MLB 2017

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: MLB 2017

Post by BostonBeaneater »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 1:27am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Dec 2017, 2:26pm
Three days ago, I started watching the 2013 ALCS, and just fired up Game 4. If I'm a Tigers fan this series has to just fucking haunt. Yes, the Sox pitching was good, but the Tigers pitching was great. Just amazing that Boston won that series.
I had no high hopes there. That should have been Detroit’s year.
That 2013 run cured a lot of the banality of winning left by the 2007 team. They were insincere robots of baseball, prolly Flex’x’s favoritest team.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Anytime your sports team wins a championship, it fucking rules.

Also, I got to go to the '07 series and see the sox win it all person, an ultimate bucket list item, so I'll never speak ill of that squad.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Flex wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 1:59am
Anytime your sports team wins a championship, it fucking rules.

Also, I got to go to the '07 series and see the sox win it all person, an ultimate bucket list item, so I'll never speak ill of that squad.
A win against the Cards trumps winning in Denver, sorry robot.

Also, go Cards:

https://deadspin.com/miles-mikolas-note ... 1821031664

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 1:30am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 1:27am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Dec 2017, 2:26pm
Three days ago, I started watching the 2013 ALCS, and just fired up Game 4. If I'm a Tigers fan this series has to just fucking haunt. Yes, the Sox pitching was good, but the Tigers pitching was great. Just amazing that Boston won that series.
I had no high hopes there. That should have been Detroit’s year.
That 2013 run cured a lot of the banality of winning left by the 2007 team. They were insincere robots of baseball, prolly Flex’x’s favoritest team.
The way I've described the three WS teams:
2004: Cathartic
2007: Confirmation
2013: Fluke

2013 was my favourite of the three because it shouldn't have happened based on expectations and the goofiness of the players. Both 2004 and 2007 were teams built to win, so there was a tension to watching them—you bastards better win! why aren't you winning?—whereas 2013 was just a fun ride that had the beautiful payoff. Flex is right that whenever your team wins it's fantastic, but I prefer magical over calculated.

(Also, 2013 doesn't have that after-the-fact discomfort of Schilling to look past.)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

2013 was such a kick to the balls Toronto sports fans.

Farrell quits the team for his "dream job," then AA bets the farm (literally) on Josh Johnson, Reyes, Dickey, etc. Johnson is injured/trash, Dickey eats innings but isn't really spectacular, Reyes is injured — the team's basically cooked by June. Buehrle, of all people, was the only really positive thing to come out of those trades.

And the 2013 Leafs... Who Had A Better Free Agency Day: Dave Nonis or a Potato?
The Leafs were in a playoff position for much of the season but a two-win, 14-loss stretch to close the season caused them to miss the playoffs.
And then Farrell falling ass-backwards into a championship because... of course he did. :curses1: :curses1: :curses1: :curses1: :curses1:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Toronto loathing for Farrell is more than a little irrational. Yes, he left you for his true love and immediately lucked into a championship. But do you think you were losing the missing piece to a championship or prolonged run of dominance? He hadn't exactly won over anyone during his year there. Hell, he never really won over Red Sox fans either; when he got canned the reactions were divided between "Thank fuck" and "Oh well, whatever."
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I don't think it's irrational to resent the guy who dumped your team for a divisional rival while mailing in his last season, then takes shots at your team on his way out. I mean, he was a real dick about it.

The point being, Gibby the best:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 5:17pm
I don't think it's irrational to resent the guy who dumped your team for a divisional rival while mailing in his last season, then takes shots at your team on his way out. I mean, he was a real dick about it.

The point being, Gibby the best:

And that's kind of what I'm talking about. You got rid of the mediocre guy—I don't know if he actually mailed in that season or he was just managing to his skill level; he did generate a couple last-place finishes in Boston, after all—and replaced him with a guy who got the Jays to consecutive ALCS appearances after a generation of zero post-season. Would Farrell have achieved that? Maybe, maybe not. So, sure, he wasn't exactly honourable in how he left the team, but it's more than arguable that it worked out for the better for the Jays. If you're in a relationship with a a skeevy woman and she dumps you for another guy and you find someone much better, maybe it's worthwhile being glad that she's no longer holding you back from being with the better woman. You don't have to have warm fuzzies for the guy, but be glad that he was there longer, given how things worked out.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

But Doc,

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

you wouldn't have achieved ANY of that if we didn't relieve you of Vernon Wells' contract, so you're both welcome.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 5:43pm
But Doc,

And I just want you to be happy. :cry:

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

tepista wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 5:58pm
you wouldn't have achieved ANY of that if we didn't relieve you of Vernon Wells' contract, so you're both welcome.
That is #2 behind the Donaldson trade in AA's Greatest Hits.

Also,

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

What? I'd need a source on that story.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Inder wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 6:06pm
tepista wrote:
06 Dec 2017, 5:58pm
That is #2 behind the Donaldson trade in AA's Greatest Hits.

Also,

God that’s funny.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://ca.reuters.com/article/domestic ... 00D0-OCADN

Rogers is a piss-poor owner—playing in a massive city and officially controlling all of Canada for viewing market should mean regularly putting together a very competitive team—so good riddance if it comes to it.