Association Football Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35401
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by Marky Dread » 23 May 2016, 10:16pm

Flex wrote:
101Walterton wrote:It is hard to judge success at Celtic whilst they play in the Scottish league. I expect he will win the league (even I could do that) therefore the only real test is the Champions League and when you win most weeks without trying to hard it is very difficult to be competitive when you are suddenly up against real opposition.
Yeah. I mean, it would be cool to see Celtic make some deep runs in the CL, but I'm just not sure Rodgers is the guy to help make that happen. But maybe he is! As you say, there's a structural issue going against Celtic, but maybe he's a difference maker. I dunno, as I said, I find it interesting.
OK I see where you are at. Rogers or whoever manages Celtic is not an issue as 101 said he could do it. It's about playing against quality opposition week in week out and the SPL does not offer that in my opinion therefore Celtic having much chance against the big teams in the CL is unlikely.
Image
Image

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14819
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by 101Walterton » 23 May 2016, 10:21pm

Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
101Walterton wrote:It is hard to judge success at Celtic whilst they play in the Scottish league. I expect he will win the league (even I could do that) therefore the only real test is the Champions League and when you win most weeks without trying to hard it is very difficult to be competitive when you are suddenly up against real opposition.
Yeah. I mean, it would be cool to see Celtic make some deep runs in the CL, but I'm just not sure Rodgers is the guy to help make that happen. But maybe he is! As you say, there's a structural issue going against Celtic, but maybe he's a difference maker. I dunno, as I said, I find it interesting.
OK I see where you are at. Rogers or whoever manages Celtic is not an issue as 101 said he could do it. It's about playing against quality opposition week in week out and the SPL does not offer that in my opinion therefore Celtic having much chance against the big teams in the CL is unlikely.
Unlikely regardless of who the coach is.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35401
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by Marky Dread » 23 May 2016, 10:39pm

101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
101Walterton wrote:It is hard to judge success at Celtic whilst they play in the Scottish league. I expect he will win the league (even I could do that) therefore the only real test is the Champions League and when you win most weeks without trying to hard it is very difficult to be competitive when you are suddenly up against real opposition.
Yeah. I mean, it would be cool to see Celtic make some deep runs in the CL, but I'm just not sure Rodgers is the guy to help make that happen. But maybe he is! As you say, there's a structural issue going against Celtic, but maybe he's a difference maker. I dunno, as I said, I find it interesting.
OK I see where you are at. Rogers or whoever manages Celtic is not an issue as 101 said he could do it. It's about playing against quality opposition week in week out and the SPL does not offer that in my opinion therefore Celtic having much chance against the big teams in the CL is unlikely.
Unlikely regardless of who the coach is.
Exactly mate.
Image
Image

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14819
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by 101Walterton » 23 May 2016, 11:07pm

Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
101Walterton wrote:It is hard to judge success at Celtic whilst they play in the Scottish league. I expect he will win the league (even I could do that) therefore the only real test is the Champions League and when you win most weeks without trying to hard it is very difficult to be competitive when you are suddenly up against real opposition.
Yeah. I mean, it would be cool to see Celtic make some deep runs in the CL, but I'm just not sure Rodgers is the guy to help make that happen. But maybe he is! As you say, there's a structural issue going against Celtic, but maybe he's a difference maker. I dunno, as I said, I find it interesting.
OK I see where you are at. Rogers or whoever manages Celtic is not an issue as 101 said he could do it. It's about playing against quality opposition week in week out and the SPL does not offer that in my opinion therefore Celtic having much chance against the big teams in the CL is unlikely.
Unlikely regardless of who the coach is.
Exactly mate.
I read that there is a proposal to increase the football league by one division to go back to 4 ( not sure why EPL doesn't count?).
Renewed speculation of Old Firm joining.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35401
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by Marky Dread » 24 May 2016, 3:27am

101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
Yeah. I mean, it would be cool to see Celtic make some deep runs in the CL, but I'm just not sure Rodgers is the guy to help make that happen. But maybe he is! As you say, there's a structural issue going against Celtic, but maybe he's a difference maker. I dunno, as I said, I find it interesting.
OK I see where you are at. Rogers or whoever manages Celtic is not an issue as 101 said he could do it. It's about playing against quality opposition week in week out and the SPL does not offer that in my opinion therefore Celtic having much chance against the big teams in the CL is unlikely.
Unlikely regardless of who the coach is.
Exactly mate.
I read that there is a proposal to increase the football league by one division to go back to 4 ( not sure why EPL doesn't count?).
Renewed speculation of Old Firm joining.
I doubt it will happen.
Image
Image

Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1185
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:08am

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by Low Down Low » 24 May 2016, 3:54am

Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
OK I see where you are at. Rogers or whoever manages Celtic is not an issue as 101 said he could do it. It's about playing against quality opposition week in week out and the SPL does not offer that in my opinion therefore Celtic having much chance against the big teams in the CL is unlikely.
Unlikely regardless of who the coach is.
Exactly mate.
I read that there is a proposal to increase the football league by one division to go back to 4 ( not sure why EPL doesn't count?).
Renewed speculation of Old Firm joining.
I doubt it will happen.
Doubt it too but could see them getting the real prize they want which is to get their Premier League B teams into the Football League in some guise, maybe starting off with one of the cup competitions, bunging the League clubs a few extra quid for their troubles and dressing it up as them doing their bit for the national team. Which is funny because the Premier League clubs could do their bit themselves by having a winter break but they'll never do it because Sky would never let them.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35401
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by Marky Dread » 24 May 2016, 2:13pm

Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Unlikely regardless of who the coach is.
Exactly mate.
I read that there is a proposal to increase the football league by one division to go back to 4 ( not sure why EPL doesn't count?).
Renewed speculation of Old Firm joining.
I doubt it will happen.
Doubt it too but could see them getting the real prize they want which is to get their Premier League B teams into the Football League in some guise, maybe starting off with one of the cup competitions, bunging the League clubs a few extra quid for their troubles and dressing it up as them doing their bit for the national team. Which is funny because the Premier League clubs could do their bit themselves by having a winter break but they'll never do it because Sky would never let them.
I agree with all the above.
Image
Image

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14819
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by 101Walterton » 24 May 2016, 3:19pm

Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Exactly mate.
I read that there is a proposal to increase the football league by one division to go back to 4 ( not sure why EPL doesn't count?).
Renewed speculation of Old Firm joining.
I doubt it will happen.
Doubt it too but could see them getting the real prize they want which is to get their Premier League B teams into the Football League in some guise, maybe starting off with one of the cup competitions, bunging the League clubs a few extra quid for their troubles and dressing it up as them doing their bit for the national team. Which is funny because the Premier League clubs could do their bit themselves by having a winter break but they'll never do it because Sky would never let them.
I agree with all the above.
Yep I have no doubt the big clubs would love to have the reserve team playing. It would be great for them if they could but it would do nothing for the smaller clubs and would be a huge disadvantage for many reasons.
It would put an end to the loan system which many clubs benefit from.

Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1185
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:08am

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by Low Down Low » 24 May 2016, 6:36pm

101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
I read that there is a proposal to increase the football league by one division to go back to 4 ( not sure why EPL doesn't count?).
Renewed speculation of Old Firm joining.
I doubt it will happen.
Doubt it too but could see them getting the real prize they want which is to get their Premier League B teams into the Football League in some guise, maybe starting off with one of the cup competitions, bunging the League clubs a few extra quid for their troubles and dressing it up as them doing their bit for the national team. Which is funny because the Premier League clubs could do their bit themselves by having a winter break but they'll never do it because Sky would never let them.
I agree with all the above.
Yep I have no doubt the big clubs would love to have the reserve team playing. It would be great for them if they could but it would do nothing for the smaller clubs and would be a huge disadvantage for many reasons.
It would put an end to the loan system which many clubs benefit from.
Nail on head mate. Greg Dyke is the man who has been pushing this for the last 2 or 3 years and now he's bellyaching as he leaves the FA because nobody will buy his ideas of "reform" which is laughable from the guy who as head of ITV was the original instigator of the breakaway League. There'll be more whinging when Spain or Germany win the Euros and they'll say all the big teams have active B teams over there so we not here too? The reason is English football exists to serve ALL the clubs and the fans and its four division system is actually what makes it unique and special. Let's hope the cunts leave it that way.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71142
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 28 Jun 2016, 2:31pm

Don't say I don't love my Limeys (but not enough to call it football). Here's a soccer quiz: http://www.sporcle.com/games/estebanrey ... lub_trivia
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 14819
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by 101Walterton » 28 Jun 2016, 3:41pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:Don't say I don't love my Limeys (but not enough to call it football). Here's a soccer quiz: http://www.sporcle.com/games/estebanrey ... lub_trivia
I like that quiz once you get used to the format.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35401
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by Marky Dread » 28 Jun 2016, 7:47pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:Don't say I don't love my Limeys (but not enough to call it football). Here's a soccer quiz: http://www.sporcle.com/games/estebanrey ... lub_trivia
21/21.
Image
Image

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 71142
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla » 28 Jun 2016, 7:55pm

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Don't say I don't love my Limeys (but not enough to call it football). Here's a soccer quiz: http://www.sporcle.com/games/estebanrey ... lub_trivia
21/21.
Clicking randomly, I got 2/21 :approve:
Walrus birth doesn't make good breakfast conversation!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 35401
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by Marky Dread » 28 Jun 2016, 8:30pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Don't say I don't love my Limeys (but not enough to call it football). Here's a soccer quiz: http://www.sporcle.com/games/estebanrey ... lub_trivia
21/21.
Clicking randomly, I got 2/21 :approve:
Congrats man! :mrgreen:
Image
Image

Rat Patrol
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 14581
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 9:23pm
Location: A flat burning junkheap for twenty square miles

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by Rat Patrol » 28 Jun 2016, 9:50pm

Lame. The lowest score you can get is 1/21.

So much for being a perfect septic. :disshame:
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kory and 3 guests