Stuff people like that I think sucks...

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Stuff people like that I think sucks...

Post by Wolter »

WestwayKid wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 11:48am
Wolter wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 11:43am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 10:10am
Wolter wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 9:39am
JennyB wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 9:25am

We had a smoking "lounge" (it was a cordoned off area outside) at my high school in Denver.
They closed those a few years before I got to HS, but there was a utility shed that everyone smoked behind. It was an obvious unwritten rule that the teachers turned a blind eye because no one I knew ever got busted there.
Same thing at my junior high. Just outside the block of the school and in an alley facing the track and field oval, there was a garage that the smoking kids would use. It also doubled as the place for after-school fights. No idea who lived in that house but they either didn't give a shit or feared the kids who hung out there. In high school, the smokers just hung out at one of the back doors of the school (again, teachers just left them alone, mostly because they were regarded as a lost cause overall). Even tho I didn't smoke, my punk fandom granted me status to hang out with them.
Oh yeah. I didn’t smoke then, but the punks were always there.
It was always the punks, metal heads, and art students.
My Venn diagram.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

WestwayKid wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 11:32am
When I was in college - they had this large lounge on the upper floor of the union that was set aside as the "smoker's" lounge. You could sit up there and puff away for hours while you worked. I've been back several times since I graduated (which was in 2002) and the whole area has been gutted and redone and now you can't smoke anywhere near the buildings. Guess I still find it a little nuts that even in the late 90's - it was considered okay to have large scale indoor smoking at a state college campus. They even had a little convenience store in the union where you could buy a pack of smokes and whatever else you wanted.
We could smoke in our rooms in college. I had roommates who smoked freshman year because we had each said that, while we don't smoke, that we wouldn't mind a smoker for a roommate. That's how you got around it so your parents didn't suspect anything. Ha.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

JennyB wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 1:56pm
WestwayKid wrote:
When I was in college - they had this large lounge on the upper floor of the union that was set aside as the "smoker's" lounge. You could sit up there and puff away for hours while you worked. I've been back several times since I graduated (which was in 2002) and the whole area has been gutted and redone and now you can't smoke anywhere near the buildings. Guess I still find it a little nuts that even in the late 90's - it was considered okay to have large scale indoor smoking at a state college campus. They even had a little convenience store in the union where you could buy a pack of smokes and whatever else you wanted.
We could smoke in our rooms in college. I had roommates who smoked freshman year because we had each said that, while we don't smoke, that we wouldn't mind a smoker for a roommate. That's how you got around it so your parents didn't suspect anything. Ha.
My dad taught as an adjuct at my college, so I often flicked lit cigarettes behind my back when I saw him coming.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Diabolical!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JennyB wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Did you go to college before you were 18?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kory wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 2:39pm
JennyB wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
I sent in all of the forms before I turned 18, yes (perks of an August birthday). Even after turning 18, I still wouldn't smoke in front of my parents, even though they knew I smoked and my mom told me she didn't mind because it kept my weight down. I always had an issue with that particular kind of "rebellion" against my parents. They were always pretty relaxed rules wise, too. No curfew (if I was going to be really late, just call and let them know) and if I drank too much and needed help, I wouldn't get in trouble as long as I didn't drive. That sort of thing. But smoking always seemed to cross the line for me.
Got a Rake? Sure!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

JennyB wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 2:55pm
Kory wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 2:39pm
JennyB wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
I sent in all of the forms before I turned 18, yes (perks of an August birthday). Even after turning 18, I still wouldn't smoke in front of my parents, even though they knew I smoked and my mom told me she didn't mind because it kept my weight down. I always had an issue with that particular kind of "rebellion" against my parents. They were always pretty relaxed rules wise, too. No curfew (if I was going to be really late, just call and let them know) and if I drank too much and needed help, I wouldn't get in trouble as long as I didn't drive. That sort of thing. But smoking always seemed to cross the line for me.
My dad would tell me not to smoke while smoking.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
A friend of mine in junior high had even more permissive parents than that. They let his older sister—she would have been around 17, I guess—have boyfriends sleep over and they could share her bed … as long as they were fully clothed all night. There's trusting and respect and then there's naive that that was actually followed thru once the folks had fallen asleep.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

I remember flying on Eastern Airlines in the early-to-mid 80's in the smoking section because it was hands-down the dirt cheapest tix on the whole plane for an uncultured family of five to travel. And kicking the seat in front of me hard enough for the old man sitting there to spill his hot pipe ash all over the floor of the cabin at 35,000 ft.

Last month TSA in Oakland confiscated the freezy-cold pak from my lunch bag as a prohibited explosive hazard. :meh:

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I remember smoking all the way from London to Sydney back in early 90’s.
Interesting fact though, when smoking was allowed on planes the air was more hygienic as air con was cranked up which sucked out all the cold, flu, plague and other horrible illness floating about.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 5:30pm
JennyB wrote:
A friend of mine in junior high had even more permissive parents than that. They let his older sister—she would have been around 17, I guess—have boyfriends sleep over and they could share her bed … as long as they were fully clothed all night. There's trusting and respect and then there's naive that that was actually followed thru once the folks had fallen asleep.
Yeah - that would have been a bit much for my parents. They weren't trying to be "cool parents." I was basically a pretty good kid and they trusted me. I also think it stemmed a little bit from the guilt of moving me around so much.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://mentalfloss.com/article/557576/ ... -to-stores

Congrats, Beaneater, your malignancy spread.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 4:21pm

Ketchup kind of sucks on most things. I do like it on sweet potato fries. This is just laziness.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 4:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Ketchup kind of sucks on most things. I do like it on sweet potato fries. This is just laziness.
That is Thousand Island dressing!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

101Walterton wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 5:22pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 4:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

That is Thousand Island dressing!
Minus even the relish.

It reminds me of Mr. Show’s “Mayostard.”