Let's talk about the flu

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Let's talk about the flu

Post by Heston »

Haven't had proper flu for years. Had some heavy colds but not fully blown influenza which can be absolutely horrendous.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Had a serious case of pneumonia once, fever, coughing up blood full body aches. It was hell.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 8:09pm
Had a serious case of pneumonia once, fever, coughing up blood full body aches. It was hell.
I've had pneumonia once, five or six years ago. No coughing up blood, but it was fucking devastating. the Boss was out of town for much of it, so I didn't go to the hospital, but once she was back we went and the antibiotics cleared it up within 24 hours. However, the antibiotics killed, like, everything in me and it took a long time to recover the good bacteria in my system. That remains my gold standard of illness.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 10:02pm
revbob wrote:
I've had pneumonia once, five or six years ago. No coughing up blood, but it was fucking devastating. the Boss was out of town for much of it, so I didn't go to the hospital, but once she was back we went and the antibiotics cleared it up within 24 hours. However, the antibiotics killed, like, everything in me and it took a long time to recover the good bacteria in my system. That remains my gold standard of illness.
Mine dis respond to the anti biotic in that it led to the fever coming down but it was probably a good month before I was fully done with it. I couldn't take a deep breath without a coughing fit. I didnt have the lung capacity and would tire pretty quickly. To make it worse our daughter was around 9 months old and had started walking and was very upset that I stopped picking her up/holding her etc. After that episode I could see how it kills people.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 10:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Mine dis respond to the anti biotic in that it led to the fever coming down but it was probably a good month before I was fully done with it. I couldn't take a deep breath without a coughing fit. I didnt have the lung capacity and would tire pretty quickly. To make it worse our daughter was around 9 months old and had started walking and was very upset that I stopped picking her up/holding her etc. After that episode I could see how it kills people.
Definitely. I know that my case wasn't severe (or maybe the doctor I saw didn't care whether I lived or not; meh, it happens) but, holy crap, if I had been given the option of checking out for good, I would have given it some thought.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 10:42pm
revbob wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 10:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Definitely. I know that my case wasn't severe (or maybe the doctor I saw didn't care whether I lived or not; meh, it happens) but, holy crap, if I had been given the option of checking out for good, I would have given it some thought.
I felt that way when I had a bad case of bronchitis along with a raging sinus infection. It was the sickest I ever got, and I wished for death.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 9:19am
I felt that way when I had a bad case of bronchitis along with a raging sinus infection. It was the sickest I ever got, and I wished for death.
There's something weirdly comforting to know that if I do become terminal with some horrible disease, yeah, psychologically, I won't go out terrified but will welcome the relief.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Ok so I may have just changed my view after watching the news tonight about the Northern Hemisphere epidemic.
Doctors want a nationwide vaccine programme as the virus can spread and mutate from people (like me) who can be carriers without having the virus.
So in theory I could pass the virus to someone who may not have the immune system to cope.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

101Walterton wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 1:21am
Ok so I may have just changed my view after watching the news tonight about the Northern Hemisphere epidemic.
Doctors want a nationwide vaccine programme as the virus can spread and mutate from people (like me) who can be carriers without having the virus.
So in theory I could pass the virus to someone who may not have the immune system to cope.
I'm not a doctor, but isn't that the way with most things?

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Mimi wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 10:15am
101Walterton wrote:
I didn’t realise you could carry flu without having it. The main issue is that if everyone was vaccinated it would at least stop the virus mutating at the rate it is.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 2:10pm
Mimi wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
I didn’t realise you could carry flu without having it. The main issue is that if everyone was vaccinated it would at least stop the virus mutating at the rate it is.
I believe in the end all our immune systems will be fucked.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 6:55pm
101Walterton wrote:
Mimi wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
We'll be living on the Planet Jendell by then.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 6:59pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Mimi wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
I think you will for sure. I will be living in a galaxy far far away....

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 7:10pm
Heston wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 6:59pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Mimi wrote:

I think you will for sure. I will be living in a galaxy far far away....
:approve:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I think I have it, this sucks.