MLB 2019

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: MLB 2019

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 12:13pm
Flex wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 12:00pm
Inder wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 12:34am
Fine, I'll do it.

I'll become President of Baseball Operations for the Red Sox and fix the Blue Jays. 😑
extended gag lol

classic sox FO classiness to do this now and not jut let them part ways at the end of the season. This season has been underwhelming but just from the perspective of a fan it doesn't exactly seem like a fireable offense type of season. Whatever. Definitely thanks for the ring, DD, this just seems like hard-headed calculus that he's not who you want to rebuild the farm.
It's quite possible that they told DD that he was going to be fired at the end of the season and he said just do it now rather than have him go thru the motions. And I don't believe for a second that this is about this season. Three straight AL East titles and a WS is nothing to sniff at. It's crazy to think the underperformance of the pitching staff was predominantly his fault. Shit happens. There was some deeper conflict or difference behind the scenes. Ultimately, tho, I don't get too upset when rich guys lose their job.
Exactly the guy I'm sure was paid quite well to predict that if you put together a team of talented players you will probably have a good team. I think baseball more so than most other sports is subject to minor changes having a major effect on things. This is very evident with pitchers. The mechanics of a pitcher will determine where the ball goes and how fast it gets there. You lose 1 to 5 mph on your fastball or less break on your curve and you can go from unhittable to chump.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 1:03pm
The mechanics of a pitcher will determine where the ball goes and how fast it gets there. You lose 1 to 5 mph on your fastball or less break on your curve and you can go from unhittable to chump.
Tho it's more if both things happen you're fucked. That is, guys who lose something off their fastball can still succeed if their control is still excellent, and guys who can throw a ball thru a brick wall can succeed even if their control isn't perfect. But losing both and you're getting ready to scam the citizens of Rhode Island.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Cool, Eddie Romero directed a shitload of Filipino exploitation films, including Mad Doctor of Blood Island, and Black Mama, White Mama with Pam Grier!
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0739388/
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Bo Bichette looks like he's 14 years old.

edit: Also, are Jays fans making Boba Fett jokes about him? They'd better.
Last edited by Dr. Medulla on 10 Sep 2019, 8:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 3:15pm
Cool, Eddie Romero directed a shitload of Filipino exploitation films, including Mad Doctor of Blood Island, and Black Mama, White Mama with Pam Grier!
What's the baseball connection?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 7:34pm
tepista wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 3:15pm
What's the baseball connection?
He's one of the assistant GMs of the Red Sox who have gained responsibility (at least for a month).

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://thebiglead.com/2019/09/11/lenny ... t-on-9-11/

Inner Circle Shithead Hall of Fame.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Fucking Dirty Sanchez pulls his groin trying to steal 2nd base. I'm pretty sure I could run backwards faster than he can forward.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Brewers are quietly putting together a little run. 7 wins in a row to snag the 2nd wild card from the Scrubs. This weekend's series against the Cards will probably decide their season. If they can get through it with too much season they end the calendar with a run against bottom feeders: Padres, Reds, Pirates, Rox. Obviously a tougher job without the MVP - but we shall see.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 7:30pm
Fucking Dirty Sanchez pulls his groin trying to steal 2nd base. I'm pretty sure I could run backwards faster than he can forward.
Of the non-Gardner/Chapman Yankees, he's the only one I really dislike . I'm sure it's related to the fact that, before the rule change re. mound visits, he'd head to the mound five times an inning. Fucking drove me crazy. Since then, everything about him annoys me, including the name Gary. Yeah, I can be petty.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 7:37pm
revbob wrote:
Of the non-Gardner/Chapman Yankees, he's the only one I really dislike . I'm sure it's related to the fact that, before the rule change re. mound visits, he'd head to the mound five times an inning. Fucking drove me crazy. Since then, everything about him annoys me, including the name Gary. Yeah, I can be petty.
I don't see enough televised games to notice mound visits. I just find him maddening. Gardner is kind of like Pedroia I think. Someone you hate on another team but like when he's on yours but Gardner can be pretty serious he's like the most senior guy on the team at this point.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 8:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
I don't see enough televised games to notice mound visits. I just find him maddening. Gardner is kind of like Pedroia I think. Someone you hate on another team but like when he's on yours but Gardner can be pretty serious he's like the most senior guy on the team at this point.
I totally agree about the Gardner/Pedroia comparison. Paul O'Neill, Kevin Youkalis also fit that bill. A prick, but my prick.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 9:15pm
revbob wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 8:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
I totally agree about the Gardner/Pedroia comparison. Paul O'Neill, Kevin Youkalis also fit that bill. A prick, but my prick.
Ha, absolutely.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I think I've shared this photo here before, but this is a shot at Fenway of my grandfather, who passed away in '03 and lived his whole life without ever seeing a Sox championship, and my grandmother, who passed away yesterday afternoon and, crazily, lived to see way more Sox championships that we'd have ever anticipated. Since this is the MLB thread, I'll stick to the baseball connection. This photo was the last time time (2002) we all went to Fenway together. My grandfather would pass away unexpectedly the following winter, just shy of making it to 2004. When I went to college, I'd spend a lot of weekends watching Sox (and Pats) games at my grandmother's house on Cape Cod and even took her to a Pawtucket game at one point (getting into Boston and going to Fenway was too much of an ordeal for her at that point). She also carried on going to Sox spring training every March after my grandfather passed away and I had a couple of opportunities to visit her then and take her to some games down in Florida - including one of her final trips down there several years ago before her health became too poor. She's been suffering from dementia and alzheimers for years now, and we're fortunate that she passed away while she was still basically able to recognize all of her children and at least fake the rest. I last saw her a couple years ago, we were at a cousin's wedding north of Boston, and helped her attend a spend a weekend away from her assisted living home, where she was able to spend time with me and my now-wife, which I'm very thankful for. Outside of the wedding festivities, we still watched the red sox and she enjoyed she enjoyed a few bites of the Fenway Franks we grilled up while she chuckled for probably the thousandth time in my life when I recited the Humphrey Bogart quioe that "a hot dog at the game beats roast beef at the ritz" (always a crowd-pleasing quote for her). Anyways, we're headed back east in a few days for the funeral and such. This is why baseball matters to me.
Attachments
467141_591331420158_1410096106_o.jpg
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!