Stuff people like that I think sucks...

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Stuff people like that I think sucks...

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 1:23am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 1:14pm
Did you know mayonnaise was invented in Hibbing, Minnesota?

I always thought Mayonnaise was an American word, those bloody French steal everything including fries.
The French in French fries, incidentally, has nothing to do with France "inventing" French fries. It refers to the long and narrow cutting of the potato, not frying or anything else.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 10:56am

The French in French fries, incidentally, has nothing to do with France "inventing" French fries. It refers to the long and narrow cutting of the potato, not frying or anything else.
We should call them Frite Julienne then, right?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 10:59am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It'd be the same thing, yup.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 11:31am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Frite Julienne avec mayonnaise muthafucka.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 11:57am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 11:31am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Frite Julienne avec mayonnaise muthafucka.
The Quebecois do like their fries with mayo, to demonstrate they are really really really white.

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 12:00pm

The Quebecois do like their fries with mayo, to demonstrate they are really really really white.
The thing that really gets my about the Quebecois is how beautiful the women are and how boorish, unkempt, and ugly the men are.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 12:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

The thing that really gets my about the Quebecois is how beautiful the women are and how boorish, unkempt, and ugly the men are.
That's pretty much the rule everywhere, isn't it?

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 12:09pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah but the Quebecois men all look malnourished.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 12:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Chain-smoking will do that to you. I was taken aback at how many people smoked when we moved here. I hadn't realized how much tobacco had fallen out of favour on the Prairies until I was hit by the prevalence of cigarette smoke outside.

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 12:27pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 12:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Chain-smoking will do that to you. I was taken aback at how many people smoked when we moved here. I hadn't realized how much tobacco had fallen out of favour on the Prairies until I was hit by the prevalence of cigarette smoke outside.
The first time I went to Montreal as a grown-up was in 1998 and there was an ashtray in the hotel elevator.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 1:33pm
The first time I went to Montreal as a grown-up was in 1998 and there was an ashtray in the hotel elevator.

I have a hard time conceiving of a time when smoking anywhere and everywhere—airplanes, college classrooms, movie theatres—was acceptable. One of those cultural shifts that makes past convention wholly foreign.

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 1:53pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:

I have a hard time conceiving of a time when smoking anywhere and everywhere—airplanes, college classrooms, movie theatres—was acceptable. One of those cultural shifts that makes past convention wholly foreign.
Last year I found myself at bar on the Georgia/Alabama border (long story) and they allowed smoking. It was very strange. I bummed a smoke and just basked in it.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 2:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:

Last year I found myself at bar on the Georgia/Alabama border (long story) and they allowed smoking. It was very strange. I bummed a smoke and just basked in it.
When I was in Germany last year I was surprised to see cigarette vending machines every 100m down the street!! In NZ shops can’t even have them on display they are kept in locked unmarked cabinets.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I tell my daughter that my Doctor used to actually smoke while he was treating me as a child and she doesn't believe me. My main memory as a child is of smoke being everywhere. I still occasionally smoke myself but I'm glad society has put the right measures in place to safeguard people.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 3:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I tell my daughter that my Doctor used to actually smoke while he was treating me as a child and she doesn't believe me. My main memory as a child is of smoke being everywhere. I still occasionally smoke myself but I'm glad society has put the right measures in place to safeguard people.
I remember the school staff room was just a fog.