The Coronavirus Thread Of Good News

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Coronavirus Thread Of Good News

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 8:21pm
Sparky wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 7:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 5:17pm
Low Down Low wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 5:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 11:47am

Well, he's got a shit ton of money—he just sold his catalogue for $100M+—and it's not like Spotify royalties amount to much. Its only real value to artists is exposure and he doesn't need that. But pulling his songs does deprive the company of some revenue and perhaps might inspire other artists to do the same. It's a fine principle and all, but more practically it's just a gesture.
So he still obviously retains some control even though he sold the rights? Either way, I'm down with it as a simple gesture.
I'm not sure how these sales go. It seems weird to think they'd completely divest all rights.

edit: He sold 50% of publishing rights.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/06/neil-yo ... -fund.html
Maybe he used the money to buy in on Lionel trains, which makes me respect him even more.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... 5ab29fc70/
Heh. Well, it was 25 years ago, but still, what a strange thing to buy. I really don't care much for NY music, apart from a few songs, but he's a wonderfully weird guy. Plus he championed Devo in the late 70s, so that's permanent good guy status.
That was my feeble attempt a train humor, I'm a train fan, so NY can do no wrong on that front.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

amj241
Dirty Punk

Post by amj241 »

Sparky wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 12:12pm
revbob wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 11:54am
Sparky wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 11:26am
I've always admired Neil Young for sticking to his principles. He's willing to forgo some of his income in order to call attention to the lunacy that is Joe Rogan.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/joe-rogan- ... 00-10abd1h
Unfortunately Spotify is likely to side with Joe Rogan over phony free speech concerns. They make a ton of money off Rogan and his incel army of supporters.
I was reading that Rogan program has 11 million listeners, so I agree, they'll side with Rogan, but if more artists took this position I could see it having an impact on Spotify.
I agree. I don’t think they’ll do anything yet if it’s just Neil but it might be harder not to do something if more artists follow. I have a premium account and I only regularly listen to about 5-6 artists, so if one of those left, I absolutely would cancel to go to a different service. I’m sure a lot of subscribers would do the same.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 8:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

So he still obviously retains some control even though he sold the rights? Either way, I'm down with it as a simple gesture.
I'm not sure how these sales go. It seems weird to think they'd completely divest all rights.

Maybe he used the money to buy in on Lionel trains, which makes me respect him even more.

Heh. Well, it was 25 years ago, but still, what a strange thing to buy. I really don't care much for NY music, apart from a few songs, but he's a wonderfully weird guy. Plus he championed Devo in the late 70s, so that's permanent good guy status.
That was my feeble attempt a train humor, I'm a train fan, so NY can do no wrong on that front.
I want to say it was something that was related to therapy of some sort his son was going thru.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Trains ain't nothin' for jestin', sir!

I had a train set—very, very modest—when I was a kid. I never had the required imagination or hobbyist inclination on that front for it to work for me. Still, whenever I see people's elaborate model train set ups and communities, it's hard not to be impressed.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

*el posto duplicato*

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 8:29pm
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I had a train set—very, very modest—when I was a kid. I never had the required imagination or hobbyist inclination on that front for it to work for me. Still, whenever I see people's elaborate model train set ups and communities, it's hard not to be impressed.
You're leaving out the bit about imitation crab meat and JO sessions.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 8:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:

I thought that was implied when I said I was impressed.

(That ranks among the best of our weird recurring threads. I once tried to explain the model trains, imitation crab meat, and JO connection to the Boss and I could see so much second-guessing in her eyes.)

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 8:27pm
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I want to say it was something that was related to therapy of some sort his son was going thru.
I recall something along those lines as well. I believe 2 of his children have cerebral palsy and NY created a remote control so his son could enjoy operating the trains.

https://patient-innovation.com/post/219 ... 0to%202006.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I've tried to build a somewhat elaborate layout, but never completed it due to moving around so much as a young adult. Even a smallish N gauge layout is a challenge to move without damaging it. I did however put up an O gauge set up around our Christmas tree this year, lots of fun.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 9:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:

I've tried to build a somewhat elaborate layout, but never completed it due to moving around so much as a young adult. Even a smallish N gauge layout is a challenge to move without damaging it. I did however put up an O gauge set up around our Christmas tree this year, lots of fun.
If you get to the point of wearing an old-style engineer's cap, turn back.

But now that you're retired, I could see it being a fun obsession to work on.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 8:36pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

(That ranks among the best of our weird recurring threads. I once tried to explain the model trains, imitation crab meat, and JO connection to the Boss and I could see so much second-guessing in her eyes.)
Cheers for trying. I tend to go by the policy of what happens in IMCT stays in IMCT.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 9:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 8:36pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:

Cheers for trying. I tend to go by the policy of what happens in IMCT stays in IMCT.
If it helps, she quite likes it when people here are mean to me. Apparently I “deserve it.”*

* Heston on the topic of KISS very much excluded.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 9:22pm
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Are you spying one me again? I actually had one out during the holidays, it was stored away with my train stuff. It used to belong to my grandfather, he was a huge model railroader.
Attachments
JCP Big Mac.jpg
JCP Big Mac.jpg (100.02 KiB) Viewed 1307 times

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 9:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:

Are you spying one me again? I actually had one out during the holidays, it was stored away with my train stuff. It used to belong to my grandfather, he was a huge model railroader.
:lol: Step back, step back! You’re too close to the abyss!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote:
25 Jan 2022, 9:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:

Ok but no crab meat nor JO sessions right?