The Growing Old Kinda Sucks thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Growing Old Kinda Sucks thread

Post by BitterTom »

revbob wrote:
28 May 2019, 5:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 May 2019, 5:24pm
Marky Dread wrote:
28 May 2019, 5:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 May 2019, 3:06pm
I also bought yet another set of reading glasses, but stronger yet. That seems to be helping some, too. As freaked as I am about eye surgery (however many months down the road that'll be), by frustration with my declining vision is overruling that anxiety. I've always had excellent vision, and instead of a gradual decline it's all gone to shit in a year or so.
When I had my retina reattached over a year ago I must admit I was a little apprehensive. But it was painless and easy. I wish you every success buddy
Everyone tells me that cataract surgery is super quick and easy, but the idea of having my eye sliced is terrifying. I couldn't even watch the Boss take out her contacts.
Yeah I'm pretty sure I'll just end up going with glasses. I cant even put drops in my eyes or open them in the water
Every time I visit the optician, they try to convince me to contacts. Nope. For the reasons you brought up, I'm sticking to glasses.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

All the best Doc, I hope the op is quick and painless.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Some 20 odd years ago my wife almost got laser eye surgery. Back then you pretty much had to go to Montreal to get it done, I believe it had been pioneered there. However some places here were starting to do it. The consultant in the US gave the green light. We went to Montreal for a second opinion and they advised against it as there was a good chance of complications of some sort but suggested checking back in 5 years or so. She never went back and just wears glasses.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
28 May 2019, 9:33pm
Some 20 odd years ago my wife almost got laser eye surgery. Back then you pretty much had to go to Montreal to get it done, I believe it had been pioneered there. However some places here were starting to do it. The consultant in the US gave the green light. We went to Montreal for a second opinion and they advised against it as there was a good chance of complications of some sort but suggested checking back in 5 years or so. She never went back and just wears glasses.
The Boss did laser a few years ago. Went perfectly for her. She has reading glasses for really fine squinty stuff, but otherwise she doesn't need anything now. I was with her for the zapping and the asked if I wanted to be there in the room. I all but asked if they were high. Yeah, I want to hear crackle and smell burning coming from my wife's eyeballs.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I got my eyelid sliced open a couple of years back. A bit uncomfortable but not terrible. My only operation other than having my adenoids out.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I also bought yet another set of reading glasses, but stronger yet. That seems to be helping some, too. As freaked as I am about eye surgery (however many months down the road that'll be), by frustration with my declining vision is overruling that anxiety. I've always had excellent vision, and instead of a gradual decline it's all gone to shit in a year or so.
When I had my retina reattached over a year ago I must admit I was a little apprehensive. But it was painless and easy. I wish you every success buddy
Everyone tells me that cataract surgery is super quick and easy, but the idea of having my eye sliced is terrifying. I couldn't even watch the Boss take out her contacts.
SLICING UP EYEBALLS AH HA HA HO!

Can they sedate you?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

I've been wanting to get my eyes lasered for years, but you only have one set of eyes. If something goes wrong, you're fucked. It's not like getting a tramp stamp at 21 and fixing it at 30 after you've grown up and popped out a coupla kids. Back in the day, I could wear contacts before my eyes started reacting to the solution and the contacts stayed stuck to my eyeball. Sucks.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
29 May 2019, 11:05am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I kinda beat you to it JB further up the thread ''Just lie back put Debaser by the Pixies on and it'll all be over in no time''.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
Can they sedate you?
No, they numb the eyes, as I understand it, but that's it. Everyone says it's super quick—like 30 seconds.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 May 2019, 11:19am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I kinda beat you to it JB further up the thread ''Just lie back put Debaser by the Pixies on and it'll all be over in no time''.
Damn - I must have missed that!
Got a Rake? Sure!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 May 2019, 11:30am
JennyB wrote:
Can they sedate you?
No, they numb the eyes, as I understand it, but that's it. Everyone says it's super quick—like 30 seconds.
Demand propophol, dammit!
Got a Rake? Sure!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
29 May 2019, 11:56am
Marky Dread wrote:
29 May 2019, 11:19am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Damn - I must have missed that!
Great minds and all that. :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
29 May 2019, 11:57am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Can they sedate you?
I'm in favour of a medically induced coma.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 May 2019, 12:14pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Can they sedate you?
Easy now. British politics is in a coma and look at the state of that.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 May 2019, 12:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 May 2019, 12:14pm
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Can they sedate you?
Easy now. British politics is in a coma and look at the state of that.
I'm at the point where in 90% of situations I'd opt for sleeping until it's over.