Association Football Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Association Football Thread

Post by Low Down Low »

Kimmelweck wrote:
22 Aug 2023, 7:35am
Low Down Low wrote:
22 Aug 2023, 2:57am
Kimmelweck wrote:
22 Aug 2023, 1:48am
Anyone else notice the creepy guy giving big unwanted kisses to all of the Spanish players at the medal ceremony? Who the fuck was that asshole, shamelessly making himself the center of attention - is he the fucking king of Spain or some shit? :scared:
That was the head of the Spanish FA, saw him doing it to one of the players and it looked horrible, a completely weird and inappropriate thing to do. Even after the final whistle, while all the team celebrated together on the pitch, the camera flashed to the coaching team all celebrating on the sideline and I noticed they seemed to be all exclusively male. I've no idea what's going on in that association, but that just looked very odd and discordant to me.
Ah, ok. Wasn’t sure who he was. But yeah, that was hard to watch.
There was a fair bit of coverage on the news channels yesterday, he eventually apologised for it but seemed more like an "I'm sorry if i offended anyone" apology to me. Not very edifying to say the least.

Also saw the bit where the father of the winning goalscorer passed away two days before the match and they chose not to tell her until afterwards. Can't imagine what that must have felt like.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Low Down Low wrote:
22 Aug 2023, 8:46am
Kimmelweck wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Anyone else notice the creepy guy giving big unwanted kisses to all of the Spanish players at the medal ceremony? Who the fuck was that asshole, shamelessly making himself the center of attention - is he the fucking king of Spain or some shit? :scared:
That was the head of the Spanish FA, saw him doing it to one of the players and it looked horrible, a completely weird and inappropriate thing to do. Even after the final whistle, while all the team celebrated together on the pitch, the camera flashed to the coaching team all celebrating on the sideline and I noticed they seemed to be all exclusively male. I've no idea what's going on in that association, but that just looked very odd and discordant to me.
There was a fair bit of coverage on the news channels yesterday, he eventually apologised for it but seemed more like an "I'm sorry if i offended anyone" apology to me. Not very edifying to say the least.

Also saw the bit where the father of the winning goalscorer passed away two days before the match and they chose not to tell her until afterwards. Can't imagine what that must have felt like.
Hello,

Spain was great on the field but their federation has been screwy with the women's side of football. This kind of sums things up including the kiss on the lips:

https://sports.yahoo.com/spain-kiss-wom ... 14063.html

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

gkbill wrote:
22 Aug 2023, 9:04am
Low Down Low wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

Hello,

Spain was great on the field but their federation has been screwy with the women's side of football. This kind of sums things up including the kiss on the lips:

The guy's behaviour, including in the dressing room after, was incredibly unprofessional as well as creepy. I don't know much about Spain's football culture, but I very much doubt he'd still be in his position if he was in this part of the world. Not without some serious grovelling and row back at a bare minimum.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Low Down Low wrote:
22 Aug 2023, 9:32am
gkbill wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Hello,

The guy's behaviour, including in the dressing room after, was incredibly unprofessional as well as creepy. I don't know much about Spain's football culture, but I very much doubt he'd still be in his position if he was in this part of the world. Not without some serious grovelling and row back at a bare minimum.
Hello,

Most federations are "good old boys" networks. I'd love to see the resumes of people in high level/high paying administrative jobs - what were your qualifications?

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

gkbill wrote:
22 Aug 2023, 10:56am
Low Down Low wrote:
22 Aug 2023, 9:32am
gkbill wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

Hello,

Hello,

Most federations are "good old boys" networks. I'd love to see the resumes of people in high level/high paying administrative jobs - what were your qualifications?
Very true. Ireland here is an instructive example. Football, despite being by far the biggest sport in terms of playing population, has been run by a catalogue of small-time crooks and chancers for the guts of 50 years and both national team and domestic leagues are little short of a joke at the moment. Rugby, in contrast, has been administered by smart, savvy middle-class businessmen with vision and a long-term plan and Ireland are currently the No.1 ranked team in the world and one of the favourites for the upcoming World Cup. None of that is accidental.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Great season everyone! Weird that it's over before September, but that's just the way it is this year I guess
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
26 Aug 2023, 9:20pm
Great season everyone! Weird that it's over before September, but that's just the way it is this year I guess
Top for a day oh well at least that's better than Spurs. 🤣

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

That might be as high as Chelsea get.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Teriffic comeback by Liverpool.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I definitely think West Ham are on course to have a fine season, signing Ward-Prowse was a very smart piece of business, they look strong in all the vital areas. That said, i can't understand how Brighton didn't get one penalty award at least. One was absolutely blatant to my eyes and another was clearly handball but not given. Which is fine, but you see them given on other days so, even with VAR, that inconsistency still exists and it's easy to see why managers and players get frustrated. Be good if they came out afterwards and explained these decisions or non-decisions as the case may be.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 4:39am
I definitely think West Ham are on course to have a fine season, signing Ward-Prowse was a very smart piece of business, they look strong in all the vital areas. That said, i can't understand how Brighton didn't get one penalty award at least. One was absolutely blatant to my eyes and another was clearly handball but not given. Which is fine, but you see them given on other days so, even with VAR, that inconsistency still exists and it's easy to see why managers and players get frustrated. Be good if they came out afterwards and explained these decisions or non-decisions as the case may be.
The so called shoulder barge was a nailed on penalty for me. Took the man and not the ball.

I think West Ham will have a reasonable season. Moyes got the counter attack spot on against Brighton and the finishes were excellent. I doubt they will sustain that for a season though. Jarrod Bowen looks a real class act. I don't see West Ham breaking into a top 4 finish just yet. On another day Brighton get a couple of goals and it's a very different game.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 5:09am
Low Down Low wrote:
The so called shoulder barge was a nailed on penalty for me. Took the man and not the ball.

I think West Ham will have a reasonable season. Moyes got the counter attack spot on against Brighton and the finishes were excellent. I doubt they will sustain that for a season though. Jarrod Bowen looks a real class act. I don't see West Ham breaking into a top 4 finish just yet. On another day Brighton get a couple of goals and it's a very different game.
Can't remember who the pundit on telly was but he came out with "good old-fashioned shoulder charge" after it and geezer next me in the pub goes, "yeah, in the 1970s" which about sums it up. It was barely shoulder anyway but, as you say, it was man first, no effort to get the ball and as blatant a foul as you'll see.

I wouldn't get carried away after 2 games but they have a lot of good players and should win plenty of games. Top 6 is a reasonable target which i think is achievable.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 5:17am
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Can't remember who the pundit on telly was but he came out with "good old-fashioned shoulder charge" after it and geezer next me in the pub goes, "yeah, in the 1970s" which about sums it up. It was barely shoulder anyway but, as you say, it was man first, no effort to get the ball and as blatant a foul as you'll see.

I wouldn't get carried away after 2 games but they have a lot of good players and should win plenty of games. Top 6 is a reasonable target which i think is achievable.
Yes very possible. Though not so easily achievable as there are a fair few teams that are already looking stronger this season. Still it's all early days.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 8:45am
Low Down Low wrote:
28 Aug 2023, 5:17am
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Yes very possible. Though not so easily achievable as there are a fair few teams that are already looking stronger this season. Still it's all early days.
Absolutely and Brighton did not play badly at all and another day Ferguson could have had a hat trick. They're a nice team, play very positive football and could still replicate last season's top 6 finish. A few teams in there for sure.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Well, this ongoing saga just took another unexpected turn.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ort-of-him