NFL 2018

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

NFL 2018

Post by WestwayKid »

Is there already a NFL 2018 thread? I didn't see one...but wanted a chance to crow about the Green & Gold after last night's game! Wow. Just wow. I'm 41 and growing up in Wisconsin they pretty much send you home from the hospital as a baby wearing Packer gear and I can't remember a game (and I'm sure I've killed enough brain cells over the years to forget some other great ones) quite so thrilling and fulfilling! I almost went to bed at halftime - it was late - I was tired - Aaron Rodgers was hurt and Chicago was up 17 - 0. Very glad I decided to stick with it and yeah - it took me about 2 hours to calm down enough before I could sleep!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: NFL 2018

Post by Wolter »

I’m not gonna lie: as a Chicago resident, I’m very glad I stopped giving a shit about the NFL ages ago. Last night would’ve stung.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Wolter wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 9:26am
I’m not gonna lie: as a Chicago resident, I’m very glad I stopped giving a shit about the NFL ages ago. Last night would’ve stung.
I like tuning into Chicago sports radio the morning after a bad loss. It's some pretty classic stuff. Granted, Wisconsin sports radio isn't much better when GB losses...but Chicago fans just rip the team. It's vicious. GB fans admittedly make a lot of excuses - but when the Bears lose a tough one their fans unload.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I tuned into the Pats game, but I'd almost forgotten that the season was starting yesterday. As I've said, I can't stop myself from tuning in while Brady is around, and I've come to accept I'll always have some base-level fandom for the NEP, but I'm so glad that football has been barely on my radar at all lately.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I don't watch football until baseball season is over, and even at that it's pretty casual. I'll look at a score and if a game seems interesting I'll keep it on in the background. But zero investment in how any of these schmuck teams do.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

It's nearly impossible to avoid in Wisconsin. I could go to the gas station and walk out with $100 in Packer swag if I wanted to. That said - when a team has been around long enough (100th year for Green Bay) they become part of the culture. I feel a connection to my grandfathers because they were huge Packer fans (my dad, however, doesn't like football). I feel a connection to a lot of family members - some of them very close - who have come and gone. Packer fans plan parties and weddings and funerals around Packer games. I'd go as far as to call it almost a religion for many people. I try and distance myself from it at times - simply because it gets in the way of life. I'm a single dad with 2 small kids...but I also find I can't escape it. I wasn't going to watch the game last night - I wanted to get to bed on time - but the TV kept calling me and I finally tuned in and then I got sucked in and before I knew it I was nervously pacing my living room - talking to the TV screen. When Rodgers hit Cobb for the 75-yard go ahead TD I could hear people screaming up and down my block.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

The blackballing of Kaepernick really did it for me.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

WestwayKid wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 9:36am
Wolter wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 9:26am
I like tuning into Chicago sports radio the morning after a bad loss. It's some pretty classic stuff. Granted, Wisconsin sports radio isn't much better when GB losses...but Chicago fans just rip the team. It's vicious. GB fans admittedly make a lot of excuses - but when the Bears lose a tough one their fans unload.
NO one hates Chicago sports teams as much as their own fans.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 10:05am
That was the last straw. But years of ignoring brain injuries and papering over domestic violence charges were the first steps.

BostonBeaneater

Wolter wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 10:21am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
That was the last straw. But years of ignoring brain injuries and papering over domestic violence charges were the first steps.
The 11 minutes of action over the course of a three and a half hour view exercise is pretty tough too. I think the NFL and NCAA football represent everything that is wrong with this country.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Wolter wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
All good points and if I could put the Pack away I could easily stop caring about the NFL. I really don't watch any other games.

BostonBeaneater

WestwayKid wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 10:35am
Wolter wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
All good points and if I could put the Pack away I could easily stop caring about the NFL. I really don't watch any other games.
You should be getting psyched for the Bucks! You've got one of the best young players in the league.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 10:45am
WestwayKid wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 10:35am
Wolter wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
You should be getting psyched for the Bucks! You've got one of the best young players in the league.
Not gonna lie: I wish I liked basketball, as it’s handily the least embarrassing of the major American sports.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
That was the main thing for me. It feels pretty dirty watching these guys destroy their brains little by little, even if they act like id monsters in their private lives.

The Kaep stuff is neither here nor there inasmuch as it's not really NFL-specific. Evil rich white owners are gonna evil. More so, they ended up strengthening his status by turning him into a martyr and giving him the ammo to torpedo all those bastards in his lawsuit.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater

Wolter wrote:
10 Sep 2018, 10:49am

Not gonna lie: I wish I liked basketball, as it’s handily the least embarrassing of the major American sports.
I think you've got to go see it live from good seats. Having scoped out seats for Bulls games in the past I understand that this is a bit of a wallet buster in big cities.