Moving to England?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Moving to England?

Post by Kory »

muppet hi fi wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 11:37pm
Kory wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 1:41pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
06 Jan 2018, 10:01pm
Question for Kory: have you and the missus considered the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota)? It's regularly regarded as having one of the highest standards of living in the US, and has a tremendous music and arts scene.
No, it hasn't come up yet. The determining factor in any of these cities is the reputation of the ballet there, particularly the criteria trio of decent artistic director, good repertoire, and reputation for fair contracts. If it's not on the list, it's probably lacking in one of those, but it may be that she doesn't know anyone that's worked for Twin Cities Ballet, and doesn't have any info. I'll ask her about it, thanks!
We do have the Andahazy Ballet company, whose founders studied with the Russian Bolshoi Theatre. My late sister Anne studied with Andahazy before getting into acting, and apparently they're greatly respected universally.
http://andahazyballet.com/

Is your wife a dancer or a teacher? I don't know much about dance/ballet, but for some reason I've known quite a few classically trained dancers in my time (I have a sister in law who teaches some form of dance in Madison, WI, which is another locale with a great arts reputation).
Whoa, I just noticed I missed this, sorry! My wife is a dancer, so the move would ideally only be for about 5–6 years while she wraps up her career. Dancers retire around 36–38 on average, but since she had her hip surgery, she's estimating on the shorter side.

It's looking more and more like Kansas City is going to be the destination, at least for two years, and then hopefully Portland. Jenny, I have nightmares about living in KC, and especially Missouri. I know you mentioned a little about it before, but can you put my mind at ease a little, or is it just going to be hard for me no matter what?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Kory wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 5:52pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Question for Kory: have you and the missus considered the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota)? It's regularly regarded as having one of the highest standards of living in the US, and has a tremendous music and arts scene.
No, it hasn't come up yet. The determining factor in any of these cities is the reputation of the ballet there, particularly the criteria trio of decent artistic director, good repertoire, and reputation for fair contracts. If it's not on the list, it's probably lacking in one of those, but it may be that she doesn't know anyone that's worked for Twin Cities Ballet, and doesn't have any info. I'll ask her about it, thanks!
We do have the Andahazy Ballet company, whose founders studied with the Russian Bolshoi Theatre. My late sister Anne studied with Andahazy before getting into acting, and apparently they're greatly respected universally.

Is your wife a dancer or a teacher? I don't know much about dance/ballet, but for some reason I've known quite a few classically trained dancers in my time (I have a sister in law who teaches some form of dance in Madison, WI, which is another locale with a great arts reputation).
Whoa, I just noticed I missed this, sorry! My wife is a dancer, so the move would ideally only be for about 5–6 years while she wraps up her career. Dancers retire around 36–38 on average, but since she had her hip surgery, she's estimating on the shorter side.

It's looking more and more like Kansas City is going to be the destination, at least for two years, and then hopefully Portland. Jenny, I have nightmares about living in KC, and especially Missouri. I know you mentioned a little about it before, but can you put my mind at ease a little, or is it just going to be hard for me no matter what?
Before Jenny does a complete 180 or even 360 with an impassioned defense of Moranjortsville's art scene, lemme ask - what's up with KC? Something groovy going down us damn yankees aren't hip to yet? ;)

And good for your wife retiring from classical ballet early. As I've been told many a time (sometimes in near nauseating detail), it's a pretty brutal discipline, art form, and, honestly, sport.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

muppet hi fi wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 6:05pm
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Before Jenny does a complete 180 or even 360 with an impassioned defense of Moranjortsville's art scene, lemme ask - what's up with KC? Something groovy going down us damn yankees aren't hip to yet? ;)

And good for your wife retiring from classical ballet early. As I've been told many a time (sometimes in near nauseating detail), it's a pretty brutal discipline, art form, and, honestly, sport.
Nothing special about KC, she just really hit it off with the art director there and she's twitchy about art directors since the one here is the reason we have to move. I guess he just told her all the things she wanted to hear so she's all crazy about that company now, much to my nuclear chagrin.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Kory wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 7:16pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:

Nothing special about KC, she just really hit it off with the art director there and she's twitchy about art directors since the one here is the reason we have to move. I guess he just told her all the things she wanted to hear so she's all crazy about that company now, much to my nuclear chagrin.
Aah, dude. Is it too late to ask her to check out the positives in Minneapolis/St. Paul or Madison? You guys probably already have, but those towns would probably be a, ahem, less jarring cultural morph.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

muppet hi fi wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 8:10pm
Kory wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 7:16pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Aah, dude. Is it too late to ask her to check out the positives in Minneapolis/St. Paul or Madison? You guys probably already have, but those towns would probably be a, ahem, less jarring cultural morph.
Not too late, she's going to stay in Seattle for another year, so she'll have that whole time to look at other possibilities. I think she now feels iffy about burning the KC bridge though since she was so enthusiastic at the time.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Ive been to the KC area a bit for work. There's some cool parts of KC, Mo. Specifically the Westport neighborhood. Good places to eat/drink and a very walkable area.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 9:02pm
Ive been to the KC area a bit for work. There's some cool parts of KC, Mo. Specifically the Westport neighborhood. Good places to eat/drink and a very walkable area.
A historian friend of mine has done research at some archives there (Truman's?) and just raves about the food.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 9:06pm
revbob wrote:
A historian friend of mine has done research at some archives there (Truman's?) and just raves about the food.
He probably ate at different places than I did. I stand by my comment about good places to eat but didnt find anything rave worthy. The thing is if Im travelling for work and its been a long day I dont get too adventurous especially when im alone. I just want a good reasonably priced meat based dinner that serves good beer amd leaves me enough money to get more good beer. Pints of quality beer were the cheapest Ive seen anywhere. If youre a baseball fan and you're out there you must go to the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum. Its not in Westport but a short drive away.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 9:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
He probably ate at different places than I did. I stand by my comment about good places to eat but didnt find anything rave worthy. The thing is if Im travelling for work and its been a long day I dont get too adventurous especially when im alone. I just want a good reasonably priced meat based dinner that serves good beer amd leaves me enough money to get more good beer. Pints of quality beer were the cheapest Ive seen anywhere. If youre a baseball fan and you're out there you must go to the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum. Its not in Westport but a short drive away.
My recollection is that he loved the barbecue places.

The NLBM is the only reason I'd want to go to KC. The regular baseball HoF was disappointing to me, but I've heard that the NLBM is vastly superior. I guess I'd stop in and see Kory and Mrs. Kory, too.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Come to the Twin Cities.

You can have our spare bedroom.

We have good pizza restaurants now.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 9:31pm
revbob wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 9:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
My recollection is that he loved the barbecue places.

The NLBM is the only reason I'd want to go to KC. The regular baseball HoF was disappointing to me, but I've heard that the NLBM is vastly superior. I guess I'd stop in and see Kory and Mrs. Kory, too.
Yeah the bbq was good, Wolter would mostly hate it I think.

JINJER
Corner Soul

Post by JINJER »

This is quite a handy thing to use when comparing. Don't know how accurate the figures are for Kansas City but the Leeds figures are pretty accurate.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/c ... rrency=GBP

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

KC also get a fair amount of good shows probably similar to Seattle. I see MDC, the Legendary Shack Shakers, Dead Boys and Styx in the coming months.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 8:44am
KC also get a fair amount of good shows probably similar to Seattle. I see MDC, the Legendary Shack Shakers, Dead Boys and Styx in the coming months.
:hmm:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 8:53am
revbob wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 8:44am
:hmm:
Its a triple bill with Damn Yankees and Chickenfoot. I wanted to see if I could slip that one by...