Moving to England?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Moving to England?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 9:08am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 8:53am
revbob wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 8:44am
KC also get a fair amount of good shows probably similar to Seattle. I see MDC, the Legendary Shack Shakers, Dead Boys and Styx in the coming months.
:hmm:
Its a triple bill with Damn Yankees and Chickenfoot. I wanted to see if I could slip that one by...
Ah, part of the Hate Music, Hate Yourself tour.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kory wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 5:52pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 11:37pm
Kory wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 1:41pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
06 Jan 2018, 10:01pm
Question for Kory: have you and the missus considered the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota)? It's regularly regarded as having one of the highest standards of living in the US, and has a tremendous music and arts scene.
No, it hasn't come up yet. The determining factor in any of these cities is the reputation of the ballet there, particularly the criteria trio of decent artistic director, good repertoire, and reputation for fair contracts. If it's not on the list, it's probably lacking in one of those, but it may be that she doesn't know anyone that's worked for Twin Cities Ballet, and doesn't have any info. I'll ask her about it, thanks!
We do have the Andahazy Ballet company, whose founders studied with the Russian Bolshoi Theatre. My late sister Anne studied with Andahazy before getting into acting, and apparently they're greatly respected universally.
http://andahazyballet.com/

Is your wife a dancer or a teacher? I don't know much about dance/ballet, but for some reason I've known quite a few classically trained dancers in my time (I have a sister in law who teaches some form of dance in Madison, WI, which is another locale with a great arts reputation).
Whoa, I just noticed I missed this, sorry! My wife is a dancer, so the move would ideally only be for about 5–6 years while she wraps up her career. Dancers retire around 36–38 on average, but since she had her hip surgery, she's estimating on the shorter side.

It's looking more and more like Kansas City is going to be the destination, at least for two years, and then hopefully Portland. Jenny, I have nightmares about living in KC, and especially Missouri. I know you mentioned a little about it before, but can you put my mind at ease a little, or is it just going to be hard for me no matter what?
Honestly, it won't be that bad! Kansas City is a lot more "western" than St. Louis. The BBQ is to die for. They get better bands playing there. You are about 25 miles from Lawrence, KS, which is kind of a mini Austin. And Columbia, MO also attracts decent concerts because that's where Mizzou is located. I saw Joe Strummer in Columbia, MO! We could meet up for concerts! It's not scenic like Seattle, but the cost of living will be great! I'm trying my best here!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Plus Kory could trade stories of love for Michael Anthony with Van Hagar. Not like their wives are being supportive there!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 9:44am
Plus Kory could trade stories of love for Michael Anthony with Van Hagar. Not like their wives are being supportive there!
I feel sorry for him. He's supposed to be a really nice man and he was shit on by those awful Van Halen brothers.

being married to my husband has made me soft.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 10:02am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I feel sorry for him. He's supposed to be a really nice man and he was shit on by those awful Van Halen brothers.

Driven to Chickenfootery. :disshame:

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 10:28am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It's almost making me want to go vegan.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 10:34am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 10:28am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It's almost making me want to go vegan.
Jesus Christ, Kory, look what you're doing!

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

JINJER wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 10:07pm
This is quite a handy thing to use when comparing. Don't know how accurate the figures are for Kansas City but the Leeds figures are pretty accurate.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/c ... rrency=GBP
Wow, that's very useful. Thanks for the tip!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Inder wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 10:44am
JINJER wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 10:07pm
This is quite a handy thing to use when comparing. Don't know how accurate the figures are for Kansas City but the Leeds figures are pretty accurate.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/c ... rrency=GBP
Wow, that's very useful. Thanks for the tip!
Wow, yeah, that is really cool. Thank you!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JennyB wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 9:14am
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
06 Jan 2018, 10:01pm
Question for Kory: have you and the missus considered the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota)? It's regularly regarded as having one of the highest standards of living in the US, and has a tremendous music and arts scene.
No, it hasn't come up yet. The determining factor in any of these cities is the reputation of the ballet there, particularly the criteria trio of decent artistic director, good repertoire, and reputation for fair contracts. If it's not on the list, it's probably lacking in one of those, but it may be that she doesn't know anyone that's worked for Twin Cities Ballet, and doesn't have any info. I'll ask her about it, thanks!
We do have the Andahazy Ballet company, whose founders studied with the Russian Bolshoi Theatre. My late sister Anne studied with Andahazy before getting into acting, and apparently they're greatly respected universally.

Is your wife a dancer or a teacher? I don't know much about dance/ballet, but for some reason I've known quite a few classically trained dancers in my time (I have a sister in law who teaches some form of dance in Madison, WI, which is another locale with a great arts reputation).
Whoa, I just noticed I missed this, sorry! My wife is a dancer, so the move would ideally only be for about 5–6 years while she wraps up her career. Dancers retire around 36–38 on average, but since she had her hip surgery, she's estimating on the shorter side.

It's looking more and more like Kansas City is going to be the destination, at least for two years, and then hopefully Portland. Jenny, I have nightmares about living in KC, and especially Missouri. I know you mentioned a little about it before, but can you put my mind at ease a little, or is it just going to be hard for me no matter what?
Honestly, it won't be that bad! Kansas City is a lot more "western" than St. Louis. The BBQ is to die for. They get better bands playing there. You are about 25 miles from Lawrence, KS, which is kind of a mini Austin. And Columbia, MO also attracts decent concerts because that's where Mizzou is located. I saw Joe Strummer in Columbia, MO! We could meet up for concerts! It's not scenic like Seattle, but the cost of living will be great! I'm trying my best here!
I guess that sounds ok. I'm still hoping she changes her mind over the coming year or something else happens. I'm not looking forward to giving up my excellent job and this band that I just started, the first I've ever been in that is playing music I'm actually into. What a nightmare.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kory wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 1:35pm
JennyB wrote:
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:

I guess that sounds ok. I'm still hoping she changes her mind over the coming year or something else happens. I'm not looking forward to giving up my excellent job and this band that I just started, the first I've ever been in that is playing music I'm actually into. What a nightmare.
And maybe the Seattle artistic director will get canned or die of bubonic plague by then!
Got a Rake? Sure!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JennyB wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 4:42pm
Kory wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 1:35pm
JennyB wrote:
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

And maybe the Seattle artistic director will get canned or die of bubonic plague by then!
that would be a literal miracle