Moving to England?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Moving to England?

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 2:45am
Heston wrote:
04 Jan 2018, 3:15pm
eumaas wrote:
04 Jan 2018, 2:38pm
Just have Heston hide you in his attic.
I've been trying to think of some advice to offer but the only thing I can think of is don't do it. Anyway, Kory would have the language barrier problem if he moved in around here.
Is it because of the stuff Inder said, mainly?

Also, I think I'd be fine with the language, I watch plenty of BBC. I can tell people to leave it out.
No, I meant the Geordie accent if you were to hide in my attic.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Kory wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 2:46am
JennyB wrote:
04 Jan 2018, 2:58pm
What other countries is she looking at?
Canada and Australia, plus a clutch of US cities (some very desirable, some hellish). I was actually going to ask you if you know much about Kansas City, actually.
Just do it. Don’t let everyone talk you out of anything it’s an adventure you will have a ball. What’s the worst that can happen? You go home again!!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kory wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Canada and Australia, plus a clutch of US cities (some very desirable, some hellish). I was actually going to ask you if you know much about Kansas City, actually.
Kansas City is actually better than you would think it would be. I like it a lot. It's got a much more western US mentality than midwestern. Great BBQ, friendly people. Not nearly the amount of racism issues of STL. City itself is very blue, suburbs not as much. Avoid the Kansas side and you will be fine!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

101Walterton wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 6:03am
Kory wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Just do it. Don’t let everyone talk you out of anything it’s an adventure you will have a ball. What’s the worst that can happen? You go home again!!
I like the idea of the adventure, but again, I'm not too interested in being basically as poor as I was in my 20s (if my research is accurate).
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JennyB wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 11:23am
Kory wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Kansas City is actually better than you would think it would be. I like it a lot. It's got a much more western US mentality than midwestern. Great BBQ, friendly people. Not nearly the amount of racism issues of STL. City itself is very blue, suburbs not as much. Avoid the Kansas side and you will be fine!
That and Chicago are on the list, which I think I could deal with, but also up for consideration are Phoenix, Memphis, DC, and Miami (yuck). I'm really really pulling for Portland or LA because then I can just stay with my awesome job and just visit every weekend instead of moving.

Other cities on the list: Calgary (no thanks), Winnipeg (Doc says this is alright), Toronto (I'd say yes except for the average salaries vs. cost of living), and then in Australia, Brisbane and Melbourne (seemingly same cost issues, but adventure galore).

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kory wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 1:38pm
JennyB wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 11:23am
Kory wrote:
JennyB wrote:
That and Chicago are on the list, which I think I could deal with, but also up for consideration are Phoenix, Memphis, DC, and Miami (yuck). I'm really really pulling for Portland or LA because then I can just stay with my awesome job and just visit every weekend instead of moving.

Other cities on the list: Calgary (no thanks), Winnipeg (Doc says this is alright), Toronto (I'd say yes except for the average salaries vs. cost of living), and then in Australia, Brisbane and Melbourne (seemingly same cost issues, but adventure galore).
Memphis is actually a great city as well. Keeping fingers crossed!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Kory wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 1:32pm
101Walterton wrote:
Kory wrote:
JennyB wrote:
I like the idea of the adventure, but again, I'm not too interested in being basically as poor as I was in my 20s (if my research is accurate).
Go overseas mate you won’t regret it.
Cash poor adventure rich 😊

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

101Walterton wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 5:01pm
Kory wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Kory wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Adventure ain't much fun if I can't really afford to do anything.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Kory wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 5:10pm
101Walterton wrote:
Kory wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Kory wrote:

I doubt the difference is anywhere near as bad as the picture painted.
Friends of mine have just gone from NZ to US. Both 50 youngest kid gone to Uni this year and had the opportunity so thought fuck it why not. Only 1 has a job and she took pay cut.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

101Walterton wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 5:46pm
Kory wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Kory wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Friends of mine have just gone from NZ to US. Both 50 youngest kid gone to Uni this year and had the opportunity so thought fuck it why not. Only 1 has a job and she took pay cut.
Yeah, the stats online are kind of misleading, so I'm polling everyone I know that already lives abroad to get a more accurate picture.

So she took a pay cut GOING to the US? Interesting.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Kory wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 5:55pm
101Walterton wrote:
Kory wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Kory wrote:

Yeah, the stats online are kind of misleading, so I'm polling everyone I know that already lives abroad to get a more accurate picture.

Yep very much so. Plus in US you get less holiday and you are expected to work a lot harder 😊 US corporates are far more ruthless.
Mrs W works for a US corporate so have some insight.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

101Walterton wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 6:02pm
Kory wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 5:55pm
101Walterton wrote:
Kory wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

Yep very much so. Plus in US you get less holiday and you are expected to work a lot harder 😊 US corporates are far more ruthless.
Mrs W works for a US corporate so have some insight.
I work at a large nonprofit that has excellent perks, so it kind of skews my employment desires.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

FWIW, I've had several friends and more acquaintances move to the UK for an adventure and beat a retreat less than a year in. I get Wally's spirit, but I don't think you can overstate how inhospitable it's become to people who don't hold a UK passport, rules and regulations-wise -- much, much harsher than the US or Canada or most Euro countries. The Brexit stuff exacerbates the situation and uncertainty.

As for London, a solid chunk of my friends are looking to move out of the city within the next five years (if they haven't already), simply because they can't afford it.

Starting anew in a new country can be exciting and everything, but better to do it somewhere else is my Considered Opinion. Now, take Toronto, for instance...

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Inder wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 8:31pm
FWIW, I've had several friends and more acquaintances move to the UK for an adventure and beat a retreat less than a year in. I get Wally's spirit, but I don't think you can overstate how inhospitable it's become to people who don't hold a UK passport, rules and regulations-wise -- much, much harsher than the US or Canada or most Euro countries. The Brexit stuff exacerbates the situation and uncertainty.

As for London, a solid chunk of my friends are looking to move out of the city within the next five years (if they haven't already), simply because they can't afford it.

Starting anew in a new country can be exciting and everything, but better to do it somewhere else is my Considered Opinion. Now, take Toronto, for instance...
I also appreciate the traveling spirit, but I'm just not that romantic, I'm afraid. I'm more interested in being able to retire someday and not dying on the job.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Well we all know Earth’s best kept secret.

Actually we don’t thankfully or every fucker would be here.