Ahoy, dars a Matey sighting

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: Ahoy, dars a Matey sighting

Post by BostonBeaneater »

JennyB wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 9:34am
So glad you all had a great time!

Did you hang out with the IMCT serial killer?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Rat Patrol wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 6:26am
matedog wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 1:39pm
Rat Patrol wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 12:37pm
You went to Cheers. You are officially The Most Unremarkable Tourist. X(
Yeah, I was just messin'. Other than 21st that BBE mentioned, we covered a pretty good swath of the city in a couple days. The wife and her bff wanted to relive their mid-20's (they lived there for 6 and 10 years, respectively), so we went to a good mix of places that I enjoyed or could have enjoyed more if I was like 24.

First two nights we stayed in the south end near Mass Ave and Washington. First night we went to the north end to a fine if unremarkable Italian restaurant and then a cheesy bar with giant punch bowls and DBs singing terrible karaoke. Second day, I didn't really know where we were but we started our day drinking day at Bukowski's (really dug it), went to Dillon's (meh), then Pour House (alright, went too early in the day, apparently BBE and Doc hung out here once). Made our way to Barking Crab for some cheesy margaritas and overpriced lobster rolls (we had fun, though not a place I'd name drop to try to impress a local). After, went to the Trillium beer garden with the yuppies to get my NE IPA fix. They make some awesome beer. Then uber'd to Somerville to a hipster bar. I fought a homeless guy outside of the bar and then we called it a night.

Saturday, I rented a Ford Focus which was magically upgraded to an obscene red Jeep Wrangler:
We drove out to Amherst for a wedding. I got drunk and danced a lot.

Sunday, made it back to crash at wife's boss' place which was a super nice old money place on Beacon St. We got the T to Brookline for lunch. Wife showed me more old haunts. Hustled back and had the BBE hangout, then finished out the trip with diner at Atlantic Fish Company.

That was my Boston/Western Massachusetts trip. Judge away.
I'll give you a 30% nod for Bukowski's, but I can't abide by that Hoyish rating for Dillon's. I did some of my best career work on Wednesday mornings hung over as shit after marathon Tuesday nights at Dillon's. :naughty:
Fair enough. I did get to try Bud Lite Orange there. Tasted like orange soda.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 10:04am
I would have to be paid at least $100 to try something like that. Seriously, how badly does Budweiser hate the very concept of beer? At least as much as its customers, right?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

JennyB wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 9:34am
So glad you all had a great time!

Did you hang out with the IMCT serial killer?
It was supposed to be an incognito visit since it was really for the wife, but I outed myself on social media and BBE got in touch.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 10:16am
matedog wrote:
I would have to be paid at least $100 to try something like that. Seriously, how badly does Budweiser hate the very concept of beer? At least as much as its customers, right?
It wasn't the worst thing I've ever tried. Going through my beer app ratings, the lowest ratings are ones with severe flavor flaws (phenolic/band-aid, old beers with bad oxidation/wet cardboard (Trans-2-nonenal)). The big beer guys have ridiculously clean beers, so the flavors are...not good, but not like shitshow bad. This just tasted like weird orange soda, but not as good.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 10:30am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
It wasn't the worst thing I've ever tried. Going through my beer app ratings, the lowest ratings are ones with severe flavor flaws (phenolic/band-aid, old beers with bad oxidation/wet cardboard (Trans-2-nonenal)). The big beer guys have ridiculously clean beers, so the flavors are...not good, but not like shitshow bad. This just tasted like weird orange soda, but not as good.
I can only imagine that it's as offensive as coolers—overly sugared kool-aid with alcohol. That shit is my standard for a drinking problem. If you'll readily guzzle that, it's time to look in the mirror and question your existence.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 10:37am
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
I can only imagine that it's as offensive as coolers—overly sugared kool-aid with alcohol. That shit is my standard for a drinking problem. If you'll readily guzzle that, it's time to look in the mirror and question your existence.
I put this as my bottom of the barrel. If I'm drinking this start digging me a hole.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 10:42am
I put this as my bottom of the barrel. If I'm drinking this start digging me a hole.

Oh lord, I've had that, as well as peppered whisky. The alcohol of lost bets.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
You guys tell me that all the time. Usually not (but sometimes) alcohol related.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 11:09am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
You guys tell me that all the time. Usually not (but sometimes) alcohol related.
:lol: You could make a counselor very, very wealthy …

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 10:47am
BostonBeaneater wrote:

I hate it as well but I've known it to cure the common cold.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 1:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:

I don't think substituting one misery for another qualifies as a cure.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 1:09pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:

Normally it would for a nosophobe like me, but it was a special case where it was ordered for me. I just happened to notice that I wasn't sick the next day.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

BostonBeaneater

Kory wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 2:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 1:09pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:

Normally it would for a nosophobe like me, but it was a special case where it was ordered for me. I just happened to notice that I wasn't sick the next day.
A hot toddy is a mixture of a spirit (usually whisky), hot water, and honey (or, in some recipes, sugar). In Canada, maple syrup is used. Additional ingredients such as cloves, a lemon slice or cinnamon (in stick or ground form) are often also added.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
12 Sep 2018, 3:01pm
A hot toddy is a mixture of a spirit (usually whisky), hot water, and honey (or, in some recipes, sugar). In Canada, maple syrup is used. Additional ingredients such as cloves, a lemon slice or cinnamon (in stick or ground form) are often also added.

I loves me hot buttered rum in the winter. Rum (dark, preferably), hot water, butter, brown sugar (again, darker the better), cinnamon, and variations of other spices. Too many calories to have that often, but it's sublime. It can make the most miserable winter evening Rockwellian.