MLB 2018

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: MLB 2018

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 6:20am
Meanwhile, I assume Boone has been fired for losing a series to the Twins.
He's such a drastic change from Girardi. I've got mixed feelings about him, I haven't watched any more than a few innings here and there this season. I get the feeling that he's not a top tier manager but one who gets the job done well enough. Judges and Didis injuries have really hurt them. Other players have grossly underperformed Sanchez, Bird how much is injuries I dont know.
A very inconsistent starting rotation undermines the bullpen. Happ has been a godsend, Sonny Gray is a lost cause. Im rambling...
I guess I dont see what firing Boone does (I know you weren't advocating that) but I think teams often fire a manager because they need to look like they are doing something not because its likely to make a difference.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 7:46am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 6:20am
Meanwhile, I assume Boone has been fired for losing a series to the Twins.
He's such a drastic change from Girardi. I've got mixed feelings about him, I haven't watched any more than a few innings here and there this season. I get the feeling that he's not a top tier manager but one who gets the job done well enough. Judges and Didis injuries have really hurt them. Other players have grossly underperformed Sanchez, Bird how much is injuries I dont know.
A very inconsistent starting rotation undermines the bullpen. Happ has been a godsend, Sonny Gray is a lost cause. Im rambling...
I guess I dont see what firing Boone does (I know you weren't advocating that) but I think teams often fire a manager because they need to look like they are doing something not because its likely to make a difference.
Yeah, it's hard to attribute degrees of player/team success or failure on the manager without knowing what goes on behind closed doors. That so many Red Sox players are playing at peak levels after underperforming last year—is that on Cora? Just getting rid of Farrell? A coincidence? I dunno. Boone doesn't seem like he's all that engaged (like, say, Girardi) but who knows if that's the case or even relevant. Maybe that's what Cashman wants, like Michael Lewis depicted Art Howe in Moneyball—project calm leadership and stay out of the way.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Uhhh...they're on-pace to win 100 games for the first time since the title season of '09 despite almost never fielding a healthy batting order the whole year, and have put together one of the best team bullpen seasons in MLB history. And did it at >$20M under the lux tax and 1-1/2 years ahead of schedule on their rebuilding plan thanks to Torres and Andujar dominating freaky early in their pro careers. There ain't nothing adrift whatsoever in the Bronx. The Sox having the best regular season in franchise history and Houston being the defending champs coming back arguably more complete than last year just leaves the AL the most extremely and fluky top-heavy it's ever been in recent memory such that they get bizarrely knocked as having a "too-quiet" 100-win pace or some made-up talk radio BS like that. I guarantee no one--least of all the other two 100-win pace teams in the league--is ever going to take them lightly in a short series with Gregorius and Judge back in the lineup, and days off between PO games keeping the entire pen depth more or less available from the 3rd inning on if any starter is even a *little* off.

If it's not their year...hey, the Sox are in absolute fucked lux tax hell this offseason at the death penalty rate for repeat offenders and probably have to trade one cornerstone young contract like a Bradley or Boggerts to have any fluid cash whatsoever for a regular offseason's worth of transactions. Cashman's got enough liquidity to sign Bryce Fucking Harper or a #1 starter and still be under the tax...all while running a year-plus ahead of schedule with the new core. Boone's only demerit is small sample size. He did everything pretty much pitch-perfect this year, but that's while having a coaching and advisory staff 10 rows deep behind him debating the virtues of every decision and whispering quietly in his ear. He hasn't had to overachieve on sheer guile like those several years of Girardi being handed pu-pu platters of AAAA benches and bullpens to duct-tape together through injuries and hole-plugging. Girardi broke away from the pack and went from "Binder Boy" to elite manager once he started getting successes out of that duct-taped flotsam way too consistently year after year for the mathtitses to be able to explain the extent of the overperformance by terms of luck. That's rare enough in a sport where most managers are little better than placebo, but it sure took way more than a couple years for that overachieving knack to show itself. Boone probably doesn't have that out of sheer rarity, but it's also not like we'd be able to say one way or the other any sooner than Year 3 whether he brings anything above-and-beyond placebo effect. I mean, they did win 91 under Girardi last season so it's not like 'placebo' would've had an overly difficult shot at 100 given what names in that lineup had an extra year of experience under their belt.

I'm happy as shit with how this season has gone, regardless of how much deeper it goes. I'm just praying, for my own PTSD treatment's sake, that Nate Eovaldi dons the Remiro Mendoza Memorial Embedded Yankee hat for one playoff game and tosses one of his "trademark" projectile-shits-into-a-fan 5-run innings at terrifyingly faster speed than Cora can reasonably get another reliever warm. Just like old times. After all, at the end of the day this is what Randy Levine's Mob Ties™ are paying him good money to be an ex-Yankee for. :shifty:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

When you put it that way, I guess the Yankees won 2018 going away and the Red Sox are, once again, fucked for a generation. :cool:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Thank you Ratty for putting things in perspective. They certainly are a good team and seeing the news that Judge should be back certainly is cause for optimism. I do think they can win the WC game but Im not sure the pitching can take them far enough in a playoff series especially with Severino being such a coin flip lately. I had concerns about the starting pitching early on and its only gotten worse. Happ is the one silver lining (thanks Inder). I suppose Severino could get his shit together and Tanaka could continue his current success. I guess I have enough shit going on that Im not prepared to fully invest in this team.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

The new Yankee Stadium has all the charm of a Route 9 strip mall.

Aaron Boone is boob.

Go Mets.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 7:49pm
When you put it that way, I guess the Yankees won 2018 going away and the Red Sox are, once again, fucked for a generation. :cool:
No...I think the Sox are having a season for the ages, and that's exactly what they hired Dombrowski to take big risks for. Those risks include cauterizing all of Cherington's bad signees with considerable brutality to enable a roster free from malingerers while the core is peaking. He has a 20+ years established method of betting on very short windows and airing out every cent of his payroll flex to go for broke during those short windows. It all comes--and every Sox fan should know this by now--with the stipulation that when the short window is closing that he has a very quick hook and will start breaking up the roster core with painful trades to re-establish all that spent payroll headroom to go looking for the next window. Because that's the only way to reload quickly without dead-or-dying money and/or emptied farm systems sucking the oxygen out of the team.

The upside is that they aren't the Dodgers, who stared at the coming repeat-offender lux tax death penalty rate thinking their window was a good 2 years longer than it actually was...re-signed everyone to max long-term contracts WHILE taking on more vet salary lard in acquisitions...and are now ultra-fucked because they're stuck in a fatiguing dogfight with a glut of fellow 85-win teams for the last playoff spot in one of the weakest NL races in recent memory while looking painfully past-prime. If you don't have a F.O. that acts fast and with some brutality at timing their windows and lux tax overpays, you drown and end up becoming the post-Amaro, Jr. Phillies for several years. And that's where the Dodgers are headed, because they hedged complacently against the inevitable march of diminishing returns with their tax status.

Sox fans who spent good dough on a Bradley jersey might not like it that Dombrowski's going to trade a franchise cornerstone or two in a blockbuster to get his payroll leeway back, but they'll get over player loyalty in a hurry when they realize that brutality is what's allowed him to for 2 decades keep reloading for a new 2-3 -year plan--regardless of which team he's at the helm of--without being asphyxiated by dead payroll like every team that wished too hard for a second bite at their window. The risk is that if they didn't have things come together post-Farrell like this he'd have to skip windows because of the sheer quantity of dead money left to launder in a season where the AA/AAA eschelons of the system were unusually thin...but getting favorable results out of those yuuuuuge risks is exactly why he makes the big bucks and is a mortal lock for the HOF.

The Yankees simply aren't competing head-to-head on that timetable. This wasn't supposed to be a "window" year, because this was the lux tax reset year and Cashman was never changing strides on that schedule. They're way ahead on both farm-to-star graduates and getting deeper-than-expected under the tax threshold during their expiration year as a result of the farm being stratospherically ahead of schedule, but they were not in a position to take on any '19 vet salary in midseason trades because this was not a window year. That's next year when literally every rostered player Age 31 and older is a UFA (Brett Gardner, Dave Robertson, C.C. Sabbathia, J.A. Happ, Neil Walker, Lance Lynn, Andrew McCutchen) and either goes by the boards or re-signs (e.g. Sabbathia or Happ if they want to put off retirement one more year) at a paycut. If they make good on a year-early entry into the window, great. But that was not going to ever deter them from going into a tax-free offseason carrying literally only Stanton, Chapman, and the disappeared/presumed-dead Ellsbury into the offseason as vet contracts with all 37 other spots on the Winter Meetings 40-man comprised of either arb-eligibles or pre-arb. Then take advantage by signing two or more of the Gregorious/Judge/Severino/Sanchez group to ultra- long-term deals before playing their hand in the Harper-or-elsewhere sweepstakes.

It's not the same as when both teams were head-to-head chasing the same type of window in the same year. Maybe that's why it seems like it's not that hot a 'rivalry' year or that they're not exactly playing for the same thing despite the oddity of BOS and NYY having the #1 and #2 records in MLB for most of the year to-date. It's because the respective F.O.'s are on such diametrically different plans for their windows. At the end of the day they're still head-to-head chasing the prize...but coming to blows from very oblique angles further askew from where they usually meet.

This AL year has been so extreme and bizarre somebody could write a good nerd book about it in the end. The only thing conventional about these playoff races is Houston looking like a prototypical younger-core defending champ...although even they are having an abnormally stronger all-around defending season than anyone in recent memory.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Ah, Ratty, you know I enjoy and respect you, but for as long as there have been baseball threadx you've been consistent in two things: the future for the Yankees looks really good because Cashman is head and shoulders over his peers; and the Red Sox budget makes them fucked going forward regardless of any current success. Theo to Ben to Dave, they've always crippled the team with their deals. I've got no issue with the former, but neither you nor I have any inside knowledge of Henry et al's financial plans, now or then, how much luxury tax they're willing to endure, and for how long. We have no idea how much profit the team makes and how much each of the owners expects. The Henry teams have been fun and satisfying (excepting a season or two) despite constant assurances of them being crippled for a generation, so I'm good with all that.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Different topic: I'd trade Olaf's lefty raccoon nut for a three-way tie between the Dodgers, Cards, and D-Backs for the second wildcard. Scheduling chaos and a bucketload of one-game playoffs is great post-season tension.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 7:15am
Different topic: I'd trade Olaf's lefty raccoon nut for a three-way tie between the Dodgers, Cards, and D-Backs for the second wildcard. Scheduling chaos and a bucketload of one-game playoffs is great post-season tension.
anything that grinds all three of those teams into powder before they get to a real postseason is fine by me.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Wolter wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 8:51am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
anything that grinds all three of those teams into powder before they get to a real postseason is fine by me.
Snakes gotta pick it up a bit to keep pace but so far BestFans and 6-inningFans are doing their part .500'ing themselves into a gelatinous goo and making sure their starters stay perpetually tired throughout Sept. First round is going to be must-not-see TV with how strung out they're gonna be.

Can we make the Cubs honorary AL WC#3 and just cancel the rest of the NL plz?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

In 2003, we were really close to a Cubs-Red Sox WS that was understood to be (if it happened) a sweet relief/horrible curse kind of cataclysm. (Thanks, Dusty and Grady, for saving the world!) Fifteen years later, there's a decent shot it might come to pass and it would no longer have much importance in the context of baseball history. Tho I guess it could resurrect the 1918 chants again.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Rat Patrol wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 11:31am
Wolter wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 8:51am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Snakes gotta pick it up a bit to keep pace but so far BestFans and 6-inningFans are doing their part .500'ing themselves into a gelatinous goo and making sure their starters stay perpetually tired throughout Sept. First round is going to be must-not-see TV with how strung out they're gonna be.

Can we make the Cubs honorary AL WC#3 and just cancel the rest of the NL plz?
Hilariously, the Cubs are phoning it in so much that they’re lucky everyone else is stumbling worse.

Did I say hilariously? I meant infuriatingly.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 11:44am
In 2003, we were really close to a Cubs-Red Sox WS that was understood to be (if it happened) a sweet relief/horrible curse kind of cataclysm. (Thanks, Dusty and Grady, for saving the world!) Fifteen years later, there's a decent shot it might come to pass and it would no longer have much importance in the context of baseball history. Tho I guess it could resurrect the 1918 chants again.
Astros! Braves! It's the Waffle House and FEMA trailer series on Fox! X(

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 11:55am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2018, 11:44am
Astros! Braves! It's the Waffle House and FEMA trailer series on Fox! X(
:lol: As always, my preference if there are no teams I like in it, I want the worst match-up possible for Fox. Watching Joe Buck try to do a game without celebrities in the crowd to captivate his interest is enjoyable just for his three-plus hours of bored agony.