IMCT Celebrity Death Pool 2018

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: IMCT Celebrity Death Pool 2018

Post by Wolter »

”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

WestwayKid wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 9:24am
Not sure if there are any fellow racing fans out there, but Dan Gurney passed away on Sunday. One of the best ever. Masterful car control. The only driver to ever win a Formula 1 race in a car of his own design. He pioneered the “rear” engine car at Indianapolis. He won Le Mans in 1967 co-driving with A.J. Foyt. He was the only driver the great Jim Clark ever feared on the track. He later became an influential car builder. Just an amazing guy and a true hero for generations of fans and drivers.
I love racing, I thought I was the only one. Great racer.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 2:00pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Not sure if there are any fellow racing fans out there, but Dan Gurney passed away on Sunday. One of the best ever. Masterful car control. The only driver to ever win a Formula 1 race in a car of his own design. He pioneered the “rear” engine car at Indianapolis. He won Le Mans in 1967 co-driving with A.J. Foyt. He was the only driver the great Jim Clark ever feared on the track. He later became an influential car builder. Just an amazing guy and a true hero for generations of fans and drivers.
You were the only one until September of last year! :mrgreen:

That generation of drivers - they just had something special. I've heard them described as WW2 fighter pilots without a war. They seemed to have that same fatalistic nature - that devil may care attitude. They looked and acted dead cool.

Here's a chilling stat. 17 cars were entered in the 1967 Grand Prix of Monaco (including Dan Gurney). Of those 17, 9 were killed within 10 years. That's 53 percent.

Gurney was such a neat guy. By the time I was old enough to get into racing, he was long retired as a driver...but I encountered him several times at various tracks and he was always super friendly and humble.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

BostonBeaneater

WestwayKid wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 2:16pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

That generation of drivers - they just had something special. I've heard them described as WW2 fighter pilots without a war. They seemed to have that same fatalistic nature - that devil may care attitude. They looked and acted dead cool.

Here's a chilling stat. 17 cars were entered in the 1967 Grand Prix of Monaco (including Dan Gurney). Of those 17, 9 were killed within 10 years. That's 53 percent.

Gurney was such a neat guy. By the time I was old enough to get into racing, he was long retired as a driver...but I encountered him several times at various tracks and he was always super friendly and humble.
I do a racing podcast with a few friends. We’ve snagged some great interviews with the likes of Mario Andretti, Bob Varsha, Alex Rossi, and David Hobbs. Check us out:

http://f1anddone.com

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
That's pretty insane.

I've just been down a rabbit hole for 3 hours checking out all the deaths, and reading up on Le Mans 1955. I'm not a racing fan but find the tragic side of it fascinating. I just can't understand why people would put themselves in that kind of position with those statistics following them around.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 4:53pm
WestwayKid wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I do a racing podcast with a few friends. We’ve snagged some great interviews with the likes of Mario Andretti, Bob Varsha, Alex Rossi, and David Hobbs. Check us out:

http://f1anddone.com
I definitely will check it out!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 5:25pm
WestwayKid wrote:
That's pretty insane.

I've just been down a rabbit hole for 3 hours checking out all the deaths, and reading up on Le Mans 1955. I'm not a racing fan but find the tragic side of it fascinating. I just can't understand why people would put themselves in that kind of position with those statistics following them around.
That's a hard question to answer. I'll let Tony Kanaan, who is one of my favorite drivers, answer it:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/tony- ... n-indycar/

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
That's pretty insane.

My dad went to his first race when he was 12 - back in 1962 - and he was hooked and he passed that passion down to me. Whether I pass it down to my son (he's only 8) remains to be seen.

It can be a brutal sport to follow. I've attended many races and while I've thankfully never seen a fatal accident in person - I've seen more than my share live on television.

You follow these drivers week in and week out. You cheer them on and when one of them is killed - it can be really hard. I was a huge fan of Dan Wheldon and when he was killed at Las Vegas in 2007 - it shook me up pretty bad.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

WestwayKid wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 7:00pm
Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
That's pretty insane.

That's a hard question to answer. I'll let Tony Kanaan, who is one of my favorite drivers, answer it:

Not much of a petrolhead, but I enjoyed that piece. Kind of reminded when George Mallory was once asked why he would risk his life to climb Everest. “Because it’s there,” he replied.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Low Down Low wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 7:06pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
That's pretty insane.

Not much of a petrolhead, but I enjoyed that piece. Kind of reminded when George Mallory was once asked why he would risk his life to climb Everest. “Because it’s there,” he replied.
I just had that exact same quote in my head as I wrote up my initial response!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
That's pretty insane.

All well and good but the thought of being trapped in a car getting burned alive would make me reassess personally.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BostonBeaneater

Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
That's pretty insane.

Why do people mix heroin and cocaine?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 7:19pm
They really don't want to do anymore movies with Dan Aykroyd?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 7:30pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 7:19pm
They really don't want to do anymore movies with Dan Aykroyd?
I just laughed my ass off and then started coughing and now my boss decides she's concerned about my health.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy