MLB 2018

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: MLB 2018

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 8:46am
Forecasting the 2019-2023 Baseball Hall of Fame Inductees
http://amp.si.com/mlb/2018/01/27/baseba ... -halladay
If true, 2021 and 2022 would be two years of celebrating colossal assholes.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 9:22am
revbob wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 8:46am
Forecasting the 2019-2023 Baseball Hall of Fame Inductees
http://amp.si.com/mlb/2018/01/27/baseba ... -halladay
If true, 2021 and 2022 would be two years of celebrating colossal assholes.
Yeah some lean years coming up. I like this quote
"...though if Schilling's Twitter feed can hinder his candidacy, maybe Haren's can help his "
Also I wonder what ARod's time in the booth will do for his chances. He's become a likeable guy as a broadcaster/analyst what have you. A stark contrast to most of the admitted/known ped users.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 9:59am
Also I wonder what ARod's time in the booth will do for his chances. He's become a likeable guy as a broadcaster/analyst what have you. A stark contrast to most of the admitted/known ped users.
If Bonds gets in, ARod has to, regardless of the suspension. Especially now that he's revitalizing his image in a big way. Plus, if that kind of image politics matters, St. Jeets' heel turn in Miami might help ARod, too. Not that I think he or the other notable juicers should get in (I'm still pretty puritan about the steroid era; their stats and records still count, but they don't merit the bonus prize of the HoF).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 10:25am
revbob wrote:
If Bonds gets in, ARod has to, regardless of the suspension. Especially now that he's revitalizing his image in a big way. Plus, if that kind of image politics matters, St. Jeets' heel turn in Miami might help ARod, too. Not that I think he or the other notable juicers should get in (I'm still pretty puritan about the steroid era; their stats and records still count, but they don't merit the bonus prize of the HoF).
Yeah I feel the same way. The problem is it is impossible to know everyone who is tainted. Schilling for instance is pretty vocal when it comes to being anti-ped, but then so has every other user before they got caught.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 10:39am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 10:25am
revbob wrote:
Yeah I feel the same way. The problem is it is impossible to know everyone who is tainted. Schilling for instance is pretty vocal when it comes to being anti-ped, but then so has every other user before they got caught.
Given that, even amongst the SABRiest of voters, a certain gut-level element in deciding their vote—even deciding which stats are more important is a pretty personal decision—I've got no issue with the HoF voters making a best-estimate of whether a guy was a user, how deeply, and whether it matters. Schilling and Pedro and Jeter, nah, I don't think they did. Papi, yeah, I think he was right to the end. His skills right to the end were astounding and we should be wary enough after all these years of that kind of performance at that age. But there's no evidence, unlike with guys like Bonds, Clemens, and ARod, so I'd shrug and give him a pass.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

So the thing about LAA vs MON, we invite Vladdy to ceremonies and first pitches, etc, all the time. A defunct franchise can't compete with that.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 2:23pm
So the thing about LAA vs MON, we invite Vladdy to ceremonies and first pitches, etc, all the time. A defunct franchise can't compete with that.
Its all good. I initially thought it was a sort of participation trophy for the Angels since they had no HOF representation. It does not seem to be the case though

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

revbob wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 3:54pm
tepista wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 2:23pm
Its all good. I initially thought it was a sort of participation trophy for the Angels since they had no HOF representation. It does not seem to be the case though
He did win his MVP with us. We should have extended him one more year.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I’ll weigh in as a lifetime baseball fan. I don’t like the steroid era, though it was the era I grew up on. That said, to keep these guys out is silly. In my opinion - a player who is HOF worthy is HOF worthy with or without PED’s. Bonds was a HOF player before he ever juiced. Clemens was a HOF player before he took PED’s. I don’t condone the use and I think the game is better without them - but PED’s didn’t give Bonds his swing or Clemens his slider. Baseball writers are an interesting lot. I know a few of them. They can be very high and mighty. It’s a hard decision to make, but all I hope is that they look deeper at the individual players: would this guy have made the hall without PED’s? A lot of them would have. Bonds had one of the best swings I’ve ever seen.

...and meanwhile...Pete Rose doesn’t even have a chance. Bonds can at least gets votes...but Rose can’t? How is that fair??
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

When they came for the racists, I did not speak up. I probably should have, being a Red Sox fan, but there you go.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jan 2018, 5:06pm
When they came for the racists, I did not speak up. I probably should have, being a Red Sox fan, but there you go.
:lol:
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Definitely. Baseball's become way too serious. Anything that recovers aspects of 1970s baseball, when things were seriously loopy, is aces to me. If you've never read Dan Epstein's Big Hair and Plastic Grass, rectify that immediately. It makes a good argument for the 70s being the best decade of baseball ever because it embraced every silly idea and ran with it.