MLB 2018

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Boddington
Junco Partner

Re: MLB 2018

Post by Boddington »

revbob wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 5:13pm
I find it interesting that seemingly nobody is mentioning that the Sox have the highest payroll. Yeah I just mentioned it but Im a nobody.
I mean your point is...?

Yes, highest payroll. Yes, a large chunk of that is dead money - Panda, Hanley (not counting Rusney, for example, who isn't even on the 40-man for a good reason!). No one whined when the Dodgers had the historically highest payroll in the game. It's the nature of the game. The Sox made some not so great signings that have come back to bite us in the ass that have been counterbalanced by an amazing farm system graduating to the bigs. A lot of money is coming off the books to hopefully extend Sale and then extend Mookie. I think we let Bogie walk.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

My point being that when it was the Yankees who had the highest payroll I heard that shit all the time. Not just from Sox fans but it was brought up a lot in the media too.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Boddington wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 5:36pm
revbob wrote:
I find it interesting that seemingly nobody is mentioning that the Sox have the highest payroll. Yeah I just mentioned it but Im a nobody.
I mean your point is...?

Yes, highest payroll. Yes, a large chunk of that is dead money - Panda, Hanley (not counting Rusney, for example, who isn't even on the 40-man for a good reason!). No one whined when the Dodgers had the historically highest payroll in the game. It's the nature of the game. The Sox made some not so great signings that have come back to bite us in the ass that have been counterbalanced by an amazing farm system graduating to the bigs. A lot of money is coming off the books to hopefully extend Sale and then extend Mookie. I think we let Bogie walk.
I agree with all this. The high payroll is applied to enduring mistakes, not fielding a bunch of stud FA's. Price is the only superstar salary guy on the roster right now; pretty much everyone else is relatively cheap. My fantasy is the Sox winning the WS, Price is the MVP, and he opts out, freeing his money for extending the young guys and Sale.

edit:
revbob wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 5:49pm
My point being that when it was the Yankees who had the highest payroll I heard that shit all the time. Not just from Sox fans but it was brought up a lot in the media too.
You're not wrong, but I see some distinction in that those Yankees teams played those high-priced FA's. This Sox team, in spite of the payroll, is mostly younger, more affordable guys. Whether you see that as a meaningful distinction is personal preference.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I guess I no longer know what a lot of money is. Isn't the whole intended starting rotation high priced FAs?

And not playing Ramirez? So?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 6:37pm
I guess I no longer know what a lot of money is. Isn't the whole intended starting rotation high priced FAs?

Sale, Rodriguez, and Porcello were via trades. Fifth guy, whoever it might be, is either by trade or FA.

My point is that you can't look at the on-field team and find high-priced guys all over the place. It's not like the starting eight are all making $20M each. The actual playing team is moderately priced. The high payroll has a lot of sunk and discarded cost. It doesn't ignore the huge payroll, but it does make the distinction from a team that bought its high-priced starting line-up.

edit: Looking up the numbers, I totally blanked on how much J.D. Martinez is making and was stunned to learn Porcello is making $21M (Jesus fuck that). But there's some $40M to Hanley and Panda to not play for the Sox. Take away that and they're down under $200M (a lot, definitely, but not so crazy compared to other big spenders). And subtracting Kimbrel and Mookie, no one is making more than 8.5M. So, again, yeah, high payroll, but it's not that they're paying a nutso amount at most every position.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 6:57pm
revbob wrote:

Sale, Rodriguez, and Porcello were via trades. Fifth guy, whoever it might be, is either by trade or FA.

My point is that you can't look at the on-field team and find high-priced guys all over the place. It's not like the starting eight are all making $20M each. The actual playing team is moderately priced. The high payroll has a lot of sunk and discarded cost. It doesn't ignore the huge payroll, but it does make the distinction from a team that bought its high-priced starting line-up.
Its not really anything I feel passionate about. I know that while payroll will make a difference it doesn't mean nearly as much as some people think. Also a good chunk of the Yankees starting lineup in those days was home grown and they too made some excellent trades (David Cone, Paul ONeil, Tino Martinez ). Many of the big FA signings were essentially flops

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 7:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 6:57pm
revbob wrote:

Its not really anything I feel passionate about. I know that while payroll will make a difference it doesn't mean nearly as much as some people think. Also a good chunk of the Yankees starting lineup in those days was home grown and they too made some excellent trades (David Cone, Paul ONeil, Tino Martinez ). Many of the big FA signings were essentially flops
Right. The great late 90s teams were mostly homegrown with some solid and sensible FA additions. It was in the 2000s when the Yankees got tarred for the high-priced FA-heavy line-ups that, in fact, didn't result in any championships (until the 2009 squad that had new guys CC and Tex). The Red Sox are doing what the Yankees have done, which is burying lousy signs and still fielding competitive teams. Low payroll teams don't have that margin of error. It's less buying a championship than lowering the damage when taking chances that don't work out.

Boddington
Junco Partner

Post by Boddington »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 5:51pm
Boddington wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 5:36pm
revbob wrote:
I mean your point is...?

I agree with all this. The high payroll is applied to enduring mistakes, not fielding a bunch of stud FA's. Price is the only superstar salary guy on the roster right now; pretty much everyone else is relatively cheap. My fantasy is the Sox winning the WS, Price is the MVP, and he opts out, freeing his money for extending the young guys and Sale.
Price opting out is a fantasy we all have to get over. It isn't going to happen. We're going to be paying his ass $30M for the next 4 years? Fuck DD for that deal. I didn't like it from day one, and I continue to hate it.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

If the Jays weren't dying, I'd relish the YvRS "IT SEEMS YOU'RE SPENDING A LOT OF MONEY" grumbling with a great deal more enthusiasm.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
12 Aug 2018, 1:51am
If the Jays weren't dying, I'd relish the YvRS "IT SEEMS YOU'RE SPENDING A LOT OF MONEY" grumbling with a great deal more enthusiasm.
You should make a greater effort to enjoy this. We are, in fact, acting like the turds Jays fans know us to be.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

On a happier note, I took the RASMUS shirt out for a spin yesterday and everyone loved it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
12 Aug 2018, 11:36am
On a happier note, I took the RASMUS shirt out for a spin yesterday and everyone loved it.
If you weren't strutting like your avatar, you had to have been in a heroin stupour.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Aug 2018, 12:38pm
File Under: Macaroni, Holy: https://deadspin.com/ramon-laureano-thr ... 1828286013
Home runs and long dirty at bats are great. I love a great catch and a knee buckling strike out too. What I really love is this sort of shit. This is a 110 yard sling that beads like a laser straight to the mitt.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Aug 2018, 12:38pm
File Under: Macaroni, Holy: https://deadspin.com/ramon-laureano-thr ... 1828286013
I misfiled it under “Shit, Holy.”
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"