Yet … yet, he spends his remaining years immersing himself in the life of Franklin Pierce? He had to have been atoning for some misdeed.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 9:42am
Starting this today:

I expect to be wistful and sad and a kid all over again. Fuck Rick Monday till the universe collapses.
Always hated Rick Monday. Who the fuck names their family after a day of the week? Come to think of it I hated all those late 70s' - early 80s Dodgers.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
23 Dec 2018, 7:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 9:42am
Starting this today:

Always hated Rick Monday. Who the fuck names their family after a day of the week? Come to think of it I hated all those late 70s' - early 80s Dodgers.
No bigger phoney asswipe than Steve Garvey.

(The book is shitty, tho. The guy has the writing and organizational skills of a college student. Events are poorly/quickly described and it's all just really clumsily presented. His publisher clearly offered zero support to get the manuscript into shape.)

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Dec 2018, 6:31pm
Silent Majority wrote:
I don't know of Holt's work, but he's had a long, presumably successful career. Yet … yet, he spends his remaining years immersing himself in the life of Franklin Pierce? He had to have been atoning for some misdeed.
It's a decent book. Me and the 12 other people who've read it are fairly positive.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
23 Dec 2018, 9:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Dec 2018, 6:31pm
Silent Majority wrote:
It's a decent book. Me and the 12 other people who've read it are fairly positive.
I remember a stat from a few years back that had the average university press book selling 500 copies. That includes library purchases and factoring in successful books. Your dozen other readers may not be that far off the mark.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I'm reading a stupid book about a woman who lives in Maine ans solves mysteries via needlepointing because that's all the intellectual capacity I have right now. Man, between this and Cabot Cove, Maine really is the most dangerous place on earth.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
24 Dec 2018, 11:29am
I'm reading a stupid book about a woman who lives in Maine ans solves mysteries via needlepointing because that's all the intellectual capacity I have right now. Man, between this and Cabot Cove, Maine really is the most dangerous place on earth.
http://www.clashcity.com/boards/viewtop ... 05#p480905

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Dec 2018, 11:33am
JennyB wrote:
24 Dec 2018, 11:29am
http://www.clashcity.com/boards/viewtop ... 05#p480905
:mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Tub book:
Edelman was one of RFK's aides and, semi-famously, resigned from the Clinton administration over Bill's betrayal of America's underclass during welfare "reform." The book uses as a springboard Clinton's abuse of a statement from RFK to justify that betrayal. It's part memoir, part argument for a national re-commitment to empower the marginalized (hey, how'd that go?). There's an amusing passage where LA's mayor Sam Yorty, testifying before a Senate poverty committee, kept dodging RFK's questions by saying these issues were out of his purview. When the session broke for lunch, RFK suggested Yorty stick around for the rest of the day's hearings given that he apparently didn't have a job to go back to. RFK remains my irrational mainstream faith … tho he's been dead for half a century so it's all rather moot.

Bedtime book:
Starting this tonight. The two men shared a correspondence. If Republicans knew about this, they would have excised Abe from the party's history long before Trump.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

And weirdly, most of the Twitter Marxists would’ve done the same.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"