MLB 2018

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: MLB 2018

Post by Dr. Medulla »

This s great:
https://deadspin.com/felix-hernandez-ca ... 1828179445

Somewhere Goose is angrily adjusting his MAGA hat.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 6:16am
revbob wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 11:34pm
Boston is a VERY GOOD team certainly the best team in MLB right now, but they just swept what has become a pretty mediocre Yankee team. Shit I look at the lineup and who the hell are some of these guys not the same team from the last time they played.
Which ignores all the injuries in the Red Sox line-up during that series: Sale, Rodriguez, Pedroia, Devers, Kinsler (partway), Vasquez, Swihart. Judge and Sanchez going down create a significant hole in the batting order, but the Yankees aren't the only team dealing with injuries.
You raise some good points but Peddy ain't played all year and the core of the Sox batting order (Betts, Italian guy, he's like an Italian Markakis and Martinez) are intact. Again Sox best team in mlb and Yankees right now are not as good as their record would otherwise indicate.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 6:55am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 6:16am
revbob wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 11:34pm
Boston is a VERY GOOD team certainly the best team in MLB right now, but they just swept what has become a pretty mediocre Yankee team. Shit I look at the lineup and who the hell are some of these guys not the same team from the last time they played.
Which ignores all the injuries in the Red Sox line-up during that series: Sale, Rodriguez, Pedroia, Devers, Kinsler (partway), Vasquez, Swihart. Judge and Sanchez going down create a significant hole in the batting order, but the Yankees aren't the only team dealing with injuries.
You raise some good points but Peddy ain't played all year and the core of the Sox batting order (Betts, Italian guy, he's like an Italian Markakis and Martinez) are intact. Again Sox best team in mlb and Yankees right now are not as good as their record would otherwise indicate.
:lol: But does he really exist?

My only point is that citing injuries to explain the sweep is dubious given that Boston never played a single game with their ideal lineup (indeed, three of the ideal starting eight—Vasquez, Devers, and Pedroia/Kinsler—were gone). They even had a game with Betts playing second. Starting Nunez and Holt regularly is not a good thing.

This Yankees team is reminding me of those tantalizing and frustrating Red Sox teams of old—a lot of great sluggers but iffy pitching, so if the hitting isn't on, the team looks pretty pedestrian. That all-or-nothing character is a helluva rollercoaster to ride.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'm sure Werth instructed Boras not to cite any kind of statistics when negotiating his contract. "Let 'em see my guts and my heart. Numbers are for homos."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

John Gibbons' body language is that of a guy who knows the collective agreement and won't exert one bit of energy that ain't in his job description.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 9:06pm
John Gibbons' body language is that of a guy who knows the collective agreement and won't exert one bit of energy that ain't in his job description.
I love Gibby — hope they keep him in the org if they're dead-set on a total reset for the Vlad era.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 9:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 9:06pm
I love Gibby — hope they keep him in the org if they're dead-set on a total reset for the Vlad era.

I have no clue whether he's that good of a manager or whether he's just good enough not to be a negative, but his demeanour has become one of the best things about watching Jays games. There's a guy who seems totally comfortable about himself and his environment.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

My favourite Gibby moment over the past two seasons:

(Gibbons from the dugout) Hey! Flip a coin!

(Little tosses out Gibbons)

(Gibby saunters towards home plate)

How is your f*#%ing day? Were you out all f*#%ing night?

Nobody knows what you’re going to f*#%ing call. One time it’s up, one time it’s down. One time it’s in. This pitcher hasn’t walked four guys in his f*#%ing life.

(Little shrugs, gives a smug look)

Don’t give me that f*#%ing shrug. Tell me you had a horseshit day – one time – we all do, okay?

OHHHH, you’re not f*#%ing doing it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Definitely one thing baseball has over other sports—managers getting ejected and then going off on umpires before they leave. Guys who can reliably get creative in their tirades merit automatic HoF inclusion. A dvd of nothing but Earl Weaver getting ejected would sell shitloads.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Took a look at Baseball Prospectus' postseason odds calculator this morning. The Red Sox are predicted to have the majors' best regular season by around eight games (108 to the Yankees' and Astros' 100), but the lowest likelihood of winning the WS of any current division leader except for the NL East. An indictment of the pitching staff/bullpen, I imagine.

Boddington
Junco Partner

Post by Boddington »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 8:30am
Took a look at Baseball Prospectus' postseason odds calculator this morning. The Red Sox are predicted to have the majors' best regular season by around eight games (108 to the Yankees' and Astros' 100), but the lowest likelihood of winning the WS of any current division leader except for the NL East. An indictment of the pitching staff/bullpen, I imagine.
Probably, and our pen isn't great, but you only have to look to last night to see what this offense can do. Yes, it was against the lowly O's, but posting up 19 runs against an MLB staff is still impressive. Also, this team is fun, which I really haven't felt since 2013. We're outperforming our pythag (and the Astros are under-performing) but at this point, I'm still pretty confident, especially with some of these come from behind wins the team is churning out lately. Also, we've got a chance to slide some starters who have been on the DL into the 'pen for the playoffs, giving us some fresher arms. Seeing who gets the AAA callups in September will be interesting, as they've moved some arms up from AA who have been doing fairly well with the jump. So if those guys can spell folks like Kimbrel and Barnes, who our more reliable late inning arms, and set them up for a postseason run, that could work. Also Pom/Johnson/heck, even Price, can be pretty lethal coming out of the 'pen on short rest. So we good.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Boddington wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 10:39am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 8:30am
Probably, and our pen isn't great, but you only have to look to last night to see what this offense can do. Yes, it was against the lowly O's, but posting up 19 runs against an MLB staff is still impressive. Also, this team is fun, which I really haven't felt since 2013. We're outperforming our pythag (and the Astros are under-performing) but at this point, I'm still pretty confident, especially with some of these come from behind wins the team is churning out lately. Also, we've got a chance to slide some starters who have been on the DL into the 'pen for the playoffs, giving us some fresher arms. Seeing who gets the AAA callups in September will be interesting, as they've moved some arms up from AA who have been doing fairly well with the jump. So if those guys can spell folks like Kimbrel and Barnes, who our more reliable late inning arms, and set them up for a postseason run, that could work. Also Pom/Johnson/heck, even Price, can be pretty lethal coming out of the 'pen on short rest. So we good.
I think Houston is better, pound for pound, but not overwhelmingly so. The gap is close enough that gaining home field advantage would be huge. But I agree 100% that the team is just plain fun to watch. He may not have taken on any kind of leadership role, but the team feels like it's Mookie's. Loose, confident, and enjoying their work immensely. I watch games and often think about how goddamned wonderful it must be to have that kind of talent and to enjoy it (compare that to, say, Nomar, who I loved, but never played with much seeming joy). I'll be disappointed if they don't win the WS only because they're good enough to do so, but regardless it's been such a damned fun season to follow that I can't be that bummed out if they fall short.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sox-Orioles on. Steve Lyons in the booth, because the Lord has forsaken us. Steve Lyons trying to describe what WAR means, because the Lord has really forsaken us. Without a doubt one of the low points in the season.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I find it interesting that seemingly nobody is mentioning that the Sox have the highest payroll. Yeah I just mentioned it but Im a nobody.