NFL 2018

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: NFL 2018

Post by Wolter »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 12:11am
Wolter wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 11:36pm
That was unexpected.
I don’t know. Brady is one guy and he’s almost as old as us and we’re old.
True. But the Lions are so incompetent everyone is stealing their plays. Also, they are the Lions.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Wolter wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 1:46am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Wolter wrote:
That was unexpected.
True. But the Lions are so incompetent everyone is stealing their plays. Also, they are the Lions.
As a guy who has become disgusted with football living in a town that worships it I was a little tickled. I live a few blocks in from a drag of bars and restaurants. After the game ended I could hear chaos in the streets.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 9:41am
Wolter wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 1:46am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Wolter wrote:
That was unexpected.
As a guy who has become disgusted with football living in a town that worships it I was a little tickled. I live a few blocks in from a drag of bars and restaurants. After the game ended I could hear chaos in the streets.
I think there are becoming more and more of us. I'm becoming really disgusted with football (and I live in a state that worships it). The game is becoming unwatchable. The rules committee has created a set of rules that are vague and complicated and insane. I used to blame the refs - but they're in an impossible situation - trying to enforce these insane rules.

Watching the Green Bay game yesterday - they again flagged Clay Matthews for a hit on the quarterback - but missed several times Washington players drove Aaron Rodgers into the turf. It isn't just that - defensive backs have pretty much a zero margin for error when trying to cover a receiver.

I get trying to create a safer game - but as sportswriter Mike Freeman wrote this morning: "You can't control the constant violence of football with excessive rules and eggheaded theories for specific types of plays. All you can do with those is confuse players and create a game that fans don't understand."

The league could make changes that would benefit players - again - I'll quote Freeman: "We don't need to get too much into the NFL weeds here, but there are numerous areas the league could address to focus on player health and safety. As mentioned, the Thursday night games are despised by players because of a short rest after playing on a Sunday. Get rid of them. Give interior defensive players the same protection afforded others. Increase roster size. Guarantee salaries and health care. There are literally hundreds of better ways to increase safety."

Really - my biggest complaint - and what has really turned me off - is the attitude of the league. They're incapable of acknowledging when they screw up. They double down on bad calls and bad ideas. The commissioner makes millions per season. It just seems like everything they do is to protect themselves under the guise of player safety...but all they're doing is turning fans off and away.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 10:54am
It just seems like everything they do is to protect themselves under the guise of player safety...but all they're doing is turning fans off and away.
While denying to the hilt the prevalence of brain injuries sustained on the field in the course of a career. It's a sport that's dying and deserves to.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 11:09am
WestwayKid wrote:
It just seems like everything they do is to protect themselves under the guise of player safety...but all they're doing is turning fans off and away.
While denying to the hilt the prevalence of brain injuries sustained on the field in the course of a career. It's a sport that's dying and deserves to.
Yup. Freeman also wrote he suspects the driving motivation behind these rules is to protect the NFL from future class action lawsuits regarding head injuries.

Football is a violent game. It's at the very core of the game and one could argue big hits made the current NFL. I don't know how they create a balance between creating a safe game, yet a game that retains the physical intensity that has made it popular and can that even be done?

If it seemed like the NFL was actually trying to do that - I could stomach the growing pains that led to a safer game - but I really think they're more concerned about covering their own butts than protecting players.

Football players know football is a dangerous game. They know the gamble they're making. I grew up watching racing - which is an incredibly dangerous sport. When those drivers strap in - they know they might not be unbuckling after the race. The difference for me is that the sanctioning bodies that run racing (as well as the track designers, car designers, and so on) have worked together with the drivers to make the sport safer - and they have. It will never be completely safe - but driver safety is constantly evolving and improving.

The NFL is just so arrogant. Their "solution" is to tweak the rules so they can say they have done something. They want to claim they've made an effort, but they really haven't done much. It's still all about the bottom line.

BostonBeaneater

WestwayKid wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 11:26am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Yup. Freeman also wrote he suspects the driving motivation behind these rules is to protect the NFL from future class action lawsuits regarding head injuries.

Football is a violent game. It's at the very core of the game and one could argue big hits made the current NFL. I don't know how they create a balance between creating a safe game, yet a game that retains the physical intensity that has made it popular and can that even be done?

If it seemed like the NFL was actually trying to do that - I could stomach the growing pains that led to a safer game - but I really think they're more concerned about covering their own butts than protecting players.

