Moving to England?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Moving to England?

Post by Kory »

There's a possibility I could be moving to London, Birmingham or Leeds in about a year and a half, and I was wondering if any of the UK contingent could give me any insight into living/working in England. Cost of living (2 bedrooms), general attitudes toward the worker, etc. I'm prepared for a culture shock, but cursory research of average salaries in my field suggests I'd be taking a 30%–50% pay cut to live there, which was a much bigger shock. Any info you guys might have would be very helpful. Thanks!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Moving to England?

Post by Silent Majority »

Kory wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 6:47pm
There's a possibility I could be moving to London, Birmingham or Leeds in about a year and a half, and I was wondering if any of the UK contingent could give me any insight into living/working in England. Cost of living (2 bedrooms), general attitudes toward the worker, etc. I'm prepared for a culture shock, but cursory research of average salaries in my field suggests I'd be taking a 30%–50% pay cut to live there, which was a much bigger shock. Any info you guys might have would be very helpful. Thanks!
No honest person can afford to live in London. In Birmingham, I'm renting a two bedroom house with a garden for less than £600. I don't know about Leeds, but think it costs less than here. Workers have more rights and are treated better than the US but that's not saying much. Probably going to have a good deal of our rights wrecked for capital in Brexit. Free healthcare.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 6:53pm
Kory wrote:
No honest person can afford to live in London. In Birmingham, I'm renting a two bedroom house with a garden for less than £600. I don't know about Leeds, but think it costs less than here. Workers have more rights and are treated better than the US but that's not saying much. Probably going to have a good deal of our rights wrecked for capital in Brexit. Free healthcare.
I have a friend who lives in Camberwell with two roommates. I think he's a temp, but I don't know him well enough to gauge his honesty. How's the nightlife/culture in Birmingham? Is there stuff to do? Comic shops, record shops, music venues, etc?

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Kory wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 7:01pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Kory wrote:
I have a friend who lives in Camberwell with two roommates. I think he's a temp, but I don't know him well enough to gauge his honesty. How's the nightlife/culture in Birmingham? Is there stuff to do? Comic shops, record shops, music venues, etc?
Yeah, its got what you need. Forbidden Planet, Geek Retreat. An old fashioned record shop next to a mod haircut place. Lots of good bands come by. Restaurants are good. I prefer it to London.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

home values have plummeted since "undesirables" have moved in too, so you could take advantage of that.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 7:08pm
Kory wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Kory wrote:
Yeah, its got what you need. Forbidden Planet, Geek Retreat. An old fashioned record shop next to a mod haircut place. Lots of good bands come by. Restaurants are good. I prefer it to London.
Great, thanks! And your rent sounds very nice. Do you have any sense of average salaries around? By which I mean, are lots of people doing poorly, or is it reasonably easy to get into the middle class, etc?
Last edited by Kory on 03 Jan 2018, 7:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 7:09pm
home values have plummeted since "undesirables" have moved in too, so you could take advantage of that.
Maybe. The idea is to move back to the PNW when we're done, but maybe I'll catch the UK bug.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 7:14pm
Maybe. The idea is to move back to the PNW when we're done, but maybe I'll catch the UK bug.
i just wanted to suggest that maj is lowering the value of neighboring property.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Kory wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 7:13pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Kory wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Kory wrote:
Great, thanks! And your rent sounds very nice. Do you have any sense of average salaries around?
You're a graphic designer aren't you? Probably over £20,000, maybe as much 27?

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 7:15pm
Kory wrote:
i just wanted to suggest that maj is lowering the value of neighboring property.
Oh NOW I get it

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Flex wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 7:15pm
Kory wrote:
Yes, and my wild shebeens will continue until I can afford to buy.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

"Get into the middle class"? This is England, you die in the class you're born into. You can make a respectable white collar wage though.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 7:17pm
Kory wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 7:13pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Kory wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Great, thanks! And your rent sounds very nice. Do you have any sense of average salaries around?
You're a graphic designer aren't you? Probably over £20,000, maybe as much 27?
And is that considered pretty good there? I mean that's a SUPER tiny amount of dough in the states when you take into account rents, expenses, and everything.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 7:19pm
"Get into the middle class"? This is England, you die in the class you're born into. You can make a respectable white collar wage though.
Well right, but I wasn't born in England.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Great...his pizza tastes are going to be fully "Hestonized". :scared: