The Cricket Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
laxman
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by laxman »

IMG_1575.JPG
Can't get this to go the right way up, but me and Sir Garfield outside the Bridgetown Oval recently.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

laxman wrote:
01 Sep 2019, 11:55am
IMG_1575.JPG

Can't get this to go the right way up, but me and Sir Garfield outside the Bridgetown Oval recently.
Great picture!

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Made a good start but delayed by the rain. A draw not the end of the world, but would be great to take the advantage.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
01 Sep 2019, 11:55am
IMG_1575.JPG

Sobers up. ;)
Attachments
20190904_185850.jpg

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Thanks Marky.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Serious slow defensive play needed tomorrow. Even if they get to the end of the day getting 100 but not losing wickets, it's a plus. Smith was fabulous today, love him or hate him. Think the better side may take this game/series.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Has one player ever been that much better than anyone else on the field than Smith in this series?
He is on another level to everyone else. Yes England only won the test when he was out with concussion but he he is also the only reason Australia won the first test.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Wouldn't it be nice to have some stereotypical Mancunian weather for the next 3 days.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

101Walterton wrote:
05 Sep 2019, 5:05pm
Has one player ever been that much better than anyone else on the field than Smith in this series?
He is on another level to everyone else. Yes England only won the test when he was out with concussion but he he is also the only reason Australia won the first test.
Nah he's been number one for me, great great cricketer. Shown the English how batting should be done. Yes the last spell of the last test was excellent but let's not forgot the shoddy batting before, not up to test standard.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

It was inevitable. Even if we had scraped a draw and won the last test, it wouldn't have felt deserved. A mixture of the Aussies having too much class and England players treating each game as a one date. The batting over the 4 games has mostly been atrocious. Bowling a little more positive however, great to see Archer working well in the attack and Broad showing why he's still very much worthy of a place in the team.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BitterTom wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 1:06pm
It was inevitable. Even if we had scraped a draw and won the last test, it wouldn't have felt deserved. A mixture of the Aussies having too much class and England players treating each game as a one date. The batting over the 4 games has mostly been atrocious. Bowling a little more positive however, great to see Archer working well in the attack and Broad showing why he's still very much worthy of a place in the team.
I don’t think the Aussies had too much class they just had Smith. Take him out of the equation and they would have lost the series.no coincidence they lost the game he didn’t play.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

101Walterton wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 5:39pm
BitterTom wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 1:06pm
I don’t think the Aussies had too much class they just had Smith. Take him out of the equation and they would have lost the series.no coincidence they lost the game he didn’t play.
Nah worded it wrong in my tiredness. Would have been interesting to see how it would have panned out if Smith didn't play but to be fair their bowling wasn't too bad.

Or was it just our poor batting?

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

It is no coincidence the one game (he plays in) that we get Smith out in one innings before he gets going we win.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

England squad for two Tests in New Zealand:Joe Root (Yorkshire) captain, Jofra Archer (Sussex), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Rory Burns (Surrey), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Zak Crawley (Kent), Sam Curran (Surrey), Joe Denly (Kent), Jack Leach (Somerset), Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire), Matthew Parkinson (Lancashire), Ollie Pope (Surrey), Dominic Sibley (Warwickshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire).

No Bairstow and think that's a good call to be honest. May do him some good, and keep him fresh for the one days. Happy to see new faces as well, and a welcome return of Ollie Pope, would have loved to see him in the Ashes. Foakes deserved a spot as well, would have made sense in my eyes to swap him with Bairstow.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Bumping this as I can't get this piece of perfection out of my head.
Attachments
HeavyUnevenIrukandjijellyfish-size_restricted.gif
HeavyUnevenIrukandjijellyfish-size_restricted.gif (4.68 MiB) Viewed 3336 times