Football players know football is a dangerous game. They know the gamble they're making. I grew up watching racing - which is an incredibly dangerous sport. When those drivers strap in - they know they might not be unbuckling after the race. The difference for me is that the sanctioning bodies that run racing (as well as the track designers, car designers, and so on) have worked together with the drivers to make the sport safer - and they have. It will never be completely safe - but driver safety is constantly evolving and improving.

The NFL is just so arrogant. Their "solution" is to tweak the rules so they can say they have done something. They want to claim they've made an effort, but they really haven't done much. It's still all about the bottom line.
I would like to see some statistics on youth and high school football. There must be a decline. I cannot see being a responsible parent and allowing your kid to play football. I get that there are risks in any sport but subjecting your head to endless smacking is beyond simple odds, you're going to hurt your brain.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 11:43am
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I would like to see some statistics on youth and high school football. There must be a decline. I cannot see being a responsible parent and allowing your kid to play football. I get that there are risks in any sport but subjecting your head to endless smacking is beyond simple odds, you're going to hurt your brain.
My son is 8 and there is no way he plays football. He's actually pretty good at it for his age. We'll walk down to the field near our house and I'll throw pass after pass at him and he's got great hands. Barely ever doesn't make the catch. They start youth football at 10 in my town and I really have no doubt he could make the team - but he's never going to and the thing is - he knows why and agrees. It's not a case of mom and dad saying no - he already knows about the danger of repeated head injuries - he might not get the full scope of it - but he knows it happens and he doesn't want to play football because of it.

I think when I was younger I would have looked a parent like myself and thought they were overreacting - but they're not. I just read an article on CNN about a youth football player who suffered a handful of concussions and then committed suicide after suffering from extreme mood and behavior changes. That is very real and very scary.

Could my son play football and come through just fine? Maybe. Probably. Am I willing to risk that? No.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... story.html

BostonBeaneater

WestwayKid wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 12:00pm

Could my son play football and come through just fine? Maybe. Probably. Am I willing to risk that? No.
Basketball and baseball are better, safer, and cheaper. I don't want to bag on hockey but it's a pricey game. Soccer is melting the American spirit.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
I often refer back to a comment someone made on SoSH: Football is like stripping; I like watching it but I wouldn't want my kid to do it.

I have to believe that middle- and upper-class parents are less and less likely to let their kids risk scrambling their brains and compromising their future. So the labour pool is going to come from those who feel there isn't much of a gamble anyway. And, hey, economic disparity will be creating more of those families anyway. But what happens when someone successfully sues a school over their kid becoming fucked up? The costs of operating a football program is going to become more expensive, which will further shrink the labour pool (and with it a generation used to watching football, too). That's how the sport dies.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 12:05pm

I often refer back to a comment someone made on SoSH: Football is like stripping; I like watching it but I wouldn't want my kid to do it.

I have to believe that middle- and upper-class parents are less and less likely to let their kids risk scrambling their brains and compromising their future. So the labour pool is going to come from those who feel there isn't much of a gamble anyway. And, hey, economic disparity will be creating more of those families anyway. But what happens when someone successfully sues a school over their kid becoming fucked up? The costs of operating a football program is going to become more expensive, which will further shrink the labour pool (and with it a generation used to watching football, too). That's how the sport dies.
But what will we do with the taxpayer funded stadiums?

BostonBeaneater

BostonBeaneater wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 12:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 12:05pm

But what will we do with the taxpayer funded stadiums?
Oh right, Kenny Chesney.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Perhaps I'm dumbing it down waaaaay too much, but can't they create equipment/helmet that does a better job of minimizing brain trauma? Might be worth investing a tremendous amount of money into that as it would probably be less than they are going to have to pay for how they are fucking up their players.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 12:11pm
Perhaps I'm dumbing it down waaaaay too much, but can't they create equipment/helmet that does a better job of minimizing brain trauma? Might be worth investing a tremendous amount of money into that as it would probably be less than they are going to have to pay for how they are fucking up their players.
I'm more intrigued by the counter-intuitive opposite—get rid of helmets, or return to something a lot more superficial. That'd change a lot of players' approach to the game, making them less inclined to go all out, turning themselves into missiles.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 12:04pm
WestwayKid wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 12:00pm

Basketball and baseball are better, safer, and cheaper. I don't want to bag on hockey but it's a pricey game. Soccer is melting the American spirit.
My son plays and loves baseball. If that is the only sport he truly gets into...I will be a VERY happy father!!